"Brand New" VW touran $28K repair bill.

Keithchue

Check the design of fuel cock and flap cover. It could the source of water ingress.

For traditional Japanese cars, it's always the turn cover with racheting sound. It's an evergreen proven design.

For contis, most have moved on to F1 style design w/o you to screw and unscrew, but watch out how they are designed and implemented.

• Praise 1

I quote "I dont think I would ever buy their cars".... It is about me and my choice.

I did not say all VW cars are like that ..... and I raise the question on Lemon Laws.

Everyone have a choice ......

I thought so ....tell me something new,.......ok ok you win lor [wave]

I hazard guess that could be the reason too.

Most contis don't have cap anymore. You open the flap, then push the nozzle into the hole with a spring-loaded cock. Once withdraw, the cock takes a bit of time to retract and seal up the hole. So, if impatient splash water immediately, sure kena.

pump diesel and do the pour water to wash off diesel stains from kayu pumping and never close cap tight and then leak

self own

• Praise 1

I hazard guess that could be the reason too.

Most contis don't have cap anymore. You open the flap, then push the nozzle into the hole with a spring-loaded cock. Once withdraw, the cock takes a bit of time to retract and seal up the hole. So, if impatient splash water immediately, sure kena.

but the spring loaded door will take what .. a second, two max? how much water can possibly go in? even if pump in the rain, u shud get very minimal splashing in there (due to angle etc). this story just seems to strange ...

You all jin funny. Know the source is from the newpaper but nobody search their website.

Nah nah nah...not the full article but better dan nothing.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/water-diesel-shock-couples-new-140000-car-needs-28000-repairs

NP_20141223_JIFUEL23-W83_713184.jpg

In September, they bought a Volkswagen Touran TDI 1.6 seven-seater to replace their second-hand Honda Civic.

Mr Cheah Khuan Yew, 37, and his wife Jessica, 41, needed a bigger car for their family of five.

But after Mr Cheah topped up diesel in the four-day-old car, the engine started stuttering.

Three months later, the findings from an inspection found that the car engine had been damaged by water-tainted diesel. But ExxonMobil proved to the couple that it was not a fuel problem.

Volkswagen has told the Cheahs that it would cost $28,000 to replace the engine and fuel system, which is not covered by the car warranty and insurance.

And they are still baffled as to how water could have entered the fuel tank of their new car.

Read the full report in our print edition on Dec 23

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/water-diesel-shock-couples-new-140000-car-needs-28000-repairs#sthash.lgvRhRZo.dpuf

New car and its 4-days old .. and still need to cough out $28k for repair ... omg !

Somebody must be at fault...

2 big parties pushing here and there.. and in the end, consumer aka owner LPPL, have to pay the repair cost...

Pity to the owner....

i don't know how much water is need to sputter the engine. but petrol versions do also expose to this problems since the nozzle and the cars have the same action when pumping gas.

the warranty doesn't cover the engine and fuel system?

guess it is up to (god knows who) to pay for the repair bill, a 4 days old car needs an engine and fuel system replacement, geez....

Edited by Keithchue
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

i don't know how much water is need to sputter the engine. but petrol versions do also expose to this problems since the nozzle and the cars have the same action when pumping gas.

the warranty doesn't cover the engine and fuel system?

guess it is up to (god knows who) to pay for the repair bill, a 4 days old car needs an engine and fuel system replacement, geez....

Some vw diesel engine models do come with sensor to tell water in fuel tank. Not sure if this feature is included in our local AD offering?

New car and its 4-days old .. and still need to cough out $28k for repair ... omg !

Somebody must be at fault...

2 big parties pushing here and there.. and in the end, consumer aka owner LPPL, have to pay the repair cost...

Pity to the owner....

maybe it was given 7 types of flower bath to chase away bad spirit....aka the 7dsg bad spirit!
  • Praise 4

question - how do you know, when u drive away from the AD(since the car is 3-4 days old) that the error wasnt made on their part when they handover the vehicle? normally they will also clean and pump full tank before handing to customer as a courtesy right?

• Praise 2

Now that u mention, I have seen on more than 1 occasion, where car driven on the road , has the fuel flap not closed. Such sightings are not rare at all.

Anyway, i always check my flap after pumping. And these days, I have changed to pumping myself instead after reading the 'getting the most of your $' pump fuel thread.

Check the design of fuel cock and flap cover. It could the source of water ingress.

For traditional Japanese cars, it's always the turn cover with racheting sound. It's an evergreen proven design.

For contis, most have moved on to F1 style design w/o you to screw and unscrew, but watch out how they are designed and implemented.

• Praise 4

question - how do you know, when u drive away from the AD(since the car is 3-4 days old) that the error wasnt made on their part when they handover the vehicle? normally they will also clean and pump full tank before handing to customer as a courtesy right?

Sp4wn

Posted Today, 01:46 PM

Which AD will pump full tank before handle to Customer? All I know after getting car from AD, must visit the Petrol Kiosk.

• Praise 1

Sp4wn Posted Today, 01:46 PM question - how do you know, when u drive away from the AD(since the car is 3-4 days old) that the error wasnt made on their part when they handover the vehicle? normally they will also clean and pump full tank before handing to customer as a courtesy right? Which AD will pump full tank before handle to Customer? All I know after getting car from AD, must visit the Petrol Kiosk.

i dont recall this for cycle & carriage. normally its full or close to full tank when you pick up your benz? or am i remembering it wrongly?

when i collected my brand new car......the fuel empty lights went off....nb.....not even a km and i had to top up!

When I collected my new car from AD, the fuel gauge indicated less than 1 bar. I have to pump fuel at near by petrol kiosk before heading to anywhere. Maybe AD may pump full tank for luxury car.

↡ Advertisement