"Brand New" VW touran $28K repair bill.

Keithchue

28k can buy a brand new touran in another country liao

agree... but don't know what is needed to change., anyone has a copy of the new paper today. can help to check it out?

oh, the papers saws brand new VW. only few days old

Mentioned had water in the fuel system. Diesel system some more. How do you get water in the system?

Could come from when they pumped - it is possible for water to leak into underground fuel tanks.

A short while ago - we managed to get water into our system - luckily it caused no damage - just remove plugs, blast out with compressed air and carry on.

But I would expect that fuel filter should be able to remove small amount of water - so would also have to wonder what happened.

There is a thread started by the owner in vagsg forum. It has been pushed here and there by VW for quite some time and I guess the owner has no choice but to make it public now.

No lemon law in place meh ?

But 28k that is freaking lots of money to pay for repair. Not to mention a Brand New Car ... seriously WTF.

Consumers are not protected at all .....

VW .... I dont think I would ever buy their cars ...

• Praise 2

But 28k that is freaking lots of money to pay for repair. Not to mention a Brand New Car ... seriously WTF.

...since when sinkies are protected....???

• Praise 1

yes 28K is quite some money but common la,......let's be fair about it, not necessarily VW fault la,

.........sometimes fuel cap / cover never close properly wash or go car wash also can tiok one hor., once also saw attendant haven't put back the fuel cap, pour water on the surrounding body maybe one to wash some spillage or what I also don't know....

or maybe happen across the causeway ? pump attendant kiseow and sabo [hur]

you talk macham all VW cars like that <_<, anything goes wrong only,...someone's else fault, consumers not protected and so on...........owners also must have due diligence mah.....got reverse sensors and cam don't mean no need to look-see look-see right ?

,....whatever happen to the Innocent Until Proven Guilty bit ?, Lucky you not one of our court judges [laugh], like that everybody when time is right just put some water, .... and can claim lemon law, warranty , get new parts or maybe even a new engine or whatever ?

anyway my 2 cents,...something is just not right and believe there is more to this story than meets the eye.

• Praise 5

yes 28K is quite some money but common la,......let's be fair about it, not necessarily VW fault la,

.........sometimes fuel cap / cover never close properly wash or go car wash also can tiok one hor., once also saw attendant haven't put back the fuel cap, pour water on the surrounding body maybe one to wash some spillage or what I also don't know....

or maybe happen across the causeway ? pump attendant kiseow and sabo [hur]

you talk macham all VW cars like that <_<, anything goes wrong only,...someone's else fault, consumers not protected and so on...........owners also must have due diligence mah.....got reverse sensors and cam don't mean no need to look-see look-see right ?

,....whatever happen to the Innocent Until Proven Guilty bit ?, Lucky you not one of our court judges [laugh], like that everybody when time is right just put some water, .... and can claim lemon law, warranty , get new parts or maybe even a new engine or whatever ?

anyway my 2 cents,...something is just not right and believe there is more to this story than meets the eye.

I quote "I dont think I would ever buy their cars".... It is about me and my choice.

I did not say all VW cars are like that ..... and I raise the question on Lemon Laws.

Everyone have a choice ......

• Praise 1

You all jin funny. Know the source is from the newpaper but nobody search their website.

Nah nah nah...not the full article but better dan nothing.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/water-diesel-shock-couples-new-140000-car-needs-28000-repairs

NP_20141223_JIFUEL23-W83_713184.jpg

In September, they bought a Volkswagen Touran TDI 1.6 seven-seater to replace their second-hand Honda Civic.

Mr Cheah Khuan Yew, 37, and his wife Jessica, 41, needed a bigger car for their family of five.

But after Mr Cheah topped up diesel in the four-day-old car, the engine started stuttering.

Three months later, the findings from an inspection found that the car engine had been damaged by water-tainted diesel. But ExxonMobil proved to the couple that it was not a fuel problem.

Volkswagen has told the Cheahs that it would cost $28,000 to replace the engine and fuel system, which is not covered by the car warranty and insurance.

And they are still baffled as to how water could have entered the fuel tank of their new car.

Read the full report in our print edition on Dec 23

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/water-diesel-shock-couples-new-140000-car-needs-28000-repairs#sthash.lgvRhRZo.dpuf

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2