Beware! Summoned for alighting pax at double yellow line!

Zert88

What to do? Some passengers alighting from taxi as if they are stepping off the limo and onto the red carpet at the Emmys. Must make sure people can see them and take nice pictures before they step off.

Same thing, the other day I horned at this taxi (more at the passenger actually), who stopped on a one-lane street with a concrete divider, just to pick up the passenger. I barely managed to squeeze past the taxi, as expected the driver shot me the dirty look.

You so horny "horned" the driver no wonder he gave you the dirty look....

Should just "honk" him lah!

:D

↡ Advertisement

The explanation is if there are no bus in bus bay, then traffic form up inside is acceptable, but if bus is in the bus bay, then it should be treated as normal yellow box. Irony, rule of thumb for me is always treat it as yellow box in regardless if there are bus in bus bay or not, likewise, if not, even if there is bus letting passengers to alight and then exiting and was blocked by traffic form up inside the box, what penalty will that be or be treated as obstruction in an yellow box scenario, any Mcfers care to share? [confused]

I realise that nowadays bus captains are taking it for granted. Last week, a SBS bus captain suddenly forced his way in, when I just about to move off when the lights turned green. Luckily my wife alerted me, I horned and he just happily continue to cut in and overtook me. My wife insisted me to report to SBS, but I explained they may have a tight schedule to meet, esp when Tpt ministry emphasis so much on punctuality of bus intervals. Hope that driver will learn his lesson one day.

• Praise 1

scan a copy of the receipt to prove to SPF that what you is true... but hor... could you not have alighted the passenger somewhere else that is nearby? Just wondering

Tats why i wished the the pax pay by cash, tat will take less than a min, btw we r allowed to alight pax at double yellow line but lta decides see me as parking.

If pickup n drop off not allow, tat will b alot easier for us plus more fare for extra distance to carpark or drop off point, but pax will kpkb lta!! Lol!!

I sometimes wonder tat how come paying upon reaching at a location comes at a surprised to them. They will then slowly dig the coins to u. Buey tahan!!!

and if it is a woman passenger... [rolleyes]

• Praise 3

For those stretches with the CCTV the only place you can stop is at the petrol station.. that's why you see the petrol station is so full of cars these day. Eg. the Beach Rd Caltex.

Edited by Count_duku
  • Praise 3

I once chatted with a taxi uncle, and he encountered same situation as TS. He appealed and asked for the authorities to review the CCTV footage again to prove he was really alighting passenger. He was successful in his appeal of course :)

If TS is not caught by CCTV, then probably can use the receipt, or dashcam (with audio) recording as proof.

Good luck !

• Praise 3

For those stretches with the CCTV the only place you can stop is at the petrol station.. that's why you see the petrol station is so full of cars these day. Eg. the Beach Rd Caltex.

Beach Road got Caltex? Near which place?

• Praise 2

http://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=3e564728-aa6f-456d-a46e-151fa6cb1486

CCTVS AT 10 LOCATIONS TO DETER ILLEGAL PARKING FROM 14 APRIL 2014

News Releases 4 Apr 2014

1. From 14 April 2014, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will activate Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras at 10 locations to enforce against illegal parking. LTA had earlier identified 30 locations to implement CCTV cameras to enforce against illegal parking and improve traffic conditions. LTA will progressively install CCTV cameras at the remaining 20 locations, which are targeted to be operational by end-2014.

2. The expansion of the CCTV coverage follows the successful trial along Beach Road (in front of Golden Mile Complex), and at Marine Parade Central (in front of Parkway Parade Shopping Centre). The use of CCTVs has proven to be effective in deterring illegal parking, which has helped to improve traffic flow in the area.

3. The 30 identified locations are public roads distributed across the island, and they are generally selected based on the following considerations:

a. A high incidence of illegal parking, typically daily and throughout the day.

b. The illegal parking situation impedes the smooth movement of public buses, particularly where the roads serve a high number of public bus services.

c. The illegal parking raises safety concerns for pedestrians and road users and leads to chronic traffic congestion.

d. High concentration of pedestrian movement such as in the CBD, or proximity to popular malls, amenities and eateries.

4. Please refer to Annexes A and B for the list of the 30 locations and where they are distributed island-wide.

5. The CCTVs will be operational 24 hours daily. Prominent signs will be put up in the monitoring zones to remind motorists against parking illegally. Please refer to Annex C for photos of the CCTV camera and signage. Motorists are encouraged to observe parking regulations to ensure safe and smooth traffic conditions.

6. LTA will continue to monitor the effectiveness of the CCTVs after implementation and review the need for expansion to other areas.

List of 30 locations selected for installation of cctvs

http://www.lta.gov.sg/data/apps/news/press/2014/20140404_Annex_A_List_30_loc_CCTVs.pdf

Edited by Mercs
  • Praise 9

A380 with more than 800 pax on board can be evacuated in less than 80 seconds, 3 minutes to "alight" from a car sounds like snails alighting leh.....

Your point being? Did the 800 paxs pay by NETS to the CPT or IFS prior to evacuation? Goodness me.

Your analogy is off by a mile mann, seriously.

• Praise 4

treat it as a zebra cross for the bus is a better description as compared to a yellow box. the diff b/w these 2 is even there is empty space for you to move forward after this so call yellow box, you are suppose to stop and give way to the bus first.

Whichever way you can put it is the same, the public bus got priority and allowance of space to move out from the bay even if traffic form up, what we are discussion at this point is how do we interpret the current measure of the box depicting an arrow drawn pointing out from bus bay to the main traffic lane versus an yellow box and should vehicle form up if it is not an traditional yellow box drawn instead! I bet the approach will be the same, no traffic should form up and so that allowance be make for bus to exit comfortably and merge with the main traffic line! [nod]

• Praise 3

A380 with more than 800 pax on board can be evacuated in less than 80 seconds, 3 minutes to "alight" from a car sounds like snails alighting leh.....

Hi, Bro Volvobrick,

Please refer to page 2 post #25 for TS detail explanation about the time taken for alighting his passenger, it's just too unlucky with him been caught by LTA surveillance CCTV at Serangoon MRT Stn..

I hope his Taxi Company would help him out to appeal with LTA authority because $70 fine is very much a burden on his 8 ~ 10 hours hard earnings driving on the road.

• Praise 10

Recieved a parking ticket from LTA for alighting a passenger. Im sure that i stopped for less than 3 mins. Anybody knows is there a time limit for allowing passenger to alight or board?? Or are we not allowed to stop at double yellow line?? Has the rule changed? There are cctv everywhere, so drivers out there pls be careful.

Hi, Bro Zert88,

If it is your first time violation stopping / parking along double yellow line, due to the fact of your job requirement, I believe the authority would give you a final warning and waive your fine.

Please try to submit a good reasoning letter of appeal to LTA for their re-consideration to waive-off, they may give you a chance considering offence time recorded at that wee hours in 12:52am.

Drive Safe and Save.

Edited by 2BDriver
  • Praise 7

I see motorist very smart now. They park and drop off directly under the camera, the first yellow painted lamp post. [laugh]

Normally there are a few camera, one camera don't capture. Others will do.

I saw the one outside Sheng Siong at Punggol road. 3 camera at 3 lamp post.

• Praise 3

Since u guys interested to know why i need 2 mins plus to alight a passenger, ill let u know the reason.

I m a taxi driver, vehicle stopped, the passenger wants to pay by nets, slowly take out wallet, hand over the card, by the time i key in amount, half a min gone, waiting for connection, another half min gone, nets didnt go through, so reset and try again, another min gone.

I Clearly understand dropping off shouldnt takes more than a min in most cases, but there are lots of cases when pax takes their own sweet time. If LTA doesnt take this into account b4 issuing a summon, i wonder what r the chances of an appeal. I may be lucky to get the summon waived this time as i still have the receipt. Next time??

My purpose here is to warn bro n sis here to b careful when stopping at double yellow line, someone watching, 3 min also cannot. For me, do i have a choice??? Either got summon or fark by pax n complain to lta if pax not understanding.

I rather lta set rule tat no pick up/ drop off except taxi stand n carpark. Easier for us, safer for the rest of the world. Peace!

Job hazard bro. Just write in to appeal and avoid stopping at places wif cctv like the one u stopped.

If it makes u feel better, police car also tio summon at those cctv areas when attending to emergency. Pte cars lagi no need to say. Gd luck

• Praise 3

Job hazard bro. Just write in to appeal and avoid stopping at places wif cctv like the one u stopped.

If it , makes u feel better, police car also tio summon at those cctv areas when attending to emergency. Pte cars lagi no need to say. Gd luck

Yah, job hazard, we got too many things to concentrate on. Thanks everyone for being understanding. l try to appeal. I seriously hoped tat the authorities could educate the public the right place to alight and flag a cab. To me, safety is far more important than picking up a fare, b4 u complain tat taxi r not stopping for u, pls look around n see where u stand.
  • Praise 4

Since u guys interested to know why i need 2 mins plus to alight a passenger, ill let u know the reason.

I m a taxi driver, vehicle stopped, the passenger wants to pay by nets, slowly take out wallet, hand over the card, by the time i key in amount, half a min gone, waiting for connection, another half min gone, nets didnt go through, so reset and try again, another min gone.

I Clearly understand dropping off shouldnt takes more than a min in most cases, but there are lots of cases when pax takes their own sweet time. If LTA doesnt take this into account b4 issuing a summon, i wonder what r the chances of an appeal. I may be lucky to get the summon waived this time as i still have the receipt. Next time??

My purpose here is to warn bro n sis here to b careful when stopping at double yellow line, someone watching, 3 min also cannot. For me, do i have a choice??? Either got summon or fark by pax n complain to lta if pax not understanding.

I rather lta set rule tat no pick up/ drop off except taxi stand n carpark. Easier for us, safer for the rest of the world. Peace!

The LTA officer using camera technology can only visually see via the camears any illegal parking and wont be able to know what's happening in your cab and the reason for the delay. You do have a reason to appeal, no point harping over it.

This is a common area for complain due to many illegal parking, passengers cars, taxis parking along the road etc. I believe the area you mentioned is very near to the bus stop and mrt exit and there's a taxi stand just after the bus stop, did you utilise the taxi stand for the passenger to alight?

By not moving off immediately, one would have cause obstruction to other road users. I believe as a seasoned taxi driver, one would have expected that some passengers will take some time to make payment. Bearing in mind that this could cause inconvenienced to others, it's best to find a proper place to stop for alighting. Even as a driver I will see the road situation before alighting my passenger, if I'm likely to cause other vehicles to slow down or stop because of alighting a passenger I will just turn into a carpark to do the alighting.

Rules are set for flexibility, we do not need LTA to set rule to such an extend that no pickup except taxi stand and carpark, but they do have certain similar restriction within CBD area. That's the reason why they still allow appeal with valid reason. The key thing is still whether any obstruction caused.

Do note that under the Road Traffic Act definition of park means:

park means to bring a motor vehicle or a trailer to a stationary position and cause it to wait for any purpose other than that of immediately taking up or setting down persons, goods or luggage;

The above is highlighted in your basic driving theory.

Good luck and make the road a better place for all.

Edited by Dafansu
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6