"Brand New" VW touran $28K repair bill.

Keithchue

my friend got full tank with his c180 before also. and that time the car was about 120k with COE! (think in 2008/9).

dunno la, looks like every AD got their own pattern. or maybe the agent come out from pocket as a courtesy. who knows? :D

i told the se before i signed better gibe me full tank....he said hokay boss...but delivery was at another place...llst!
↡ Advertisement

i told the se before i signed better gibe me full tank....he said hokay boss...but delivery was at another place...llst!

i actually forgot to ask. but was pleasantly surprised by their action.

actually, even though my car out of warranty for 2+ years, they did me a favour 2 weeks ago. not a small repair too - took about 1/4 day to get it done. but they didnt charge me for the part (and no, there was no recall for the part)

I am rather surprised by the number of people that have been given a car with NO fuel inside -

It seems rather shortsighted and stingy to me.

If I were the SE, I would be sure to top up every car if at all possible - after all, the car costs approx $100k or more - what is $100 for a tank of gas if the customer goes away feeling "shiok" about the level of service they have been given?

A very small thing that will reap a tonne of benefits in the longer term.

The only exception I would give here would be if the car cannot be driven out (for whatever reason) to a nearby kiosk - in which case you know what I would be doing? During handover I would be passing the new owner $100 petrol voucher and apologise for not topping tank (and then tell why cannot drive car out)

• Praise 1

From VW pov: Water in tank shd surface soon after handing over the vehicle. Not after 4 days.

From petrol station pov: Only this VW kenna water in tank? Your car special?

So vw owner kenna push and there lor.

Maybe fuel cap was not closed properly owner self pwn?

• Praise 2

From VW pov: Water in tank shd surface soon after handing over the vehicle. Not after 4 days.

From petrol station pov: Only this VW kenna water in tank? Your car special?

So vw owner kenna push and there lor.

Maybe fuel cap was not closed properly owner self pwn?

even if fuel cap not closed properly, isnt the pump nozzle entrance spring loaded? you need a considerable amount of force to push down .. rain or just splashing wouldnt really cut it, imho. unless VW makes their fuel nozzle entrances out of paper.

i dont know much about this issue, but cant the manufacturer "flush" the components as opposed to replacing? or scared of water/corrosion? (dont know much about the parts, as you can tell)

if AD thought that it was their fault, they would quietly repair under warranty without this becoming public.

if Esso was the one at fault, they would have recalled all the vehicles impacted by the tainted fuel, again quietly.

both have their own in-house lawyers to deal with any lawsuits

loser therefore would be the customer if he decides to pursue the case

so just pay up since it's cheaper. save the legal fees and also bearing in mind the coe timebomb is ticking everyday the car is in the workshop and also have the deal with the inconvenience of public transport

case closed...let's all go for kopi [grouphug]

:D

• Praise 3

even if fuel cap not closed properly, isnt the pump nozzle entrance spring loaded? you need a considerable amount of force to push down .. rain or just splashing wouldnt really cut it, imho. unless VW makes their fuel nozzle entrances out of paper.

i dont know much about this issue, but cant the manufacturer "flush" the components as opposed to replacing? or scared of water/corrosion? (dont know much about the parts, as you can tell)

haven seen 1, but izit possible for the spring loaded entrance to be lodged with something, hence didnt fully closed.

U know AD.....anything = change the whole thing.

• Praise 2

if AD thought that it was their fault, they would quietly repair under warranty without this becoming public.

if Esso was the one at fault, they would have recalled all the vehicles impacted by the tainted fuel, again quietly.

both have their own in-house lawyers to deal with any lawsuits

loser therefore would be the customer if he decides to pursue the case

so just pay up since it's cheaper. save the legal fees and also bearing in mind the coe timebomb is ticking everyday the car is in the workshop and also have the deal with the inconvenience of public transport

case closed...let's all go for kopi [grouphug]

Lesson learnt: don't go esso and vw lor :D

haven seen 1, but izit possible for the spring loaded entrance to be lodged with something, hence didnt fully closed.

U know AD.....anything = change the whole thing.

hmm. makes sense! didnt think of that.

• Praise 1

Heee...I guess one lesson learnt -

As soon as pick up car, you should go for a long long drive straightway -

If at all possible do a couple of circuits of Singapore - AYE > PIE > KJE > BKE > SLE > TPE > ECP > AYE...do it late at night, should take you around 1 hour or so per loop, try to do 2 or 3 loops...

Then any problems can show up straightway - take back to AD the next day

I am rather surprised by the number of people that have been given a car with NO fuel inside -

It seems rather shortsighted and stingy to me.

If I were the SE, I would be sure to top up every car if at all possible - after all, the car costs approx $100k or more - what is $100 for a tank of gas if the customer goes away feeling "shiok" about the level of service they have been given?

A very small thing that will reap a tonne of benefits in the longer term.

The only exception I would give here would be if the car cannot be driven out (for whatever reason) to a nearby kiosk - in which case you know what I would be doing? During handover I would be passing the new owner $100 petrol voucher and apologise for not topping tank (and then tell why cannot drive car out)

ok....u become se u tell me har! I sure support......if i ģot the money for a nx new car.......that is!
  • Praise 1

Heee...I guess one lesson learnt -

As soon as pick up car, you should go for a long long drive straightway -

If at all possible do a couple of circuits of Singapore - AYE > PIE > KJE > BKE > SLE > TPE > ECP > AYE...do it late at night, should take you around 1 hour or so per loop, try to do 2 or 3 loops...

Then any problems can show up straightway - take back to AD the next day

[hur]

you don't know what is the warranty for?

[hur]

you don't know what is the warranty for?

Er yes...

So what - your suggestion is to use the car as little as possible during warranty period?

What I am suggesting is actually about three fold

1. Brand new car, fun to drive, spoil yourself by taking it out for a spin

2. Is good to get the first couple of hundred KM out of the way as soon as possible - if there was a "problem" present with the car AT delivery, wouldn't it be good to get that to show up immediately by doing a few hundred KM first?

3. Is a good idea to get the "feel" of a new car and experience behind the wheel ASAP.

Actually, if I really got time - in my first month of ownership I would take car up to KL and back to help to break in engine, see how everything goes and just for the pure fun of driving a new car.

• Praise 1

Er yes...

So what - your suggestion is to use the car as little as possible during warranty period?

What I am suggesting is actually about three fold

1. Brand new car, fun to drive, spoil yourself by taking it out for a spin

2. Is good to get the first couple of hundred KM out of the way as soon as possible - if there was a "problem" present with the car AT delivery, wouldn't it be good to get that to show up immediately by doing a few hundred KM first?

3. Is a good idea to get the "feel" of a new car and experience behind the wheel ASAP.

Actually, if I really got time - in my first month of ownership I would take car up to KL and back to help to break in engine, see how everything goes and just for the pure fun of driving a new car.

平常心

old or new, it's just a car to bring you and your loved ones where you need to go

Edited by Enye

平常心

old or new, it's just a car to bring you and your loved ones where you need to go

Different people - different perspectives.

I happen to find it exciting to be driving a new family car, and take joy in taking cars for a "spin" -

There is satisfaction and enjoyment to be had in the solitude of enjoying my "new toy"

This is obviously balanced out by others that just view cars as a tool to get their families around -

Like they say, one man's meat is another man's poison

That's why VW don't want to entertain...they know they are on terra firma.

Either many cars visiting the same station kpkb or many vw owners kpkb about water in tank (like the infamous DSG7), otherwise the owner shd just tiam tiam.

If the owner thinks by kpkb to the media, VW or Esso will roll over...

My TDI fuel filter has a bottom screw.

Any water present in the fuel will settle to the bottom at the filter, and you just need to unscrew to let the water out.

I just find it strange in this case, that so much water can push through, enough to damage the engine.

If the owner thinks by kpkb to the media, VW or Esso will roll over...

i don't think the owner expects esso and vw to give in. But probably he got pissed off cause they didn't want to accept liability. So might as well publish and hopefully 'hurt' them somehow with lost business. probably being a little vindictive here but then, if you were in the same shoes, wouldn't you? 28k is not chump change ley.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4