AFF Suzuki Cup

Caldina

Well done to the boys. They thrashed Timor Leste and got the result they wanted. Safuwan got a hat-trick too.

We have to beat Thailand in Bangkok to confirm progression. Lose n we are confirmed out.

Draw n we might still go thru if Indonesia beats Philippines in Jkt but I'm not sure if they count goal difference or Head to Head if teams level on points.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

We have to beat Thailand in Bangkok to confirm progression. Lose n we are confirmed out.

Draw n we might still go thru if Indonesia beats Philippines in Jkt but I'm not sure if they count goal difference or Head to Head if teams level on points.

It is not impossible. We had done it before and won. Moreover the current Thai squad missing a few of their star players. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well done to the boys. They thrashed Timor Leste and got the result they wanted. Safuwan got a hat-trick too.

Saw the goals on news...4-5 men wall to defend a free kick at an angle leaving only 4 men to guard against 6 of our boys in the box? Hmmm...

The bicycle kick goal was a decent though.

One thing Fandi able to do was producing lots of goals. It has been a long long long time we had so many goals to celebrate.

The modern game is all about pressing n winning possession back quickly n also the ability to counter Attack fast. To his credit Fandi has adapted well n is a deep thinker on how to improve his team. He is the opposite to Sundram who plays conservatively with a well Organised Defence. Strangely, Sundram was a flair player in his playing days so I'm surprised he took this approach to coaching.

• Praise 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9-iXkYvCNc

I was there at the stadium. This is probably the best win for us ever since the new stadium was built. After the match, saw our players mingle with the crowd and fans for selfie photograph. Most popular of course are the Fandi boys. Old uncle like me was wondering why the food stalls never sell curry pok, fishball, springroll like it used to in the 80s and 90s.  [shakehead]

• Praise 2

I was there at the stadium. This is probably the best win for us ever since the new stadium was built. After the match, saw our players mingle with the crowd and fans for selfie photograph. Most popular of course are the Fandi boys. Old uncle like me was wondering why the food stalls never sell curry pok, fishball, springroll like it used to in the 80s and 90s. [shakehead]

Miss those days when one shouted out for a big triangular shape curry puff and it'd change many hands from roll to roll to reach the buyer...then the coins backward to the seller.

• Praise 2

Not too sure on the rules of progression for suzuki cup but Fandi did mentioned before the match that they were aiming to beat Timor-Leste by at least 4 goals.. So I am betting that it is down to goal difference

• Praise 1

Miss those days when one shouted out for a big triangular shape curry puff and it'd change many hands from roll to roll to reach the buyer...then the coins backward to the seller.

Lol.. the good old days where the scruffy food seller will go to the stands and shout "kali pok! fishball! coke!" [laugh]

• Praise 1

Not too sure on the rules of progression for suzuki cup but Fandi did mentioned before the match that they were aiming to beat Timor-Leste by at least 4 goals.. So I am betting that it is down to goal difference

I think so too n hope that is the case cos maybe a draw is good enough against the Thais if Indonesia beat Philippines though we shouldn’t bank on that too much.
  • Praise 4

Lol.. the good old days where the scruffy food seller will go to the stands and shout "kali pok! fishball! coke!" [laugh]

And the Coke always came without gas one, otherwise it'd be the Sarsi flavoured cordial without gas.... haha!

The paper cups always had a dual purpose - every time a person finished the drink, they would tear it up into small pieces and throw it up in the air whenever Singapore scored a goal.

• Praise 2

And the Coke always came without gas one, otherwise it'd be the Sarsi flavoured cordial without gas.... haha!

The paper cups always had a dual purpose - every time a person finished the drink, they would tear it up into small pieces and throw it up in the air whenever Singapore scored a goal.

The packet drinks will become water bomb on the players, referee and ball boys.

The cup drinks will drench everyone if a goal is scored.

TNP was used to chope seats, shelter from rain and as confetti.

Yes, i lived thru those amazing days.

• Praise 2

This article featured was the most recent permutations (prior to yesterday's game) on how to make it to the second round as well as rules to separate the top team.

This article featured was the most recent permutations (prior to yesterday's game) on how to make it to the second round as well as rules to separate the top team.

The Lions will need to beat the Thais to confirm their spot in the semi-finals, while a draw could also see them progress should Philippines lose to an already-eliminated Indonesia. 

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/singapore-thrash-timor-leste-6-1-suzuki-cup-10955768

The packet drinks will become water bomb on the players, referee and ball boys.

The cup drinks will drench everyone if a goal is scored.

TNP was used to chope seats, shelter from rain and as confetti.

Yes, i lived thru those amazing days.

Haha! Yes, same - Never failed to go for every home game for the Malaysia Semi-Pro League / M-League and Malaysia Cup games in the days of the old National Stadium. The atmosphere was electrifying and the stadium was always at full house. The vibrations and noise would reverberate whenever everyone stomped their feet on the concrete floors; Whenever the visiting Malaysian teams tried to bribe the crowd by kicking footballs to us, we would throw them back out of pride. Whenever our Singapore team scored, the true, massive Kallang wave would run around the stadium back and forth. Even in the off season we would still get quality football games - I recall we had Caltex Cup between Arsenal and Liverpool, and our national team even played Spurs, Forest, and we even had a high-profile friendly against an Australia team full of EPL stars like Viduka, Kewell etc. as the closing game to the Grand Old Dame. I miss those times...

Sadly, nowadays, the only games I have watched that can provide that same atmosphere close to those in the old days are at Thailand's games at Rajamangala Stadium. I'm sure its equally electrifying in Yangon or Hanoi too although I have yet to go for those.

The Lions will need to beat the Thais to confirm their spot in the semi-finals, while a draw could also see them progress should Philippines lose to an already-eliminated Indonesia. 

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/singapore-thrash-timor-leste-6-1-suzuki-cup-10955768

Yes, beating the Thais is the sure-fire way to confirm a spot in the semis.

Indonesia have had a good break (almost a week), and they will be playing for pride so they will go all-out against the Philippines so hopefully that will be an exciting game too.

• Praise 2

I was there at the stadium. This is probably the best win for us ever since the new stadium was built. After the match, saw our players mingle with the crowd and fans for selfie photograph. Most popular of course are the Fandi boys. Old uncle like me was wondering why the food stalls never sell curry pok, fishball, springroll like it used to in the 80s and 90s.  [shakehead]

to be honest the fandi boys are the most overrated players in this country.

They are good of course, but nowhere near top level.

The striker played against a piss poor timor leste side and the centreback scored more goals than him.

Against indo and philippines where the defenders are well-coached, he was invisible.

If his dad has any sense he would be sitting on the bench against thailand. But he'll start obviously.

to be honest the fandi boys are the most overrated players in this country.

They are good of course, but nowhere near top level.

The striker played against a piss poor timor leste side and the centreback scored more goals than him.

Against indo and philippines where the defenders are well-coached, he was invisible.

If his dad has any sense he would be sitting on the bench against thailand. But he'll start obviously.

I have not followed Singapore football closely in recent times but what better options do we have if he don't field his sons ?  In the past we have more accomplished strikers like Indra Sahdan and Nor Alam Shah but not anymore.

I am more interested to see more of Adam Swandi though.. At only 22, he is the 1st Singaporean to play for S-League champion, Albirex Niigata and the young player of the season. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1