CX7 / RAV4 / Murano / CRV  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you pick?

• 2007 Mazda CX-7 2.3 Turbo with Sunroof
    • 2008 Nissan Murano 2.5 with Sunroof
    • 2007 Toyota RAV4 2.4 with Sunroof
    • 2007 Honda CRV 2.4 with Sunroof

Hello everyone,

I'm currently driving a Nov '05 Optra and wishes to upgrade to a SUV.

I have done my sums and have shortlisted these 4 '07/08 models:

Please give me your honest feedback as to which model I should pick. As I am looking at about 7 year old rides, I am more concerned about their reliability.

Fuel economy is less of a concern for me as my fuel bills are paid for by the company that I am working for.

My brain tells me to go with RAV4 or CRV, but my heart prefers Murano and the CX7 for their added amenities.

Thank you in advance for your kind advice! (:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hello everyone,

Please give me your honest feedback as to which model I should pick. As I am looking at about 7 year old rides, I am more concerned about their reliability.

Fuel economy is less of a concern for me as my fuel bills are paid for by the company that I am working for.

My brain tells me to go with RAV4 or CRV, but my heart prefers Murano and the CX7 for their added amenities.

If you prefer comfortable and luxurious ride, Murano.

If you want speed and power, cx-7.

If reliability, then Honda and Toyota for you.

My choice will be Murano if price is around the same.

• Praise 2

If you prefer comfortable and luxurious ride, Murano.

If you want speed and power, cx-7.

If reliability, then Honda and Toyota for you.

My choice will be Murano if price is around the same.

Thank you pocoyo! :D

Hello everyone,

What about harrier? If reliability u r looking for, harrier good choice..

What about harrier? If reliability u r looking for, harrier good choice..

I checked but Harrier is over my budget liao, thanks for your suggestion anyway

I checked but Harrier is over my budget liao, thanks for your suggestion anyway

For me murano for comfort or crv for reliability

I personally would go for CRV. Can consider CX7 as well

• Praise 1

For me murano for comfort or crv for reliability

I personally would go for CRV. Can consider CX7 as well

Thanks thaiyotakamll!

I am quite hesitant of CX7 because I have heard of horror stories about turbocharged cars, not sure if they apply to CX7 as well. Other than that, I think CX7 looks the best as compared to the other 3.

I think CRV is a natural choice for many people but it lacks Murano's keyless entry/start, auto headlights and its awesome Bose sound system, hence the dilemma.

I am also concerned about how the cars drive, can anyone share with me please?

I have yet to arrange for test drives but I have driven the predecessor 1.8 RAV4 before and I am pretty pleased with how the car handles.

Thanks thaiyotakamll!

I am quite hesitant of CX7 because I have heard of horror stories about turbocharged cars, not sure if they apply to CX7 as well. Other than that, I think CX7 looks the best as compared to the other 3.

I think CRV is a natural choice for many people but it lacks Murano's keyless entry/start, auto headlights and its awesome Bose sound system, hence the dilemma.

I am also concerned about how the cars drive, can anyone share with me please?

I have yet to arrange for test drives but I have driven the predecessor 1.8 RAV4 before and I am pretty pleased with how the car handles.

Toyota and nissan i think drive not as good as mazda or honda generally.

For what i know toyota rav4 is not good for driving in high speed.

Based on ur choice u can consider murano since it has younger age and also depend on the car condition.

Thanks thaiyotakamll!

I am quite hesitant of CX7 because I have heard of horror stories about turbocharged cars, not sure if they apply to CX7 as well.

Ermmmm.....what sort of "horror" stories did u hear? Were they from folks who've owned turbo cars or hearsay from a 'fren of a fren' type?

My cousin is driving the 09 CRV with sunroof. The interior quality is of low quality especially the leather. He bought from AD new. The armrest leather peeled after 2 years, one or more of the door lock actuator failed and door is unable to unlock. The all round cheapo scratchy plastic just makes the interior feel ghastly. He always comprains to me he paid so much for such "excellent" quality. Now the rear liftgate feels ultra light. I think the lifters are giving way. and rear suspension feels bouncy even when cruising at 80-90km/hr. Sound insulation is also poor especially the rear.

If you are looking for something older dan 09 models. Better be prepared to be disappointed.

• Praise 1

Ermmmm.....what sort of "horror" stories did u hear? Were they from folks who've owned turbo cars or hearsay from a 'fren of a fren' type?

Mostly from friends of friends. My mechanics also recommended that I steer clear of the CX7 unless I have tons of cash to spare. Given this kind of notoriety on turbocharged cars, I thought I should also give some special consideration before I sign on the dotted line.

My brother in law used to drive an evo 9 for a few years before selling it to a workshop last month. While helping him to clear his car of belongings, I found a receipt booklet indicating how much was spent to maintain/upkeep the car. Every visit to the workshop was at least half of my monthly salary. God.

As such, I can't help but to feel a little wary of the CX7. Otherwise it is really a fine car I would love to make it mine.

My cousin is driving the 09 CRV with sunroof. The interior quality is of low quality especially the leather. He bought from AD new. The armrest leather peeled after 2 years, one or more of the door lock actuator failed and door is unable to unlock. The all round cheapo scratchy plastic just makes the interior feel ghastly. He always comprains to me he paid so much for such "excellent" quality. Now the rear liftgate feels ultra light. I think the lifters are giving way. and rear suspension feels bouncy even when cruising at 80-90km/hr. Sound insulation is also poor especially the rear.

If you are looking for something older dan 09 models. Better be prepared to be disappointed.

Thank you for your input watwheels! I will remember to double check if I do decide to get the CRV eventually! (:

Edited by Luvalive

Ur friend always park under sunlight is it?

I had friend 2009 model as well and his interior still nice and car problem free

Given you are looking at 7 year old cars, I assume you are intending to drive till scrap. If it matters, Honda and Toyota will have some body value left for export to third world countries, Nissans and Mazdas not so. Too much gadgetry. Those latter two brands have traditionally poor resale value.

I would say go for a RAV4 long wheelbase model from Borneo Motors (usually marked "MR" in SGCarmart), not one of the short wheelbase ones from the PIs. The longer wheelbase makes it more stable at speed and you get more interior space. The 4WD model doesn't suffer much in terms of FC to the FWD model as the rear wheels don't get driven until the front gets slip, so the drag is reduced. But all four are in about the same category of thirst so no surprises there.

The sideways opening rear hatch is an annoyance; you have to remember not to park all the way in if you intend to access the hatch, especially if you park in MSCPs, but I can't think of anything else that stands out as a major drawback. And because it's a Toyota, its probably the cheapest of the lot to insure.

• Praise 1

Hello everyone,

I cannot give which one is the best among of your shortlist, but I think you should take out CX-7 2.3 Turbo, my friend used to owne one couple years ago, feedback from him that the Turbo lag very obveriously, and horrible FC, problems never end, after one year, sold out,

If you want power and speed, Japanese Turbo car only Subaru is trustable,

BTW, I voted Murano, relaibility, comfortable and safety wise

• Praise 1

Ur friend always park under sunlight is it?

I had friend 2009 model as well and his interior still nice and car problem free

It's my cousin not friend lah. He park in basement carpark and takes good care of his car. Even if parked under the sun the windows and windscreen got tinting that will help reduce the harmful rays. I told him to bring the car go temple to do cleansing ceremony.

Edited by Watwheels

U should consider Harrier 2362cc, though it may be out of your budget, it has long term gain,

Fc wise, pretty good and highly recommended are 9-9.3k/ per lit, avg 550-600mileage 6 days A-B

Harrier is such multipurpose car juz like any other SUV, pst importunity is the parts availability and every/s can service a Toya, part is very affordable and reliability. Things to look our for are any cracks on dash-board and usual leakage of fuel oil gasket. Best sent for Vicom test to ascertain any car pending purchasing.

It does not burn a hole in my pocket and saving was very handsome too. My friend CRV gave him problem, rust frond on his black colored side rear after polishing. High FC and top-up every 4 days.

Murano may be a better bet, it has bigger side bump, hence parking may be an issue.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1