Drivers of manual car, how do you change your gear?

Mrmilktooth

Yup I used to love manuals, my first 4 cars manuals, good for exercise and leg/hand co-ordination... After my knees start to complain (symptoms of mellowing, not growing old) we tend to convert to autos...

Anyway used to love this during the older.... Errr, I mean earlier days...

I'm not a real racer but just one of those wannabes on Orchard Road in the wee hours of the morning during Ridleys and Rumours days...

Those who were around will know what I'm talking about...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Are you referring to releasing clutch at N before engaging the next gear?

If you are, it is known as double clutch. I did that during Class 5 course (compulsory). Not sure if this is still in practice now.

Edited by Jackson_ngo

I have seen so many kancheong spiders cut here cut there, in the end they arrive when I arrive. Sometimes, they get caught by traffic for being impatient. They could have been faster if they stick to the lane and follow the flow.

Automatic, yes even 4-speed AT by Toyota, gives tremendous acceleration feel when you work the throttle a bit harder than usual. In no time, you will exceed speed limits. For the average drivers, automatic is faster to drive.

Very true. If you know the road conditions (peak or off peak), it wouldnt be hard to identify the lane that is faster. And really, for that 10mins, its not the end of the world. I used to rush last time but come to realise theres no point.

I am enjoying the AT now too. I'm surprised the car's got a decent amount of engine brake too when comparing to my wife's Beetle. But then I still miss the downshifting from 5-3 on highway when dragging people.

Your dad is trying to help you save your synchros.

Full set of synchros + labour to drop transmission when they are gone is quite high you know? :D

Haha... So easy to misread my question...

From starting pt. Always at n.

When u change gear n to 1. Then do you go to n then to 2 or st from 1 to 2..

My dad thought me to do 1 to n to 2..

But I lazy to do so.. Means more time spend to change gear..

It does not mean letting car go to neutral...

For gears 3,4,5 all Wil pass through n ma.. If u realise.. Haha..

Just a though

Yup I used to love manuals, my first 4 cars manuals, good for exercise and leg/hand co-ordination... After my knees start to complain (symptoms of mellowing, not growing old) we tend to convert to autos...

I'm not a real racer but just one of those wannabes on Orchard Road in the wee hours of the morning during Ridleys and Rumours days...

Watch that movie like 100s time, but I find it's quite usless for Jackie Chan to time his shifting, you still need the RPM to pull the car to the correct speed before you shift, what he is doing is just dry shifting.

• Praise 1

U member of venom speed? [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 7

for me, depends.... sometimes 1>2>4>5, sometimes 1>3>4>5, smetimes 1>2>3>4>5..... dun ask me why, I never think what gear to change, its all depends onsituation. my foot n hand is auto and these action nvr went thru my brian... its simply errmm, auto.

Edited by Tigershark1976
  • Praise 2

U member of venom speed? [lipsrsealed]

Are those the RX-7 Savannas with the big stickers?

No Laaa... I'm more of bystander...

Edited by Phillim

for me, depends.... sometimes 1>2>4>5, sometimes 1>3>4>5, smetimes 1>2>3>4>5..... dun ask me why, I never think what gear to change, its all depends onsituation. my foot n hand is auto and these action nvr went thru my brian... its simply errmm, auto.

wow, man & machine fully in sync. [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

As a manual driver, I applied the gear according depend on how I feel the torque and speed at that moment. No need to be sequential 1>2>3>4>5 or reversal. It is fun to maneuver the gear depend on the torque and speed on that circumstances.

How do you change gears. From 1 to 2....

Juat interested to know how majority do it...

From n to 1 to n to 2 and so on...

Or from n to 1 to 2 to n to 3 and so on...

If you drove paddles, or +/_ type. Then not applicable..

As long as I am in the right speed for the gear, I do not always change gears (up or drop gears) in a sequential manner.

For instance where traffic situation allows, and I have cruised in high gear to a low enough speed, I may skip gears to match the engine, sometimes do double de-clutching since I sucks at heel and toe.

Sometimes I may drag in gear 1 or 2, then skip gears to say 3rd or 4th.

All these done matching the engine rpm...so need to know your engine well enough else excessive wear.

But if traffic is heavy I normally change sequentially to ensure I am at the right speed and power band to merge smoothly with traffic, or ensure I am in higher RPM range if I feel I need to get out of a situation, or if I am in a rush. That's the good thing about driving a manual...I got to choose specifically the state of the engine.

But again...generally I change gear sequentially lah...hahaha....

What is power-shifting just in case you wonders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHaVoSnzymQ

This guy definitely out-shifted a traditional Torque Converter autobox in manual mode. [drivingcar][thumbsup]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv791ac2bmE

woah...thanks for the video...

power shifting hurt the transmission or not?

hahaha...on the same page of the power shift video...on the right hand column got this video from WRX that tells you not to power shift...

Haha... So easy to misread my question...

From starting pt. Always at n.

When u change gear n to 1. Then do you go to n then to 2 or st from 1 to 2..

My dad thought me to do 1 to n to 2..

But I lazy to do so.. Means more time spend to change gear..

It does not mean letting car go to neutral...

For gears 3,4,5 all Wil pass through n ma.. If u realise.. Haha..

Just a though

Double Crutch ? only Old lorry need that to in-sync crutch and gearbox.

Normally 1 to 2 don't go thru N. Sometimes I jump 1 to even 3, then to 5. I tend to skip gears if I find the torque is enough. But like other bros, when over taking will down shift 2 and rev

when you jump from 1st to 3rd gear, would it mean that (a) need to rev gear 1 to quite high, (b) speed/rpm is not at 'there' yet resulting in engine sputtering and © spoiling gearbox?

just curious as i tried the shifting from gear 3 to 5 before and it felt underpowered.

• Praise 1

when you jump from 1st to 3rd gear, would it mean that (a) need to rev gear 1 to quite high, (b) speed/rpm is not at 'there' yet resulting in engine sputtering and © spoiling gearbox?

just curious as i tried the shifting from gear 3 to 5 before and it felt underpowered.

No need, if you drive manual car long enough you will know that when not enough power, the car jusy vibrate like your last drop of pee and its quite common that happen when drivers don't understand their clutch biting point well.

Its the downshift part that you have to take note more if you are at high speed down shifting. Thats where heel toe came into play.

• Praise 2

Maybe. I power shifted all my manual rides (including my present WRX) so far non failed.

hahaha...on the same page of the power shift video...on the right hand column got this video from WRX that tells you not to power shift...

For me, i don't really care. I usually

whack

broke

fix

repeat

and it goes on and on.......

• Praise 2

just want to check with the manual drivers here [(seems like some are here in this thread :)]

do you guys like to put gear into neutral and coast along?

i am in 2 minds about it

good point about coasting - relaxing. only need to tap brake.

bad point about coasting - steerring is light and need to re-engage gear if traffic situation changes.

another point is.. does coasting reallllly save alot of fuel?

just want to check with the manual drivers here [(seems like some are here in this thread :)]

do you guys like to put gear into neutral and coast along?

i am in 2 minds about it

good point about coasting - relaxing. only need to tap brake.

bad point about coasting - steerring is light and need to re-engage gear if traffic situation changes.

another point is.. does coasting reallllly save alot of fuel?

no

no

no

↡ Advertisement