Ford Focus titanium

Obscurest

Hey guys,

Am considering the Focus and Peugeot 308. Test drove both cars last weekend. My personal point of view and comparing both prices (they're about 1k diff): 

Focus - Totally enjoyed the drive. Heard it's a reliable and good car but it does not have as much features when compared to the 308. And fc is not as good. 

308 - I feel it has more power, picks up faster and offers more features/equipments. With moonroof, reverse cam, park assist, blind spot indication, etc. Fc is good. 

Gearbox: Not sure of the reliability. EAT6 - SE mentioned that it's the same as Toyota. 

Currently, I'm driving a Jap hatchback. I'm a newbie when it comes to conti cars. Any advice/tips to share?

Thanks in advance! 

I guess its more of what you prefer, for me i was driving a focus previously and i loved it, so naturaly i get attracted to the newer model. i wasnt comparing features or performance, but since im buying new i was looking more into the running cost, like FC, road tax and insurance, maintenance, reliability. 

I went for the Focus mainly cos i loved the design and also cos its 1.0, which should translate to cheaper road tax/insurance and better FC. and for the price it has most modern features which can arguably be "necessary" or rather "Good to have", like bluetooth, auto headlight and wipers, voice command etc.  

Another thing is i dont realy like seeing too many of the same model as mine on the roads, so im happy with my Focus as i see roughly only 1 Focus a week. 

If you cant decide, go test drive both again, u should feel good in the drivers seat, ergonomics play a big part too. :)

Neutral Newbie

Fett,

Thanks! You mentioned that you previously own a Focus, how's maintenance and reliability like? Any issues with engine, gearbox, getting parts, etc? I know it's a good trusty car with solid engine. 

You're right that road tax is the cheapest. For better FC, is that true? As it is a heavier car. 

Fett,

Thanks! You mentioned that you previously own a Focus, how's maintenance and reliability like? Any issues with engine, gearbox, getting parts, etc? I know it's a good trusty car with solid engine. 

You're right that road tax is the cheapest. For better FC, is that true? As it is a heavier car. 

Hey sorry for late reply. Yes iv owned 2 Focus's, maintenance is same like any other jap cars, except some parts may be more expensive, but realy its not that much diff. my old focus was raped for 10 years and the engine was still good and strong at the 10yr mark. gearbox no issue at all, parts in malaysia also not hard to find. FC is so so i must say. but trust me it doesnt feel heavy at all.

Hi all,

Need your comments on the below matter.

I've just collected my Focus 1.0 Sedan in November.  Comes with Otosaver car recorder installed by Regent Motors.  The issue I'm facing is that the car recorder is recording intermittently together with my car engine start-stop at traffic light.  that means, when my engine is off at traffic light stop, the recorder also stop recording.  Recording starts when my engine is on when I move off from the traffic light junction.

Any of you have the same issue as me?  Have feedbacked to Regent Motors but have not gotten a solution yet.

Any of you has suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

Thanks for your advice and comments.

Hi all,

Need your comments on the below matter.

I've just collected my Focus 1.0 Sedan in November.  Comes with Otosaver car recorder installed by Regent Motors.  The issue I'm facing is that the car recorder is recording intermittently together with my car engine start-stop at traffic light.  that means, when my engine is off at traffic light stop, the recorder also stop recording.  Recording starts when my engine is on when I move off from the traffic light junction.

Any of you have the same issue as me?  Have feedbacked to Regent Motors but have not gotten a solution yet.

Any of you has suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

Thanks for your advice and comments.

hey bro, im not facing that same issue, but what can solve this issue is installing a MAGIC BOX, this device allows u to keep the camera on all the time 24/7, and it will cut off the power once it detects your battery is low, so that will not have any problem starting your car. I am using this on my focus for 2 months and its working perfectly fine. Just go to any workshop that sells in car cameras, its about $80 for the blackbox and $20-30 for installation.

Hey Bro,

Thanks for your advice.  But will I void the car warranty if I were to do installation work at external workshop?

I do not really need 24/7 recording, just continuous recording while on the road.  I suspect is the way the recorder is wired to the car that is giving the problem. 

For now, I think I will continue to press Regent Motors to give me a solution to this issue.  Will be calling them up very soon.

Thanks again.

Hey Bro,

Thanks for your advice.  But will I void the car warranty if I were to do installation work at external workshop?

I do not really need 24/7 recording, just continuous recording while on the road.  I suspect is the way the recorder is wired to the car that is giving the problem. 

For now, I think I will continue to press Regent Motors to give me a solution to this issue.  Will be calling them up very soon.

Thanks again.

For sure wont void bro, cos for me i installed my old camera from previous car, with the magic box, the ford sales guy refered me to his friend shop to do the installation, so i dun tink it voids warranty cos the salesman himself wud know. plus it is better to have recording wile parking, in case kena hit n run at parking lot. i guess the extra 80bucks is worth it

Hey Bro,

Thanks again.

im not sure bro but now you mention it i abit scared it does, haha. But for me i didnt take the camera, i bought a blackvue and the workshop installed for me. But then so many cars have start stop but this is the first time i hear this kind of issue. Best u bring it to ford and let them handle

im not sure bro but now you mention it i abit scared it does, haha. But for me i didnt take the camera, i bought a blackvue and the workshop installed for me. But then so many cars have start stop but this is the first time i hear this kind of issue. Best u bring it to ford and let them handle

Hey Bro, somehow I think is the wiring issue.  Take for example the auto headlights...if we leave it at that position and we off engine and lock the door, it will cut off power and switch off....something like that for the car recorder - start recording when get in the car and stop when we get off.

I am going to hammer/pester/etc ford until they give me a solution, haha!

• Praise 1

Hey Bro, somehow I think is the wiring issue.  Take for example the auto headlights...if we leave it at that position and we off engine and lock the door, it will cut off power and switch off....something like that for the car recorder - start recording when get in the car and stop when we get off.

Any updates on this bro?

Focus 1.0 Ecoboost.

I am on 5,000km and getting 630km for full tank. Means fuel lights on at 550km.

Have u done any servicing? im at 6000km and im still doing less than 500km lights on at 390-400

Turbocharged

On Mondeo, the car continues supplying power to accessory (the windows, audio system & head unit) and camera recorder when engine has been shut down until a front door is opened. Either it's different on the Focus, or the wiring setup, or camera behavior, is different in your case.

Any updates on this bro?

Have u done any servicing? im at 6000km and im still doing less than 500km lights on at 390-400

Hey Bro,

Finally got the car recorder on-off issue fixed.  Brought my car in to Regent Motors for servicing (for something else), and raise the recorder issue with the service consultant.  It turns out that Regent started installing the car recorder on the older version of focus (without start stop feature) and hence no issue with the power wiring.  But the new version of focus with start-stop feature got problem with the way of wiring.  So he got my recorder re-wired to the master switch and solved all the problem.  No more starting and stopping of recorder at traffic light junction together with the engine. 

Now I got another issue with the car (that's why I brought in to Regent for servicing), though not really serious.  I am getting this error message occasionally "tyre sensors not detected, check handbook".  The service consultant checked my tyres and the tyre pressure sensors but cannot find anything abnormal.  He request me to monitor further if the message comes back again.  If it does, he will change all the tyre pressure sensors for me.  Any bro here getting the same message I am seeing?

On Mondeo, the car continues supplying power to accessory (the windows, audio system & head unit) and camera recorder when engine has been shut down until a front door is opened. Either it's different on the Focus, or the wiring setup, or camera behavior, is different in your case.

It's the wiring setup that is done wrongly.  The original wiring is for car without start stop feature, thus will not work for the latest version of focus (with start stop feature).  Regent has rewired my recorder and resolved the recorder issue.

Hey Bro,

Finally got the car recorder on-off issue fixed.  Brought my car in to Regent Motors for servicing (for something else), and raise the recorder issue with the service consultant.  It turns out that Regent started installing the car recorder on the older version of focus (without start stop feature) and hence no issue with the power wiring.  But the new version of focus with start-stop feature got problem with the way of wiring.  So he got my recorder re-wired to the master switch and solved all the problem.  No more starting and stopping of recorder at traffic light junction together with the engine. 

Now I got another issue with the car (that's why I brought in to Regent for servicing), though not really serious.  I am getting this error message occasionally "tyre sensors not detected, check handbook".  The service consultant checked my tyres and the tyre pressure sensors but cannot find anything abnormal.  He request me to monitor further if the message comes back again.  If it does, he will change all the tyre pressure sensors for me.  Any bro here getting the same message I am seeing?

It's the wiring setup that is done wrongly.  The original wiring is for car without start stop feature, thus will not work for the latest version of focus (with start stop feature).  Regent has rewired my recorder and resolved the recorder issue.

Thats good to know. Ford wirings are pretty tricky so better everyting just do at regent. I dont have that issue u mentioned but only thing is, im at 6000km now and FC is still terrible, im doing 9km/l, which i feel defeats the purpose of buying a 1.0l. Some people say because of the turbo, but then why so leceh go and make small engine and turbocharge but in the end fc same like 1.6/1.8.

Another thing is the steering shift slightly to the right, when i let go steering, on a staright road, i keep shifting a little to the right. dont if its cos im 100kg(maybe right)  [laugh]

Turbocharged

Another thing is the steering shift slightly to the right, when i let go steering, on a staright road, i keep shifting a little to the right. dont if its cos im 100kg(maybe right)  [laugh]

I was given some iffy answer about how the electric steering is biased to not assist much at speed so on say straight highway it will actually go to one side due to the curvature of the road. 

But if drift to the right while on the left of the road, the answer don't hold any water.

Supercharged

The price now is $88,888 and when launched in 2014 was $118,999.

Is this price now a bargain?

:D

88K is for the Fiesta bah?
  • Praise 1