2015 Mazda CX3

ahboy86

I always off the start-start first thing after switching on the engine. My view is saving petrol is less green than the damage done to the environment for more frequent change of car battery.

Not sure if this can be analyzed with stats.

Think about it, the car and battery is design for this use and fuel savings.

By not using it in fact you are using more fuel than it's designed.

I also seem to recall that these batteries have 2 parts, 1 for main operation and 1 for stop start. If this is true, Thus fitting with your style you can choose to change battery later even if the stop start part is not working well anymore.

Note that stop start is disable if your battery is not in right conditions.

Lastly, the car and battery is designed for this. Not sure if the "battery spoils faster." Is it truth or myth.

I was owner of mazda 2 with istop. I use it religiously. Whether it is real savings or not i can't say. But fact is my battery didn't die untimely.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the auto hold function that comes with the engine cut-off. Thanks.

Too bad auto hold is not auto turn on when you restart engine. You have to remember to turn it on.
↡ Advertisement

Thanks. The reason why I asked this in the first place is because I FEEL like turning the engine on/off repeatedly is stressing the engine out. I dunno... maybe engine ignition technology has improved significantly. So the practical alternative is to switch off the auto engine cut-off feature when in a traffic jam.

You have to understand that this kind of technology matures. When it's new, there will be problems, etc but given enough time it will be good enough.

I doubt there's any way to really analyze and prove if it's good or bad. Just try it yourself and decide.

I enjoy thinking that I'm doing my bit for environment.

E.g.: some still think turbo is not that great. Including myself.

Truth or myth i do not know but i still non turbo if given the option.

Thanks. The reason why I asked this in the first place is because I FEEL like turning the engine on/off repeatedly is stressing the engine out. I dunno... maybe engine ignition technology has improved significantly. So the practical alternative is to switch off the auto engine cut-off feature when in a traffic jam.

To answer some of your questions:

1) Engine start stop systems do NOT stress your engine out. Engines tolerate "warm" starts very well, because the lubricating oil, etc is already all nice and flowing and warmed up. What they don't like is for you to rev them hard from a cold start.

2) Engine start-stop systems only start saving you fuel if the engine is switched off for more than 7 seconds (ballpark). Anything shorter, the amount of petrol your engine consumes to restart the engine is greater than the fuel you would've saved by turning off the engine.

3) Modern engines don't consume much petrol when idling. However, the fuel consumption meter on your car jumps because of the way it calculates petrol consumed over distance. When you're idling, your consumption is low, but distance travelled is zero. So when you divide it, it approaches infinity (you're dividing by zero!)

4) Engine start-stop systems are kind of a mixed bag. They don't save you much, but to me, it breaks the refinement of your very nice vehicle. That vibration and shuddering when it restarts is not something you pay a premium for to "enjoy".

• Praise 1

save one, spoil the other right? i had this thought as well. my previous car didnt have start/stop and the battery lasted on average 2 years

let's see how it goes for my car now

My previous mazda 2 battery also lasted the average duration.

1) Engine start stop systems do NOT stress your engine out. Engines tolerate "warm" starts very well, because the lubricating oil, etc is already all nice and flowing and warmed up. What they don't like is for you to rev them hard from a cold start.

2) Engine start-stop systems only start saving you fuel if the engine is switched off for more than 7 seconds (ballpark). Anything shorter, the amount of petrol your engine consumes to restart the engine is greater than the fuel you would've saved by turning off the engine.

3) Modern engines don't consume much petrol when idling. However, the fuel consumption meter on your car jumps because of the way it calculates petrol consumed over distance. When you're idling, your consumption is low, but distance travelled is zero. So when you divide it, it approaches infinity (you're dividing by zero!)

4) Engine start-stop systems are kind of a mixed bag. They don't save you much, but to me, it breaks the refinement of your very nice vehicle. That vibration and shuddering when it restarts is not something you pay a premium for to "enjoy".

For point 4. In 2015 Mazda 2 it wasn't as obvious.

But in 2019 cx 3 wow it's obvious. Becauae idling is so quiet. :)

So the istop restart is more obvious now. But still acceptable.

Not sure if this can be analyzed with stats.

Think about it, the car and battery is design for this use and fuel savings.

By not using it in fact you are using more fuel than it's designed.

I also seem to recall that these batteries have 2 parts, 1 for main operation and 1 for stop start. If this is true, Thus fitting with your style you can choose to change battery later even if the stop start part is not working well anymore.

Note that stop start is disable if your battery is not in right conditions.

Lastly, the car and battery is designed for this. Not sure if the "battery spoils faster." Is it truth or myth.

I was owner of mazda 2 with istop. I use it religiously. Whether it is real savings or not i can't say. But fact is my battery didn't die untimely.

Too bad auto hold is not auto turn on when you restart engine. You have to remember to turn it on.

This is thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing, my fren. Cheers.

You have to understand that this kind of technology matures. When it's new, there will be problems, etc but given enough time it will be good enough.

I doubt there's any way to really analyze and prove if it's good or bad. Just try it yourself and decide.

I enjoy thinking that I'm doing my bit for environment.

E.g.: some still think turbo is not that great. Including myself.

Truth or myth i do not know but i still non turbo if given the option.

Yup. Can't wait to try it! Hahaha! Cheers.

This is thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing, my fren. Cheers.

Yup. Can't wait to try it! Hahaha! Cheers.

You will enjoy it. It is amazingly how much difference it is from my 2015 mazda 2.

I just auto hold with or without istop and stretch.

Back in m2 I couldn't stretch due to ceiling and seat is smaller.

They did magic in upsizing the interior.

And it's quiet for a 90s 100k car. But accept that travelling at 90s won't be as quiet as premium but checking the stats online, it's pretty up there.

Search for auto decibels database.

Good engine. But then again I'm not a racer so this is very good for me. Have to always reminder to keep speed limit.

Rear view auto dimming mirror. Thumbs up.

The rest of the good stuff probably is common already.

When's collection?

Wow! Thank you so much for this.

Your point (4) is my exact sentiment. Hahaha! Engine shuddering in and out of life is just provokes strange feelings in me. LOLz

You will enjoy it. It is amazingly how much difference it is from my 2015 mazda 2.

I just auto hold with or without istop and stretch.

Back in m2 I couldn't stretch due to ceiling and seat is smaller.

They did magic in upsizing the interior.

And it's quiet for a 90s 100k car. But accept that travelling at 90s won't be as quiet as premium but checking the stats online, it's pretty up there.

Search for auto decibels database.

Good engine. But then again I'm not a racer so this is very good for me. Have to always reminder to keep speed limit.

Rear view auto dimming mirror. Thumbs up.

The rest of the good stuff probably is common already.

When's collection?

Hahahah! Bro, you make me more gian to get my car lah!  [:p]

Car should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I will go check out the auto decibels database. This is very interesting!

Collected my cx3 yesterday! Happy with my new ride. Powerful and yet quiet! Thinking what to mod. Maybe converting to android auto but that voids the warranty of the display device. Any suggestion to mod?

Collected my cx3 yesterday! Happy with my new ride. Powerful and yet quiet! Thinking what to mod. Maybe converting to android auto but that voids the warranty of the display device. Any suggestion to mod?

Congrats.

Maybe change the rims too.

Congrats.

Maybe change the rims too.

I am considering that too. Anyone has experience with the manual installation of android auto/CarPlay by CCH from MSS? 750sgd. Want to check if so far any issue? Edited by limy0143

I am considering that too. Anyone has experience with the manual installation of android auto/CarPlay by CCH from MSS? 750sgd. Want to check if so far any issue?

Hear say AD is opening slots for this installaion below 500. I'm will be calling them on Monday.

If you can't wait, online seems to have below 400s. I have no source.

Psa: mazda already has waiting list for AA CP installation.

Tentative feb then will have availability. Tbc.

Cx3 has discount and estimate below 400 before gst. Tbc.

Book your slots.

Ya I called and was told no more stock

Deluxe trim now closly priced to golf with almost same performance. In a dilemna which to get...

Any idea about the tuning potential for this 2.0 in cx-3?

A few things to consider to make sure you view it correctly.

1) golf range from 98.8k to 113k.

CX 3 delxue is 100k or less.

So you getting the max of what you can from mazda but entry level of golf.

Pretty sure you won't get the same.

2) golf is hot hatch so you should be comparing with mazda 2 hatch instead which would then mean 20 to 30k cheaper.

3) think of 70% of your drive. Are you going to turbo most of the time?

In my opinion most people most of the time drives leisurely.

So the turbo power which is where the power is really from won't happen most of the time.

So mostly you will be driving a 1.4L. Will that be under powered?

4) if you are looking for power, i always feel mazda is the wrong car.

It has never giving me the feeling of step on it and rush.

It has sufficient power but for me, it's how they design the dynamics of the car to make it drive well.

It's not going to win on raw power. The push you into seat feeling or similar.

Even if point 3 and 4 may not be valid for you, consider the other 2 points.

• Praise 1

Deluxe trim now closly priced to golf with almost same performance. In a dilemna which to get...

Any idea about the tuning potential for this 2.0 in cx-3?

2 litre normal engine, what is there to tune?

Of course u get the reliability of a mazda vs a ? in volks.

• Praise 1

A few things to consider to make sure you view it correctly.

1) golf range from 98.8k to 113k.

CX 3 delxue is 100k or less.

So you getting the max of what you can from mazda but entry level of golf.

Pretty sure you won't get the same.

2) golf is hot hatch so you should be comparing with mazda 2 hatch instead which would then mean 20 to 30k cheaper.

3) think of 70% of your drive. Are you going to turbo most of the time?

In my opinion most people most of the time drives leisurely.

So the turbo power which is where the power is really from won't happen most of the time.

So mostly you will be driving a 1.4L. Will that be under powered?

4) if you are looking for power, i always feel mazda is the wrong car.

It has never giving me the feeling of step on it and rush.

It has sufficient power but for me, it's how they design the dynamics of the car to make it drive well.

It's not going to win on raw power. The push you into seat feeling or similar.

Even if point 3 and 4 may not be valid for you, consider the other 2 points.

Am currently driving 1.4 turbo. Torque comes from low down in rev range so it is more than powerful enough. CX-3 looks better in styling so i decided to shortlist japanese also. Seen online reviews on CX-3 being"fun to drive". Any idea what the cx-3 like on the nshw at 200km/h? I frequent the NSHW so it will be important to hav good soundproofing and road holding.

Am currently driving 1.4 turbo. Torque comes from low down in rev range so it is more than powerful enough. CX-3 looks better in styling so i decided to shortlist japanese also. Seen online reviews on CX-3 being"fun to drive". Any idea what the cx-3 like on the nshw at 200km/h? I frequent the NSHW so it will be important to hav good soundproofing and road holding.

How much rev before turbo activates?

If it's low yes you get power then you lose fuel efficiency?

But i gues hard to get best of Both.

Do remember mini suv and hot hatch is going to be different.

I personally changed from mazda 2 hatch to cx 3.

CX 3 is small and low enough to not be too different but still not a hot hatch.

Yes cx 3 still very fun to drive but not in the sense of power. Again it's sufficient but doesn't give that crushing feeling at all.

For 200 kmh you might wish to look away from SUV. Long base vehicles will be better in comfort and road holding for sure.

At 90s might still manage slightly below 70s db but you will only get that kind of levels at 150s at near the top of luxury.

↡ Advertisement