What make and model worth renew COE after 10 years

Maskedrider

you have the same problem as I am. My COE due in late Dec with a OMV of $54k.

Before i go into PQP, i like to touch on maintenance. You need to take into consideration of reliability of Audi, if you are comfortable with its reliability because you have been driving it, then it is fine.

You also need to understand the fact that older car would need more frequent repair, is the repair cost of Audi expensive ? this is a consideration because the cost will stack on, again it is your comfort level.

Next is about parts supply. Audi is not a most common COE brand, letting alone A5 is not the most common Audi model, so you have to consider parts availability after say 5 years.

Now lets consider PQP which is a tough question. First is whether PQP would go up by say $10k in Feb? no one knows but it is possible. Question is what is your linear depre write off now ? if your linear depre is $13k/year, then if you renew COE now, you will have to write off 10 months of depre which is about $10k. dont forget, you also lose driving the car for 10 months, meaning in 10 years later, you will have to buy a new car 10 months earlier as compare to you renew your COE in Feb next year, that would add on another $5K of additional expense(because the depre of your COE A5 should be around 7k ayear). All in, 10k+5K about $15k.

So your risk of renewing COE now is $15K if COE will to stay at current level. But COE staying at current level is not very high. Soyour risk is likely to be lower than $15k.

But if you delay your re validation, assuming COE will to go up by 20K? your risk of delaying is only $5k compare with you renew now with a write off of $15k.

Which one would you bet on? I have no answer because I am in the same boat as you are, same boat but different car.

Great information. Btw, what is the model of your car pending COE renewal?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Great information. Btw, what is the model of your car pending COE renewal?

HI, PM you, old car already,  I dare not to mention to many times here before i get scolding. 

Would like to get some forummer advice here - I have an Audi A5. Lovely ride. But coe expires Feb 2010.

Iâd like to renew the coe but seems that itâs on uptrend. The current pqp for April is 35k.

If I renew by end April, Iâll secure 35k renewal but Iâll lose 9 months of existing coe.

The OMV is 47k.

What do you all think? Renew now or wait until next year and bet the poor economy will bring coe down?

Well said by bro CT3833.

Beside condition of the car and part supply. U also need to know there is no resale value for COE car should u decide to let go next time. How i know? Bcos i am experiencing that with my COE car. Dealer only take in at paper value. Thankfully the car is not giving me problem, just that my backside is itchy to change. Haha.

Regardless of car present condition, i dont think parts like gearbox and engine can last 20 yrs without overhaul. The servicing cost will be higher bcos each time u will realise this one must change, that part must change, and so on.

• Praise 1

you have the same problem as I am. My COE due in late Dec with a OMV of $54k.

Before i go into PQP, i like to touch on maintenance. You need to take into consideration of reliability of Audi, if you are comfortable with its reliability because you have been driving it, then it is fine.

You also need to understand the fact that older car would need more frequent repair, is the repair cost of Audi expensive ? this is a consideration because the cost will stack on, again it is your comfort level.

Next is about parts supply. Audi is not a most common COE brand, letting alone A5 is not the most common Audi model, so you have to consider parts availability after say 5 years.

Now lets consider PQP which is a tough question. First is whether PQP would go up by say $10k in Feb? no one knows but it is possible. Question is what is your linear depre write off now ? if your linear depre is $13k/year, then if you renew COE now, you will have to write off 10 months of depre which is about $10k. dont forget, you also lose driving the car for 10 months, meaning in 10 years later, you will have to buy a new car 10 months earlier as compare to you renew your COE in Feb next year, that would add on another $5K of additional expense(because the depre of your COE A5 should be around 7k ayear). All in, 10k+5K about $15k.

So your risk of renewing COE now is $15K if COE will to stay at current level. But COE staying at current level is not very high. Soyour risk is likely to be lower than $15k.

But if you delay your re validation, assuming COE will to go up by 20K? your risk of delaying is only $5k compare with you renew now with a write off of $15k.

Which one would you bet on? I have no answer because I am in the same boat as you are, same boat but different car.

Same situation for me. My COE due only in Aug 2020. So a bit too far away to consider early renewal despite the low PQP.

I will just wait and see and if by then the PQP is too much to stomach then I get another expiring car and play the same game again. Haha...

Same situation for me. My COE due only in Aug 2020. So a bit too far away to consider early renewal despite the low PQP.

I will just wait and see and if by then the PQP is too much to stomach then I get another expiring car and play the same game again. Haha...

another one in the same boat, haha .  is your cat A or B? I think if depre is not too high, can make a decision shortly.

another one in the same boat, haha . is your cat A or B? I think if depre is not too high, can make a decision shortly.

Cat B. Have the same OMV as yours. Think probably the same car model...Haha.

The only downside of this hesitation is that I am not doing mods to the car like rims or tuning which I think would be wasted if I change car subsequently.

Part of me also want to try other cars in the similar range.

So in all considerstion..just wait and see...and maintain the car well in the meantime.

(edited)

Cat B. Have the same OMV as yours. Think probably the same car model...Haha.

The only downside of this hesitation is that I am not doing mods to the car like rims or tuning which I think would be wasted if I change car subsequently.

Part of me also want to try other cars in the similar range.

So in all considerstion..just wait and see...and maintain the car well in the meantime.

good to know. I have just replaced to a set of used 18" rims recently because i will renew COE.  see if this is the same model as yours? 

I tried plug in a race chip recently  but didnt feel much diff, so I took it out again. After all 181bhp is decent for my ah pek driving style.

maintenance wise, this car is easy to maintain, well built but not being over engineered, so i dont think there should be problem. 

post-84721-0-98917200-1554435210_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

good to know. I have just replaced to a set of used 18" rims recently because i will renew COE. see if this is the same model as yours?

I tried plug in a race chip recently but didnt feel much diff, so I took it out again. After all 181bhp is decent for my ah pek driving style.

maintenance wise, this car is easy to maintain, well built but not being over engineered, so i dont think there should be problem.

Same model but slightly higher tune at 201hp. I did consider the used AMG rims like yours which looks very good on our cars.

Think for tuning the piggyback chips don't work as well as a ECU tuning. For our models you may want to consider a throttle controller instead which can improve the throttle response.

• Praise 1

Same model but slightly higher tune at 201hp. I did consider the used AMG rims like yours which looks very good on our cars.

Think for tuning the piggyback chips don't work as well as a ECU tuning. For our models you may want to consider a throttle controller instead which can improve the throttle response.

E250 is the sweet spot for COE renewal of W212.  i was looking for one but didnt manage to secure one. Thanks for sharing on the tuning.Will work on it once i go LTA to pay up the PQP. haha. 

all the best with your renewal too, lets pray that PQP wont go up to significantly. 

E250 is the sweet spot for COE renewal of W212. i was looking for one but didnt manage to secure one. Thanks for sharing on the tuning.Will work on it once i go LTA to pay up the PQP. haha.

all the best with your renewal too, lets pray that PQP wont go up to significantly.

Ours is practically the same car with only the ECU locked. But nowadays lots of tuners can tune our rides to higher potentials.

We can take this discussion via PM if you want to know more as I am currently servicing my car with a tuner.

All the best to you too! Cheers!

• Praise 1

Ours is practically the same car with only the ECU locked. But nowadays lots of tuners can tune our rides to higher potentials.

We can take this discussion via PM if you want to know more as I am currently servicing my car with a tuner.

All the best to you too! Cheers!

i think once u tune,

it become a petrol drinker  liao.

• Praise 1

Hi,

Same boat, took the plunge & renewed my A4 B8 Quattro last Apr @ $41k pqp.

In essence, current $35k pqp gives u 9yr & 3mths of drive -> $3.8k/ yr COE depre. So do your sums.

Since I renewed, I spent about $10-12k to replace worn out parts for my 3.2L V6 variant. If yours a B8 2.0T, may need to overhaul the engine to fix the engine oil leak problem. Rest are wear & tear repairs, typical of a Conti ride ownership cost. You know your car best.

Weigh your options & decide!

Cheers :)

Would like to get some forummer advice here - I have an Audi A5. Lovely ride. But coe expires Feb 2010.

I’d like to renew the coe but seems that it’s on uptrend. The current pqp for April is 35k.

If I renew by end April, I’ll secure 35k renewal but I’ll lose 9 months of existing coe.

The OMV is 47k.

What do you all think? Renew now or wait until next year and bet the poor economy will bring coe down?

• Praise 5

This looks about right for a daily drive for the kids to drive

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=810358&DL=2408

810358_1.jpg

And this looks reasonable for a 1 owner car

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=814567&DL=2264

814567_2b.jpg

Price $2,688 spacer.gifspacer.gifDepreciation
qmark_grey_16x16.png
N.A. Reg Date 04-Sep-1992
(20days COE left)

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Hi,

In essence, current $35k pqp gives u 9yr & 3mths of drive -> $3.8k/ yr COE depre. So do your sums.

Since I renewed, I spent about $10-12k to replace worn out parts for my 3.2L V6 variant. If yours a B8 2.0T, may need to overhaul the engine to fix the engine oil leak problem. Rest are wear & tear repairs, typical of a Conti ride ownership cost. You know your car best.

Wow quattro! Nice car. A4 B8 was first launched in 2008 there about and lasted all the way till 2016 or so ? that means your model is consider very new on the road being a COE car. I will be renewing my w212, also launched around 2009, I think will last me for a good 10 years too. $10k to repair seems massive, hope I wont have to spend so much but I won't be stinge on maintenance and repair too.
  • Praise 1

Wow quattro! Nice car. A4 B8 was first launched in 2008 there about and lasted all the way till 2016 or so ? that means your model is consider very new on the road being a COE car. I will be renewing my w212, also launched around 2009, I think will last me for a good 10 years too. $10k to repair seems massive, hope I wont have to spend so much but I won't be stinge on maintenance and repair too.

Since I renew, I opt to replace the worn out parts to give my ride a new lease of life.

Audi Quattro variant handles differently from their FWD variant.

Shouldn’t cut corners on repairs, else better off wif cheaper alternatives.

A little goes a long way...May your w212 serve u for many more yrs:)

• Praise 2

Hi,

Thanks all for your views. Much appreciated.

I’ll likely take the plunge and renew my Audi A5. Love the ride too much to let it go. It’s a perfect balance of sportiness and luxury (at least to me), even if it means setting aside a bit for wear and tear maintenance.

And yes the Quattro - love the ride handling. I’m able to corner at 120-130kmh and the car feels planted on the road. No way I can get that with fwd car.

• Praise 2

very poor sound proofing = noisy ride.

This looks about right for a daily drive for the kids to drive

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=810358&DL=2408

810358_1.jpg

And this looks reasonable for a 1 owner car

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=814567&DL=2264

814567_2b.jpg

Price $2,688 spacer.gifspacer.gifDepreciation
qmark_grey_16x16.png
N.A. Reg Date 04-Sep-1992
(20days COE left)