Can those sales team survive with given transport allowance?

Johnwalk

Some companies only give 500 to1k for transport allowance, can you afford to buy a car just for the sales job?

Or u may switch line?

Currently got offered a sales job with 1k transport allowance. After calculation I think it need at least 1.5k in order to own a car now.

Now really don't know what t do

↡ Advertisement

Some companies I know use couriers. They fired most of their sales ppl and just keep a few. Cut down a lot on cost.

To me sales is a very unstable job. If you are struggling to pay the installment...what if you suddenly lose your job? I think leasing is an option. At least it frees you from the loan restriction. Any time you can walk away.

if lease for 20 days. do you know roughly how much?

How I know? LoL...

Go check with the car leasing companies.

So many factors. What car? Your age which will determine the insurance coverage. Although you pay direct to leasing company. You still have to cover your fuel bill and parking leh. I wonder 1K enough or not. Maybe small car can lah.

Allowance is for you to top up petrol, carpark & ERP.

If your basic pay is not enough to pay for the car means the company is just low-balling you.

My friend was ever recruited with $30k salary per year as sales job.

He asked me whether it is ok or not since it's the first job.

I told him no as a car need $18k per year.

He was unemployed for 4 months and found a bunkering job.

1 year later, he is earning $100k.

He often thank me for the earlier advice as the first job, you will stay in the industry for a long time.

• Praise 1

transport allowance can only cover 50% or more (if you're lucky) of your monthly transport costs.

$500 is too low. $700-$800 is average depending your office location and if company paying for your office season parking. $1000 and above is not bad lah.

• Praise 1

Some companies only give 500 to1k for transport allowance, can you afford to buy a car just for the sales job?

Or u may switch line?

Currently got offered a sales job with 1k transport allowance. After calculation I think it need at least 1.5k in order to own a car now.

depends what kind of company...........if locals usually is lump sum $800-$1200 and everything in.................most MNC or SMEs usually is about $800-$1000 transport allowance...petrol card given..... parking and ERP claim per use.....

Take note that transport allowance is for maintenance of your vehicle................it is not meant for your installment....... you have to take into consideration of road tax and insurance as well..........

• Praise 7

My company gives $1400 per month for car allowance which is inclusive of $200 petrol allowance. Still can claim ERP and other business related parking charges.

• Praise 1

My company gives $1400 per month for car allowance which is inclusive of $200 petrol allowance. Still can claim ERP and other business related parking charges.

So good

depends what kind of company...........if locals usually is lump sum $800-$1200 and everything in.................most MNC or SMEs usually is about $800-$1000 transport allowance...petrol card given..... parking and ERP claim per use.....

Take note that transport allowance is for maintenance of your vehicle................it is not meant for your installment....... you have to take into consideration of road tax and insurance as well..........

it's considered unskilled job labour, esp outdoor salesman, that is why many chose to be Life insurance , Real estate sales or door to door salesman on home appliances like high-pressured vacuum machine, distilled water filter and air-con and ceiling fan- own boos own target & certainly own time too.

Their comms can be 500-1K if thy can sell one set each or more depends in 1-2% comms. can wave the career goodbye!

• Praise 1

Allowance is for you to top up petrol, carpark & ERP.

If your basic pay is not enough to pay for the car means the company is just low-balling you.

My friend was ever recruited with $30k salary per year as sales job.

He asked me whether it is ok or not since it's the first job.

I told him no as a car need $18k per year.

He was unemployed for 4 months and found a bunkering job.

1 year later, he is earning $100k.

He often thank me for the earlier advice as the first job, you will stay in the industry for a long time.

Wow, really. Where to find this type of job? What are the qualifications needed?

If the pay so high, wonder why our poly and univ don't have a course in this field. Enrolment sure to be full...

Or u may switch line?

It all depends on how much you're expected to travel. How many km per month ?

Own and use a car is two different matter.

Depending on make/model and the method of calculation, $1000 roughly equates to about 320km per week excluding ERP, parking, etc.

P.S. Every km I drive for work purposes, I subsidise the company about $0.10 [laugh]

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 1

Wow, really. Where to find this type of job? What are the qualifications needed?

If the pay so high, wonder why our poly and univ don't have a course in this field. Enrolment sure to be full...

Bunkering is dirty industry , o level grad can make 30-60k per month or more cheating. 1 year dunno how many people go cpib drink kopi and lock up.

But those were the old days, not sure about now.

To me, leasing = licensing. May be better to get cheap COE car than leasing. Check your usage requirements which one more suitable.

Huh? SMLJ is "licensing"??

You got go and try to find a cheap COE car that is available first or not? Talk is also cheap.

I think you better check what you type first before posting it. LoL...

Envious you guys :)

I am only paid $0.65 per km travelled for work related...

Can't cover much, but better than don't have.... contented :)

I think ppl must be realistic. Are you achieving the sales target? Are you moving sales that far exceed your pay scale + transport allowance? If yes, dan it's reasonable to ask for so called market value of transport allowance. If no, dan get ready to pack up.

Since TS is being offered 1K actually it's considered not bad for a new comer. But dan expectation from the company is not going to be low. A number of factors to look at. Try not to commit to a car first until you see a bigger picture. Leasing is not a bad idea as there's less risk. When you are doing well in future it's not too late to own a car. IMO dun rush into things that you are unsure of afterall it's not like you are going to a market to buy vegetable. A car is a big commitment.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2