Droplet of oil drip

Ronleech

Discovered last few week. oil drip on exhaust joint. Changed seals of crank, sump and side cover. Still got little trace of drip. Car left 9mths to go. Will it catch fire when i am driving long distance ie to genting/KL? my friend advice is just to keep a liter of EO in the car and is necessary top up.

And also when car is parked overnite, when accelerating got a very fine squeeking sound, but after 5 mins of driving it went off totally. Only when accelerating...wat is that?

My main concern is will it catch fire...safety come 1st mah.

↡ Advertisement

Discovered last few week. oil drip on exhaust joint. Changed seals of crank, sump and side cover. Still got little trace of drip. Car left 9mths to go. Will it catch fire when i am driving long distance ie to genting/KL? my friend advice is just to keep a liter of EO in the car and is necessary top up.

And also when car is parked overnite, when accelerating got a very fine squeeking sound, but after 5 mins of driving it went off totally. Only when accelerating...wat is that?

My main concern is will it catch fire...safety come 1st mah.

Engine oil escaping via the exhaust gas is an indication that your car piston oil scrapping ring ( maybe one or more pistons) is not scrapping the cylinder walls excess oil and allowing them to drip into the sump.

Your mech maybe shooting in the wrong direction - Changing Crankshaft end seal and etc .

The other possibility is yr positive crankcase valve / system is mulfuctioning - but I will rule out this as yr car engine is running ok and not erratically.

Engine oil discharging via exhaust pipe is not healthy for the cat in the long run.

Hope this helps

• Praise 1

Engine oil escaping via the exhaust gas is an indication that your car piston oil scrapping ring ( maybe one or more pistons) is not scrapping the cylinder walls excess oil and allowing them to drip into the sump.

Your mech maybe shooting in the wrong direction - Changing Crankshaft end seal and etc .

The other possibility is yr positive crankcase valve / system is mulfuctioning - but I will rule out this as yr car engine is running ok and not erratically.

Engine oil discharging via exhaust pipe is not healthy for the cat in the long run.

Hope this help

Thanks bro....but the drip seems to be from the corner of the oil pan which is directly on the exhaust joint as it looks wet. Wonder what is the cause.... btw, what is the range of flash point for EO? Under such situation, will be cause fire for long distance driving?

Here's the flash point for Mobil 1 0W-40, guess other EO should be around this range

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 0W-40 Value Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445) @ 40º C 75 @ 100º C 13.5 Viscosity Index 185 MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000 HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8 Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8 Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3 Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1 Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230 Density @15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

Thanks bro....but the drip seems to be from the corner of the oil pan which is directly on the exhaust joint as it looks wet. Wonder what is the cause.... btw, what is the range of flash point for EO? Under such situation, will be cause fire for long distance driving?

• Praise 1

If from oil pan , and not end of crankshaft that means either the oil pan gasket is leaking oo yr crankcase sump has higher than necessary back pressure in the system dueo to high piston ring blow-by or the positive crankacse valve is not functioning

If from oil pan , and not end of crankshaft that means either the oil pan gasket is leaking oo yr crankcase sump has higher than necessary back pressure in the system dueo to high piston ring blow-by or the positive crankacse valve is not functioning

Crankcase valve not functioning? what effect will it shown? Sump have been redone together with seal of crank recently. Crank is clean no leak from top. Can see some trace of oil from a screw below sump which is directly on top of exhaust joint.

Crankcase valve not functioning? what effect will it shown? Sump have been redone together with seal of crank recently. Crank is clean no leak from top. Can see some trace of oil from a screw below sump which is directly on top of exhaust joint.

Pressure inside the crankcase is normally 0.5 atm higher than outside to prevent dirt from being suck into the sysem. Higher pressure is caused by piston rings poor sealing and therefore allowing too much combustion gases to leak into the system and this gases must be relieve via the positive crankcase valve if not it will force the seals to get out.

Very sorry, the subject is getting top technical and need few hours to go into the basic and working details of the system and components and not to mentioned the method and specialty tools required to carry out all the tests.

• Praise 2

Pressure inside the crankcase is normally 0.5 atm higher than outside to prevent dirt from being suck into the sysem. Higher pressure is caused by piston rings poor sealing and therefore allowing too much combustion gases to leak into the system and this gases must be relieve via the positive crankcase valve if not it will force the seals to get out.

Very sorry, the subject is getting top technical and need few hours to go into the basic and working details of the system and components and not to mentioned the method and specialty tools required to carry out all the tests.

Chim indeed....but what will be the ill effect? Pressure gets too high and causing seal to leak that is all?

Hope this helps

Out of curiosity, does the pcv depend on the intake to draw gas or the pressure from the crankcase alone is enough to expel the air?

• Praise 12

Chim indeed....but what will be the ill effect? Pressure gets too high and causing seal to leak that is all?

Yes leakage

Yes leakage

Ok bro...thanks for the information. So long for the next few month i check regularly for my EO and top up when necessary is ok rite? I only worry it dripped onto the exhaust joint and if travelling in long distance will cause fire....

Out of curiosity, does the pcv depend on the intake to draw gas or the pressure from the crankcase alone is enough to expel the air?

PCV is the crankcase way of relieving pressure and expelling used combustion gases back into the engine to be reburn.

If the valve is blocked, bad things happen, pressure is not relieved.

It finds other way through weakened gaskets, etc.

Basically it's a one-way check valve spring loaded. Once the crankcase blow by pressure is higer than the calibrated sprint setting , the gases will flow out into the intake manifold so that they can be burnt again in the combustion chambers.

Here's the flash point for Mobil 1 0W-40, guess other EO should be around this range

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 0W-40 Value Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445) @ 40º C 75 @ 100º C 13.5 Viscosity Index 185 MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000 HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8 Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8 Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3 Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1 Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230 Density @15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

At what temp will EO ignite? Flash pt = ignite and start to burn on itself.

What is the temp in a typical engine during combustion?

Around 90-100°C

At what temp will EO ignite? Flash pt = ignite and start to burn on itself.

What is the temp in a typical engine during combustion?

OK...the big question now is will it caused fire when driving long distance?

It's highly unlikely.

It's not about long distance which is usually cruising speed at a much lower temp than compared with racing on a circuit with high rev all the time.

• Praise 1

wonder will my EO be able to last me to and fro genting before it will be totally drained out...lol...anyway will bring along 1+ liters for standby....

↡ Advertisement