OH Rats! Shelter collapse At Bukit Batok

Volvobrick

Supersonic

I just checked out the one at my neighbourhood. The pillars damn solid, if this unker bang here, the whole lorlee sure boomz and break into bits, all tyres fly everywhere.

They probably only take into consideration, a car hitting the pillar head on.

They didn't count on a lorry with an arm hitting the top and the whole thing acting as a huge lever pulling the pillar off its base.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Do your aware that there is a "crooked" road along the Clementi MRT station, it was caused by the overhead bridge the support column at the middle of the road; and part of the overhead support was actually protruded to the on going traffic, hence, the road has to be bent a bit in order to accommodate (i think was the design problem) the protrusion. It looks very funny...

Please drive carefully when passing though the road along the Clementi MRT station

Yes. Drive pass this area quite often..... It is common to see poor designs lacking commonsense all over Singapore now.

Eg shelter for pedestrians with roof sloping down towards rather than away a zebra crossing channeling rain water onto pedestrians walking to and from the crossing.

Idiotic designers supervised by idiotic agencies.

The design of the fallen shelter is very common. it only consider gravity, but probably cannot tahan any lateral loads on the roof like wind or in this case truck hitting the roof.

If someone were to be crushed, the family should sue the HDB for the flawed design .

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

You mean in the direction of commonwealth and just after the MRT station ?

Yes.

Do you think that portion of road look very "odd"? In tact I think is very dangerous.

Why LTA approved it??? 

• Praise 1

But the fault lies in the lorry driver ... why didn't he bring down the arm ... i'm sure he knows his work well or did he forget

I don't know if there is a sensor to tell if once he starts driving or puts his vehicle in gear there would be like a warning light (similar to like our car door open type or seat belt fastening type) Once in a while we do get reports of such incidents with so many overhead bridges an covered paths .        

I agree that this is lorry driver fault too.

We can't design and build all our overhead bridges / shelters to cater to the structure being hit by cranes.

Driver was negligent. Period.

Some more this is damage to public property, mata will open file one.

Yes.

Do you think that portion of road look very "odd"? In tact I think is very dangerous.

Why LTA approved it??? 

yes, I passed thru it a few times and wondered how it can be approved.

accident waiting to happen if you ask me.

the 'kink' is not very visible at night too.

i just try to avoid travelling thru there if I can. 

• Praise 2

I agree that this is lorry driver fault too.

We can't design and build all our overhead bridges / shelters to cater to the structure being hit by cranes.

Driver was negligent. Period.

Some more this is damage to public property, mata will open file one.

yes, I passed thru it a few times and wondered how it can be approved.

accident waiting to happen if you ask me.

the 'kink' is not very visible at night too.

i just try to avoid travelling thru there if I can. 

Yes. You r right to say that ... waiting for the accident to happen then the authority will then look into

it 慢三拍...

How to let others drivers beware this 'odd kink"? And also,those residents are crossing

that overhead bridge? This is just a time bomb... 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

How to let others drivers beware this 'odd kink"? And also,those residents are crossing

Nobody cares about time bomb.

We just wait for people to get killed before "authorities" will do something.

That has always been the case.

• Praise 1

Now everyone begins to point fingers at the government

In this Bukit Batok case, it is definitely the lorry drive fault, but the design have to do it properly right? it cannot collapse so easily just because of one hit?

How about those lifts in HDB? It become a Singaporeans nightmare whenever taking a lift.

• Praise 3

Yes. You r right to say that ... waiting for the accident to happen then the authority will then look into

it 慢三拍...

yup ... just gotta be a bit more alert and defensive if you really have to drive thru there, bro.

• Praise 1

According to this link below, there around 1.1 million HDB units built since 1960 to 2015 (hope i am correct)  

http://www.teoalida.com/singapore/hdbstatistics/

If assuming 1 block has 100 units, then it will out around 10k HBD block in Singapore, if one block has 2 lifts, then it is around 20k lifts. What will you think it will take how long for the authority to check your own block?

Why only HDB lifts has so much problem in the last 5 years but not the commercial buildings?

Something is not right somewhere about all the Government design???

Supersonic

According to this link below, there around 1.1 million HDB units built since 1960 to 2015 (hope i am correct)  

http://www.teoalida.com/singapore/hdbstatistics/

If assuming 1 block has 100 units, then it will out around 10k HBD block in Singapore, if one block has 2 lifts, then it is around 20k lifts. What will you think it will take how long for the authority to check your own block?

Why only HDB lifts has so much problem in the last 5 years but not the commercial buildings?

Something is not right somewhere about all the Government design???

Many years back, it was mandatory for the lift maintenance and inspection company to issue a certificate and have it posted inside the lift so everyone can see when it was maintained and whether any maintenance was skipped.

Somehow, this requirement was removed by the government over the years (dunno for what reason). I can see that the latest measures have included it again.

1 Step forward and 1 step back.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Many years back, it was mandatory for the lift maintenance and inspection company to issue a certificate and have it posted inside the lift so everyone can see when it was maintained and whether any maintenance was skipped.

Somehow, this requirement was removed by the government over the years (dunno for what reason). I can see that the latest measures have included it again.

1 Step forward and 1 step back.

Probably some wise man suggest TC can save money by not having lift inspected.

Oh Rats!

How come Bukit Buttock has every type of problems?  Gombak also quite near... that one woman problem.

Nobody cares about time bomb.

We just wait for people to get killed before "authorities" will do something.

That has always been the case.

Yup, when nothing happens, the party will sing, dance and more importantly, self-praise.

When things happen, cannot blame anyone, and must move on quickly.

(edited)

Ah wait, another incident in Bukit Batok, and this time it's the lift.

https://www.facebook.com/shinmindailynewsxinmingribao/photos/a.358346434223942.79082.357787027613216/1079444425447469/?type=3&theater

Apparently, lift not level with the floor and auntie tripped and hurt herself.

When most, if not all, the TCs gather together to nego the maintenance contract, they squeeze until so happily.

Self-praise economy of scale, help everyone save money. $$ saved so they can invest in losing deals.

Ask for Cheaper, Faster work, but forgotten to ask for Bestest work.

Now problems start surfacing, one after another, and all are almost similar problems, self-repeating.

30cm gap is HUGE, and shouldn't have been missed during maintenance check, if any in the first place...

Edited by Kingkong
  • Praise 1

yes ... see ERP gantry kee chiu !!!  [:p]

No use , no matter what the LTA will not lose money.

they will claim the Lorry insurance for loss of income, which can account for up to millions , not able to be repaired for at least a week.

then next year those under the same damn insurance company will get their premium increase......

One of the pillar holding up the roof was rooted right in the middle of the footpath cos of a manhole just beside. Lol!

Heng Ah............ not one of the soft 'pillar' shaft into one of the engineer as*hole..... [:p]

↡ Advertisement