"Brand New" VW touran $28K repair bill.

Keithchue

yes... empathise with the owner... [bigcry]

i don't think the owner expects esso and vw to give in. But probably he got pissed off cause they didn't want to accept liability. So might as well publish and hopefully 'hurt' them somehow with lost business. probably being a little vindictive here but then, if you were in the same shoes, wouldn't you? 28k is not chump change ley.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Heee...I guess one lesson learnt -

As soon as pick up car, you should go for a long long drive straightway -

If at all possible do a couple of circuits of Singapore - AYE > PIE > KJE > BKE > SLE > TPE > ECP > AYE...do it late at night, should take you around 1 hour or so per loop, try to do 2 or 3 loops...

Then any problems can show up straightway - take back to AD the next day

I actually did that on the first day of collection. I clock about 800+km in just 1 day all within SG just to run it in ASAP. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Different people - different perspectives.

I happen to find it exciting to be driving a new family car, and take joy in taking cars for a "spin" -

There is satisfaction and enjoyment to be had in the solitude of enjoying my "new toy"

This is obviously balanced out by others that just view cars as a tool to get their families around -

Like they say, one man's meat is another man's poison

Understand the excitement of driving a new car

But I found that because of unfamiliarity of the car when new, it's quite dangerous to drive esp for long trips

I started enjoying the drive when I became more familiar with the new car features and I can concentrate on the drive

Anyway whatever floats your boat

😀

Understand the excitement of driving a new car

But I found that because of unfamiliarity of the car when new, it's quite dangerous to drive esp for long trips

I started enjoying the drive when I became more familiar with the new car features and I can concentrate on the drive

Anyway whatever floats your boat

😀

Other than brake pedal, accelerator pedal, steering wheel & hand brake, what else to be familiar with?

• Praise 2

[thumbsup]

I guess we'll never know for sure but as you can see from the Shell case in the link I posted, if there is water in the fuel the problems start almost instantly. If there was water in the fuel at the point of delivery it would almost certainly have caused issues in the first day, not to mention 4 days.

must praise you but already did earlier,....so post some nice words as substitute :D

you did good [thumbsup] ,

like that can or not ? [laugh]

I actually did that on the first day of collection. I clock about 800+km in just 1 day all within SG just to run it in ASAP. [laugh]

You drove more than a taxi driver's 1 day quota on the 1st day of new car collection. Must be excited but tired end of the day. 800+ km can reach Cameron Highland.

I bot few times fr AD, usu give half tank. N mine is bnb car.

Last thing I thought was the fuel amount - I got only 1/2 empty or rather 1/2 full only- so got shortchanged by about $50/- by AD or salesperson [sweatdrop]

You drove more than a taxi driver's 1 day quota on the 1st day of new car collection. Must be excited but tired end of the day. 800+ km can reach Cameron Highland.

what Cameron Highlands ?, Penang (about 700+ km) also pass lo.........800+ km reach Kuala Perlis liao lor, just need to take ferry to Langkawi for holidays. [laugh]

Turbocharged

Ya. Very tiring cos local traffic cannot go fast. The highest I ever clocked in a day is more than 1000 km in MY. Also very tired. The whole body is like casted into the seat.

• Praise 1

never let attendant pump for u

anyone who does so, does not deserve to drive

u dont let others pump your wife/gf right [knife]

Edited by Furrynadz
  • Praise 1

That means, u not only break in the engine, u break in yourself to the car...haha

ensure all ur parts sit in nicely.... [laugh] joke only...

Ya. Very tiring cos local traffic cannot go fast. The highest I ever clocked in a day is more than 1000 km in MY. Also very tired. The whole body is like casted into the seat.

• Praise 5

Er yes...

So what - your suggestion is to use the car as little as possible during warranty period?

What I am suggesting is actually about three fold

1. Brand new car, fun to drive, spoil yourself by taking it out for a spin

2. Is good to get the first couple of hundred KM out of the way as soon as possible - if there was a "problem" present with the car AT delivery, wouldn't it be good to get that to show up immediately by doing a few hundred KM first?

3. Is a good idea to get the "feel" of a new car and experience behind the wheel ASAP.

Actually, if I really got time - in my first month of ownership I would take car up to KL and back to help to break in engine, see how everything goes and just for the pure fun of driving a new car.

I drove my previous vios back to kl when the odo reads 700+ only... By the time I came back for the first 1k service, already clocked more than 1700km...and I don't do slow drive hor...Whack all the way till 160kmh Hehehe..

• Praise 1

Bigger question should be...touran omv is like lambo ah? How come an engine replacement can cost 28k.

Engine + fuel lines with labour at dealer rates? Easy to believe
  • Praise 2

Bigger question should be...touran omv is like lambo ah? How come an engine replacement can cost 28k

ADs like to mark up things like duno whose biz liddat.

Some of the brothers here know that if you get original parts from stockist or direct importers and then engage professional outside to fix for you. It will always be way cheaper than you ask AD to do it for you.

• Praise 1

Bigger question should be...touran omv is like lambo ah? How come an engine replacement can cost 28k.

VW says Engine $19k, Fuel system $9k.

That's very expensive. Think for USD 20k can buy a brand new car in US. And that is already including govt taxes and dealership profit.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6