MINDEF's English Lessons

Camrysfa

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/mindef-explains-s25900-language-course-pla-officer

SINGAPORE — Language proficiency is important for foreign military officers who attend staff college courses here and the Defence Minstry will help them gain that proficiency so that they benefit from their time here, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen in Parliament yesterday (Nov 5).

He was replying to a question from Non-Constituency Member of Parliament Lina Chiam who had asked about a tender that had been called to provide an English Language course for an officer from China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA).

The course had cost S$25,900. The personalised, one-on-one, 360-hour course, was needed to get the officer to the level of proficiency conducted by a qualified English instructor, explained Dr Ng.

The Ministry of Defence had put out a tender on government’s e-procurement portal — GeBiz — for the course language course. “We had about five or six people, companies, who replied. The contract was awarded to the lowest offer that met the requirements and this was the amount of S$25,900, which worked out to about S$70 an hour. All this was in strict compliance with government’s regulations,” Dr Ng said.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Such mindset from todays' government comes as no surprise because as usual, they are callous with public's $$$. In the first place, is it even the responsibility of our government to ensure that foreign officers have the language proficiency to learn from courses conducted in English? Why not use such $$$ for local investment if indeed it is for waste.

Who benefit from the $70 / hour lesson? Perhaps a foreign military officer and a foreign language institution? [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Came across this article afew back. Iirc, this was uncovered by someone with access to GeBiz.

MOE got no good English teacher?

Just think, how much public funds they are not spending prudently?

Seriously, do we have an independent Body to audit the spending of various Ministries?

• Praise 4

Such mindset from todays' government comes as no surprise because as usual, they are callous with public's $$$. In the first place, is it even the responsibility of our government to ensure that foreign officers have the language proficiency to learn from courses conducted in English? Why not use such $$$ for local investment if indeed it is for waste.

Who benefit from the $70 / hour lesson? Perhaps a foreign military officer and a foreign language institution? [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

I believe there are some reciprocal cases. I knew of people who atteneded foreign courses which were paid by the host countries. Not all the time though.

• Praise 1

I believe there are some reciprocal cases. I knew of people who atteneded foreign courses which were paid by the host countries. Not all the time though.

tiongland paid RMB 100k for SAF officers to learn mandarin in tiong military institute?

• Praise 2

All these moves are for future goodwill, nothing strange. For those in the field, should know 70 per hr is already on the low side.

Cheaper than boy-boy tuition, and 1-to-1 some more.

In future the foreign officer may rise to highest ranks, then there's goodwill.

All these moves are for future goodwill, nothing strange. For those in the field, should know 70 per hr is already on the low side.

Cheaper than boy-boy tuition, and 1-to-1 some more.

In future the foreign officer may rise to highest ranks, then there's goodwill.

should there be a shooting war between USN and PLAN they won't target Singapore?

Its very common for the host country to pay for overseas gov bodies for education, at least in singapore. Singapore invited alot of foreigners usually those that worked in the embassy for education in social arts or some sort, and it often comes in form of a degree or masters. All paid by spore gov. I guess its for building friendly relationships.

• Praise 1

Why MINDEF spending money on PLA army officer ?

If China want to send their officers here for course, they should ensure that their officers can converse in English. -_-

If we are sending our officers to China, MINDEF would sent officers that can speak & write Mandarin, am I right..... [cool]

• Praise 3

glad to see people complaining about this is here and not in the diplomat or foreign affair office

Why MINDEF spending money on PLA army officer ?

If China want to send their officers here for course, they should ensure that their officers can converse in English. -_-

If we are sending our officers to China, MINDEF would sent officers that can speak & write Mandarin, am I right..... [cool]

wrong.

dun delete the original statement leh

haha.. later i become racist..

we have many ethnic races here.. so just send officers who are not well versed in mandarin to PRC for training lo..

Edited by Mrmilktooth

i feel that it is ok to pay for their english lessons and course fees.

All these are in the name of international relations.

I am sure SAF officers or civil servants also go overseas for course and these course might also be paid for by hosting countries.

All these are networking, international relations and good will.

when you are handling a country which is the next up coming super power or has alot of investment or trade, you cant be so giam to make them pay for their staff.

what is $26k compared to the good relationship and intel [sly]

don't be so narrow minded Singaporean....

I think alot ppl will be shocked when they know the amount of $$ Singapore spend on troops deployed overseas and even diplomats who are stationed overseas... All these small small things add up to what Singapore is today..

When USA's fleet come to Singapore, they will always host various Singapore groups and government agencies on board their aircraft carriers and other ships.. Various countries also send their warship to Singapore for display.. All these also alot of $$$.. u think what, Singapore pay for it ar?

Wanna save on this kind of things ar... then we can be hermit North Korea...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5