Advise needed: to claim own damage or out of pocket?

Zaska

Hi everyone

Need some advise.

My car scratch against carpark column n damage is superfical with some dents n paint peel. If i claim own dmg fm insurance, apart fm losing the ncd protector for this yr, will there be any extra loading for subsequent yr? For own dmg claim, will is there a min req sum that needs to be met b4 insurance will cover?

Thanks

Picture:
20141114_174302.jpg

↡ Advertisement

it depends on the excess amount. if it is $500, you have to cough out the first $500. the insurance company will take care of the remaining balance.

if i were you, i would not claim OD.

Simple: If excess + NCD + 20% of current premium (loading for next year) is comparable to workshop's quote after d/c and negotiations, you better go for own spending.

PS: Need not to go to authorised workshop (will be very expensive)

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

For own damage claim, you need to pay the excess and insurance will pay balance .

The key question here is how much is your excess . $600 ? 3k ?

Get a rough estimate from workshops on the repair costs , if its a bit more than your excess don't claim ; if its very much more than your excess then it may be worthwhile to make a claim .

• Praise 1

For own damage claim, you need to pay the excess and insurance will pay balance .

The key question here is how much is your excess . $600 ? 3k ?

Get a rough estimate from workshops on the repair costs , if its a bit more than your excess don't claim ; if its very much more than your excess then it may be worthwhile to make a claim .

Thanks for all the replies. Guess gotta be out of pocket...there goes my 13mth sob sob :p.

My excess is $750 if i rem correctly therefore i dun think it really makes sense to claim OD as i estimate the repair to be in the region of $1.5k

Hi everyone

Need some advise.

My car scratch against carpark column n damage is superfical with some dents n paint peel. If i claim own dmg fm insurance, apart fm losing the ncd protector for this yr, will there be any extra loading for subsequent yr? For own dmg claim, will is there a min req sum that needs to be met b4 insurance will cover?

Thanks

Picture:

20141114_174302.jpg

Why so jiliat, how you scratched against the column [confused][confused] [confused]

Why so jiliat, how you scratched against the column [confused][confused] [confused]

I saw before at bencoolan centre car park next to SLS, the turn is narrow 90 degree with column left and right, the car had bad judgment when turning got stuck, but he panic or maybe embarrassed, just drag it against wall to complete the turn [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Which one is Bencoolen Centre? The Bencoolen (formerly: Bencoolen house) next to Albert?

I saw before at bencoolan centre car park next to SLS, the turn is narrow 90 degree with column left and right, the car had bad judgment when turning got stuck, but he panic or maybe embarrassed, just drag it against wall to complete the turn [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Hi everyone

Need some advise.

Thanks

My commiserations.

Rough ball park is that if total repair costs more than $1200 then better claim insurance but if less than that then better pay your own. Got this figure cos you will lose NCB and also roughly another 20% loading should you claim plus the excess will come to thereabouts so no point to claim if it's around there +/- .

Another point to consider is how long you intend to hold on to this car cos if not too long, you can do a superficial job which costs less. Superficial as in just 1 or 2 coat job rather than the full works. But must warn you that this superficial jobs don't last.

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 5

Not an art work by me but.... [lipsrsealed]

anyway, the carpark is tight with 90 deg turn n 2 ways. My wife was heading for the turn towards exit when another car came in fast and cause her to panic so... [bigcry]

My take is about double of yours! (side mirror also missing)!

yup, got a price estimate today.....about $1.5k for replacement of both doors from scrap veh (approx. F:$350, B:$250 with knocking & respray).

I tink its a fair quote unless someone knows of a better deal.

No mention if car still under warranty. If claim own damage may also lost warranty for car, besides loss of NCD. Last time someone damaged one Kelisa nearside front door only, repair = $2500/- (repaired by my regular workshop).

no warranty already, car 6 yrs old.

Hi everyone

Need some advise.

Thanks

My commiserations.

Rough ball park is that if total repair costs more than $1200 then better claim insurance but if less than that then better pay your own. Got this figure cos you will lose NCB and also roughly another 20% loading should you claim plus the excess will come to thereabouts so no point to claim if it's around there +/- .

Another point to consider is how long you intend to hold on to this car cos if not too long, you can do a superficial job which costs less. Superficial as in just 1 or 2 coat job rather than the full works. But must warn you that this superficial jobs don't last.

Thanks Spring. Will be out of pocket [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement