"Brand New" VW touran $28K repair bill.

Keithchue

when i collected my brand new car......the fuel empty lights went off....nb.....not even a km and i had to top up!

Mine was almost the same case when I collected my new car years ago. Maybe that's what happen to the VW, to prevent the fuel empty light flashing some moron top up a little bit of water... [grin][hur]

Edited by Brobear
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

oh my goodness!! what's going on? [bounce1]

Mine was almost the same case when I collected my new car years ago. Maybe that's what happen to the VW, to prevent the fuel empty light flashing some moron top up a little bit of water... [grin][hur]

• Praise 2

dont think vw would be so cheapskate to add water.....it can happen during transportation or accidently by someone. Now taichi lor!

when i collected my brand new car......the fuel empty lights went off....nb.....not even a km and i had to top up!

hmmm ok. i got a full tank with my car....

if i am the AD for your car i will also give full tank lor and knowing how thirsty Godzilla can get....hahaha. Thanks for your 5er.....the comment made me laugh.......hahaha!

When I collected my new car from AD, the fuel gauge indicated less than 1 bar. I have to pump fuel at near by petrol kiosk before heading to anywhere. Maybe AD may pump full tank for luxury car.

I bot few times fr AD, usu give half tank. N mine is bnb car.

Ur car super car / lux car nvr give full tank bo standard. In fact, should give u few full tanks.

Yahooo........ [bounce2][bounce2]

It's year end once again...

VW is having their best push for the 'Car of the Year' [lipsrsealed]

Good job

Do u mean car (repair) of the year?

guys, saw front page of new paper this morning, VW diesel 28K repair bill.. wonder what is wrong

Is there a possibility head gasket issue where coolant enters engine?
  • Praise 1

Actually for diesel engine there's a water separator or water filter to filter out water in the diesel. Sometimes you can see it on trucks which is right behind the driver's cabin. You can see a big valve like thing that allows you to purge the water when the valve is full.

If VW says that their findings of the diesel tainted with water, most likely other brands also have the same issue but not to the extent that will cause an engine failure like in this case.

One reason is all fuels "holds" water or contains some water. But unlike petrol, diesel fuel is less refine and will hold a larger amount compared to petrol. That's why we have fuel filter in our cars. Some needed to be replace entirely or some just need to purge the water content.

The question now is how much water is found in the diesel in their findings which as a result in failure to the engine. And how Exxonmobil can prove the water content levels are safe to use. Or it could be what some suggested, negligence due to fuel cap not properly closed, rain water sipped into the fuel tank.

• Praise 1

the warranty doesn't cover the engine and fuel system?

If you buy a phone and drop it into the swimming pool, will the warranty cover the damage? How can a manufacturer cover things which are not its fault?

if i am the AD for your car i will also give full tank lor and knowing how thirsty Godzilla can get....hahaha. Thanks for your 5er.....the comment made me laugh.......hahaha!

my friend got full tank with his c180 before also. and that time the car was about 120k with COE! (think in 2008/9).

dunno la, looks like every AD got their own pattern. or maybe the agent come out from pocket as a courtesy. who knows? :D

If you buy a phone and drop it into the swimming pool, will the warranty cover the damage? How can a manufacturer cover things which are not its fault?

in your case, if the manufacturer sells you a phone with water damage, you should be able to tell right off the bat (with the waterproof stickers being damaged).

with a car .. how to tell? so many internal parts.

the fact that it happened 4 days after collection speaks volumes. most owners when they first pick up their car treat it like a baby (let's be honest ... first 6 months, i used to wax my car myself once a week. outside and inside. now my car is lucky to get a petrol station wash once every 2 weeks ... hahaha)

• Praise 2

in your case, if the manufacturer sells you a phone with water damage, you should be able to tell right off the bat (with the waterproof stickers being damaged).

with a car .. how to tell? so many internal parts.

I guess we'll never know for sure but as you can see from the Shell case in the link I posted, if there is water in the fuel the problems start almost instantly. If there was water in the fuel at the point of delivery it would almost certainly have caused issues in the first day, not to mention 4 days.

• Praise 4

I hazard guess that could be the reason too.

Most contis don't have cap anymore. You open the flap, then push the nozzle into the hole with a spring-loaded cock. Once withdraw, the cock takes a bit of time to retract and seal up the hole. So, if impatient splash water immediately, sure kena.

But in any case - it is relatively foreseeable that small amounts of water will get into the fuel tank - from condensation if from nothing else.

It's a matter of "how much" we are talking about, and also why there wasn't a system for filtering the water off before damage engine (or more likely - why that system didn't work).

if the volume of water was really so much that it overflowed the fuel filter - how come? Is it possible that somehow topped up water into the wrong place? Eg - add to engine oil?

And I'd also like to know - how did Exxon "pove" it wasn't their fault? And furthermore - if it was the kiosk - wouldn't it have affected more than one car?

• Praise 1

Sp4wn Posted Today, 01:46 PM question - how do you know, when u drive away from the AD(since the car is 3-4 days old) that the error wasnt made on their part when they handover the vehicle? normally they will also clean and pump full tank before handing to customer as a courtesy right? Which AD will pump full tank before handle to Customer? All I know after getting car from AD, must visit the Petrol Kiosk.

I got 1/2 tank. guess this is a norm?

↡ Advertisement