SLE closed for more than 12 hours after chain collision

Philipkee

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/sle-closed-after-collision-involving-several-vehicles-20141109

Sle closed due to major accident. My bro told me jam still there. Drive safe everyone.

Please avoid that stretch. I know the news is slow haha but hopefully can still help one or two Bros who are planning an afternoon ride.

Edited by Ragingbull
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Talking about this SLE...had the misfortune of being stuck in the CTE bound SLE for 3 days consecutively last week all for accident jams...wonder what is wrong..

3 days in a row in the mornings!!! WTF?? [thumbsdown]

Luckily left home at 8am and reached office 9am plus..those who left home at 830 or later..i think they reached work probably 10plus.. :ph34r:

• Praise 1

On my way to on CTE towards Lentor , jam liao. can see jam on CTE towardes town from AMK ave 5 CTE......massive. 940am.

Later when I came back, Lentor road towards AMK jam. Lentor CTE entrance closed.

Diesel tanker......thats going to be a really large oily mess assuming it spilled all over....gosh.

• Praise 2

On my way to on CTE towards Lentor , jam liao. can see jam on CTE towardes town from AMK ave 5 CTE......massive. 940am.

Later when I came back, Lentor road towards AMK jam. Lentor CTE entrance closed.

Diesel tanker......thats going to be a really large oily mess assuming it spilled all over....gosh.

Lucky is diesel. Which don't burn on torch.

If petrol, can be a fire disaster...

• Praise 1

Lucky is diesel. Which don't burn on torch.

If petrol, can be a fire disaster...

whoa, ur right. Assuming that this has something to do w speeding heavy vehicles or taking non designated lanes, hope its a wake up call for decisive action.

• Praise 1

I was caught earlier in the jam for an hour. Had breakfast at Upper thomson road. Made a turn to SLE and wanted to exit Lentor (towards Yishun). The moment I turned into the slip road. jam started from there. I thought it was due to an accident near TPE exit. The queue moved very slowly. It was only at the lane where the road merges into SLE that I saw traffic police directing all cars to exit at Lentor. Took me almost 55 minutes to exit to lentor, which was less than 1km.

Could see the queue queues towards Ang Mo Kio direction jammed as far back at the cross junction of Estuary condo. No idea what happened till I read the posting.

Edited by Yourboss
  • Praise 1

whoa, ur right. Assuming that this has something to do w speeding heavy vehicles or taking non designated lanes, hope its a wake up call for decisive action.

Dun always assume is heavy vehicles speeding, there is also a rise in goondo drivers making last min lane change to exit from expressway.

• Praise 7

Another thing is don't go and think your car is faster than a truck or lorry or heavy vehicle and therefore cut into their lane without enough safety distance and think you can speed off easily coz when they drive too fast they can't brake in time to avoid collision with your car.

• Praise 2

seems like section of expressway still close.

9701_1650_20141109165105_583d93.jpg

Tomorrow is Monday, LTA had to ensure road re-open. If not will be massive jam.

So never see any further update from LTA for actual reason for such long closure.

Talking about this SLE...had the misfortune of being stuck in the CTE bound SLE for 3 days consecutively last week all for accident jams...wonder what is wrong..

3 days in a row in the mornings!!! WTF?? [thumbsdown]

Luckily left home at 8am and reached office 9am plus..those who left home at 830 or later..i think they reached work probably 10plus.. :ph34r:

Many chain collision on CTE these days. Last week, out of 5 evening trips home, there were 2 massive jams caused by chain collision. There are too many sudden slowdown and drivers are following too closely.

• Praise 2

Yep, still close. Jst check on the traffic camera.

Think is one of the longest expressway close so far in Spore.....

Fortunate or unfortunate its a Sunday, if week days everybody's wk will be screwed in some ways.

• Praise 6

- Hence, I use the word assume b4 even starting. It means that I am still awaiting further info prior to concluding the situation.

- I am all for stricter speed limit enforcement for all classes incl Class 2/3 & lane 1.

• Praise 5

(edited)

We should be thankful because

1) it could have been tomorrow

2). It could have been raining and rescue attempts hampered plus time to clear expressway longer and more dangerous . imagine a thunderstorm with lightning.....

3). It could have been a petrol tanker

4). There was no fire. While we might say diesel does not burn easily, do not forget that there are other vehicles involved which could have caught fire and if the diesel was leaking, it could have been messyand dangerous.

Edited by Philipkee

I hope there is a proper and fast oil spill response especially if the tanker lost most of it's load, these kind of spills can make their way into the water system pretty fast. To make it worse the general area is a catchment zone. Good news is diesel evaporates pretty quickly.

Fact of the day: Despite the huge media coverage and uproar when a marine oil spill happens (omg the poor birds are covered in oil!), marine spills make up only about 10-20% of oil spills by volume annually. The vast majority of oil spills are inland spills, like this one or leaking pipelines etc.

• Praise 1

Just came back from woodland and it still jam than exit before lentor and go from yck road and it still jam all the way to the NTUC factory there cos centre lane road work

• Praise 2

yup.........me to stuck in the jam.........problem is no additional signage to warn motorist not to join into SLE such as those coming from Sembawang..........too bad for them joining at Upper Thomson and have to exit at Lentor........LoL :ph34r:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1