Luvalive

CX7 / RAV4 / Murano / CRV  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you pick?

• 2007 Mazda CX-7 2.3 Turbo with Sunroof
    • 2008 Nissan Murano 2.5 with Sunroof
    • 2007 Toyota RAV4 2.4 with Sunroof
    • 2007 Honda CRV 2.4 with Sunroof

Given you are looking at 7 year old cars, I assume you are intending to drive till scrap. If it matters, Honda and Toyota will have some body value left for export to third world countries, Nissans and Mazdas not so. Too much gadgetry. Those latter two brands have traditionally poor resale value.

I would say go for a RAV4 long wheelbase model from Borneo Motors (usually marked "MR" in SGCarmart), not one of the short wheelbase ones from the PIs. The longer wheelbase makes it more stable at speed and you get more interior space. The 4WD model doesn't suffer much in terms of FC to the FWD model as the rear wheels don't get driven until the front gets slip, so the drag is reduced. But all four are in about the same category of thirst so no surprises there.

The sideways opening rear hatch is an annoyance; you have to remember not to park all the way in if you intend to access the hatch, especially if you park in MSCPs, but I can't think of anything else that stands out as a major drawback. And because it's a Toyota, its probably the cheapest of the lot to insure.

Wow thanks so much for your detailed and thoughtful advice! Never thought the sideway opening boot is of any concern, in fact I thought it was a pretty cool touch rather than the conventional method!

Yes if I'm getting the RAV4, I'm looking at the MR version with sunroof. Thanks again! (:

I cannot give which one is the best among of your shortlist, but I think you should take out CX-7 2.3 Turbo, my friend used to owne one couple years ago, feedback from him that the Turbo lag very obveriously, and horrible FC, problems never end, after one year, sold out,

If you want power and speed, Japanese Turbo car only Subaru is trustable,

BTW, I voted Murano, relaibility, comfortable and safety wise

Yes, I am also quite wary of the CX7 though I love how handsome it looks. Thank you for your kind inputs! (:

Murano scores better in most of the departments. THe only concern with Murano is FC. SInce you are paid for Petrol, just go for Murano.

Thank you for your advice. Do you have any idea how thirsty the Murano 2.5 really is?

U should consider Harrier 2362cc, though it may be out of your budget, it has long term gain,

Fc wise, pretty good and highly recommended are 9-9.3k/ per lit, avg 550-600mileage 6 days A-B

Harrier is such multipurpose car juz like any other SUV, pst importunity is the parts availability and every/s can service a Toya, part is very affordable and reliability. Things to look our for are any cracks on dash-board and usual leakage of fuel oil gasket. Best sent for Vicom test to ascertain any car pending purchasing.

It does not burn a hole in my pocket and saving was very handsome too. My friend CRV gave him problem, rust frond on his black colored side rear after polishing. High FC and top-up every 4 days.

Murano may be a better bet, it has bigger side bump, hence parking may be an issue.

I would love to get the Harrier if I can, nice interior and feels like a Lexus. But really over my small budget la, Harriers are too expensive! :(

Seems like most people favour the Murano, which came as a pleasant surprise for me as I thought the CRV would win hands down.

Can anybody advice the 2008 Murano's reliability? Would repairs be expensive?

Also, anybody can advice a Nissan stockist just in case? And lastly, the fuel economy of the Murano?

I have always loved big cars, and I believe I would love the Murano; especially its sexy rear!

Now I just need more convincing, any Murano owners here?

Thank you everyone for your kind advice and participation! (:

Edited by Luvalive
↡ Advertisement

If you're buying a SUV, why don't you consider the Land Rover Freelander 2 ? Most perceive it to be otherwise, but i think it's value for money.

If you're buying a SUV, why don't you consider the Land Rover Freelander 2 ? Most perceive it to be otherwise, but i think it's value for money.

The Freelander 2 is way above my budget, and I shudder at the thought of maintaining it. Thanks for the suggestion though! (:

Murano should be approx 8km/l. It has the biggest interior width. A very comfy car to drive. Boot is a little smaller than the RAV4 due to the sloping rest. Only thing is that the interior feels a little cheap. But then so do the rest. I would take the Murano or the RAV4.but rav4 feels better built and the price premium also reflects it.

• Praise 1

I drive CX7 on a daily basis. I can tell you that the power is undeniable. Changing lanes have become more about accelerating to overtake rather than brake to undertake and change lane. This is something I'm not able to do in bnb cars (which have about the same power to weight ratio as the crv and rav 4). The turbo kicks in and is the strongest at about 2500rpm to 4500rpm. But this car has a lot of blindspot so its not advisable if you just got out of p-plate. Despite daily driving, I have to turn my head and glance very frequently as the wing mirrors are too "zoomed in". However, this thing is a joy to drive in malaysia, it can keep up with bmw 330i and still feels powerful and responsive at 180kmph, this is where most cars feel breathless and are not accelerating anymore. The rear seats are a little cramped as the handrests on the doors are fairly huge. Seats do lie flat and the boot is huge, even when the seats are not. However the rear seats are also not adjustable. The manual gear overide lags badly but the auto mood is responsive, maybe a little too responsive. A slight depress will result in a gear knockdown, and in the CX7 the knockdown is pretty violent, got a powerful surge. Pedal spacing is very good and can be driven in slippers easily. However be prepared to spend a lot in petrol as the turbo kicks in in normal city driving rpm, I did JB-malacca-KL-malacca-JB across 3 days and spent $800rm+ in petrol. This is ron 97 btw. Dont ever pump 95 or 92 in malaysia if you drive the cx7. Ask me if you have other queries

Oh and, 6th gear cruising is very relaxing in the highway. This car is also very quiet. The steering wheel is very heavy, but has a lot of feedback, but you'll be able to every rumble and vibration through that steering wheel, and I think that is a good thing, unless you're a woman.

• Praise 2

Murano should be approx 8km/l. It has the biggest interior width. A very comfy car to drive. Boot is a little smaller than the RAV4 due to the sloping rest. Only thing is that the interior feels a little cheap. But then so do the rest. I would take the Murano or the RAV4.but rav4 feels better built and the price premium also reflects it.

I am quite surprised by your view that the rav4 is better built, cos all along I feel that the Murano looks and costs (OMV) more expensive. But having said that, I have never been in any Murano cabin yet so I have to see it for myself.

Thank you for your valuable inputs! (:

I drive CX7 on a daily basis. I can tell you that the power is undeniable. Changing lanes have become more about accelerating to overtake rather than brake to undertake and change lane. This is something I'm not able to do in bnb cars (which have about the same power to weight ratio as the crv and rav 4). The turbo kicks in and is the strongest at about 2500rpm to 4500rpm. But this car has a lot of blindspot so its not advisable if you just got out of p-plate. Despite daily driving, I have to turn my head and glance very frequently as the wing mirrors are too "zoomed in". However, this thing is a joy to drive in malaysia, it can keep up with bmw 330i and still feels powerful and responsive at 180kmph, this is where most cars feel breathless and are not accelerating anymore. The rear seats are a little cramped as the handrests on the doors are fairly huge. Seats do lie flat and the boot is huge, even when the seats are not. However the rear seats are also not adjustable. The manual gear overide lags badly but the auto mood is responsive, maybe a little too responsive. A slight depress will result in a gear knockdown, and in the CX7 the knockdown is pretty violent, got a powerful surge. Pedal spacing is very good and can be driven in slippers easily. However be prepared to spend a lot in petrol as the turbo kicks in in normal city driving rpm, I did JB-malacca-KL-malacca-JB across 3 days and spent $800rm+ in petrol. This is ron 97 btw. Dont ever pump 95 or 92 in malaysia if you drive the cx7. Ask me if you have other queries

Oh and, 6th gear cruising is very relaxing in the highway. This car is also very quiet. The steering wheel is very heavy, but has a lot of feedback, but you'll be able to every rumble and vibration through that steering wheel, and I think that is a good thing, unless you're a woman.

Wow thank you so much for your very detailed review of the CX7! You have given me really intimate aspects of the car, and this is really helpful should I decide to buy the CX7. Thanks again!

I used to drive my brother in law's Evo 9 when he was in Vietnam for a 2 week holiday and boy, does the turbocharger thrill! I think I somewhat understand what you are trying to relate about the drive and handling of the CX7.

However, the turbocharger is a double edged sword in my humble opinion. It is nice to have, but reliability is suspect. Can you share with me your maintenance cost for your CX7? Does the CX7 drink engine oil? Also, what kind of fuel efficiency are we looking at for the CX7? Any particular part that the CX7 is prone to failure? Or any added servicing costs that I should be aware of when compared to non-turbocharged rides like the CRV?

You mentioned that we need to pump ron 97 when in Malaysia. Does this mean that I need to feed the car ron 98 while in Singapore? Is there a reason as to why the car can't take Ron 95?

Based on your description, I truly believe that the CX7 has the best drive among the four vehicles I have shortlisted. Now all that is holding me back is really the unknown reliability costs.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice! (:

Edited by Luvalive

Neutral Newbie

Get the CX7 if petrol bill & smaller rear space is not your concern. None of the other cars can come close to handling & power. I been driving 1 for more than 5yrs with freq trips to malaysia. Now driving XC90 & almost wanna vomit blood......

Sin & Malaysia 95 ron is good enough. Mileage now about 120k & repair maintenance less than 5k over the period excluding batteries & tyres change.

BTW, tail lights tends to fog after few years but still usable. I already changed both during warranty but still fog later. Just look out for it when shopping.

• Praise 1

Get the CX7 if petrol bill & smaller rear space is not your concern. None of the other cars can come close to handling & power. I been driving 1 for more than 5yrs with freq trips to malaysia. Now driving XC90 & almost wanna vomit blood......

Sin & Malaysia 95 ron is good enough. Mileage now about 120k & repair maintenance less than 5k over the period excluding batteries & tyres change.

BTW, tail lights tends to fog after few years but still usable. I already changed both during warranty but still fog later. Just look out for it when shopping.

Yes I also noticed that most of the CX7 I see on the road suffers from a "loss of redness" on their rear lights, and this really cause the CX7 to lose some looks appeal! May I know how much it cost to replace them if I need to?

May I also enquire the fuel economy of the CX7? Although my fuel bills are provided for, I would like to make a purchase with my eyes wide open just in case I have to foot my fuel bills later.

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs! (:

Hello everyone,

I'm currently driving a Nov '05 Optra and wishes to upgrade to a SUV.

I have done my sums and have shortlisted these 4 '07/08 models:

• 2007 Mazda CX-7 2.3 Turbo with Sunroof
  • 2008 Nissan Murano 2.5 with Sunroof
  • 2007 Toyota RAV4 2.4 with Sunroof
  • 2007 Honda CRV 2.4 with Sunroof

Please give me your honest feedback as to which model I should pick. As I am looking at about 7 year old rides, I am more concerned about their reliability.

Fuel economy is less of a concern for me as my fuel bills are paid for by the company that I am working for.

My brain tells me to go with RAV4 or CRV, but my heart prefers Murano and the CX7 for their added amenities.

Thank you in advance for your kind advice! (:

cx7 <Guzzler, 1 litre 6km

Edited by Shelltoxin
  • Praise 1

Its going to be costly if you replace at AD. Est 500 per side.

FC about 6-7.5km/l

cx7 <Guzzler, 1 litre 6km

Wow, I hereby announce that I am no longer considering the CX7 for my next ride. 6km/l is tough!

So now it seems it's a battle between the Murano and the CRV. Please continue to share your thoughts! (:

Edited by Luvalive

Wow, I hereby announce that I am no longer considering the CX7 for my next ride. 6km/l is tough!

So now it seems it's a battle between the Murano and the CRV. Please continue to share your thoughts! (:

Hi, if you are looking for a suv, the fc for all shd be Ard that range 6km-9km/l.

I have sat and test drive all models u have chosen (new cars though and quite some times about 1-2 years ago), personally I prefer e cx7.

Since u have drop cx7 from your list, then I would say go for the murano. They do not call it the black label of suv for nothing. Though I find e interior a bit outdated.

Personally I loved the mazda cx9.. in e end I bought the kia sorento..

• Praise 1

Hi, if you are looking for a suv, the fc for all shd be Ard that range 6km-9km/l.

I have sat and test drive all models u have chosen (new cars though and quite some times about 1-2 years ago), personally I prefer e cx7.

Since u have drop cx7 from your list, then I would say go for the murano. They do not call it the black label of suv for nothing. Though I find e interior a bit outdated.

Personally I loved the mazda cx9.. in e end I bought the kia sorento..

I have yet to test drive any of the cars I have shortlisted yet, although I have highest expectations for the CX7. However, I would prefer my ride to be more reliable and at the same time, environmentally friendlier.

Although my fuel bills are paid for, I still consider 6km/l overboard and as such, I have decided to drop CX7 from my consideration. I will also not go test drive the CX7 to further tempt myself. :D

I am now very swayed towards the Murano but for some reasons, the CRV also appeals highly to me. So now I would like to post the litmus test question:

If given that the Murano and CRV has exactly the same depreciation cost, which of the two would you choose?

Anyway congratulations on your purchase for the Kia Sorento, I really like how it looks and also the fact that it seats 7 and there is rear air con for the passengers. (:

I have yet to test drive any of the cars I have shortlisted yet, although I have highest expectations for the CX7. However, I would prefer my ride to be more reliable and at the same time, environmentally friendlier.

Although my fuel bills are paid for, I still consider 6km/l overboard and as such, I have decided to drop CX7 from my consideration. I will also not go test drive the CX7 to further tempt myself. :D

I am now very swayed towards the Murano but for some reasons, the CRV also appeals highly to me. So now I would like to post the litmus test question:

If given that the Murano and CRV has exactly the same depreciation cost, which of the two would you choose?

Anyway congratulations on your purchase for the Kia Sorento, I really like how it looks and also the fact that it seats 7 and there is rear air con for the passengers. (:

My personal opinion will be e murano..

It's a head turner...

My personal opinion will be e murano..

It's a head turner...

Thank you for your opinion. May I confirm the Murano that we are talking about here is the 2008 Murano?

Had the chance to drive both the CRV & Murano (rental cars) in the past.

CRV seems to be the softer of both vehicles. Somehow the design feels weird to me cos of the double grille.

Murano seems to be more fiercer and better looking of both vehicles, looks much bigger in size and better pick-up(2.5L)

If i were you, i would prolly take the Murano, given the ruggedness & looks of the car.

CRV does not feel solid enough IMHO.

Hope this helps. [drivingcar]

Edited by Shox87
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1