"Brand New" VW touran $28K repair bill.

Keithchue

VW says Engine $19k, Fuel system $9k.

That's very expensive. Think for USD 20k can buy a brand new car in US. And that is already including govt taxes and dealership profit.

but owner oso llst, if he go outside repair, VW will surely void his warranty.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

What a coincidence. VW SE called me yesterday to follow up on my test drive of the Touran diesel 2 weekends ago.... I said I've decided not to get that car.

Guess they haven't managed to sell all the 50 units (all models) allocated to their year end sale.

• Praise 3

That's very expensive. Think for USD 20k can buy a brand new car in US. And that is already including govt taxes and dealership profit.

You got to see the man hours being put into removing the damaged engine and fuel system. And dan installing the new ones in. The man hours to purge the diesel that was claimed to be tainted with water and also the man hours to do testing. Buy new it's all done in the assembly line with all the facilities and tools ready for the job. No need to uninstall anything.

Ppl like you always only look at the one side of things, the price and nothing else. Those ppl doing the hard work aren't transparent you know. And they dun come free of charge.

If you want to compare, open a workshop with the same facilities, tools, equipment and manpower. See how much you charge for the same job. Dan you compare.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 7

AD might said that... fuel tank also need to change...CONTAMINATED WITH H2O! [grin]

• Praise 1

Maybe "cheaper" to scrap the blardy car and get back the residual value; get a new one and move on???

Definitely will loose $$$ for sure, but bearing in mind, the repair is going to take some time and that owner is going to have memorable memories with this car..........

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

You got to see the man hours being put into removing the damaged engine and fuel system. And dan installing the new ones in. The man hours to purge the diesel that was claimed to be tainted with water and also the man hours to do testing. Buy new it's all done in the assembly line with all the facilities and tools ready for the job. No need to uninstall anything.

Ppl like you always only look at the one side of things, the price and nothing else. Those ppl doing the hard work aren't transparent you know. And they dun come free of charge.

If you want to compare, open a workshop with the same facilities, tools, equipment and manpower. See how much you charge for the same job. Dan you compare.

Completely agree. There are backend people who are getting the job done.

Maybe "cheaper" to scrap the blardy car and get back the residual value; get a new one and move on???

Definitely will loose $$$ for sure, but bearing in mind, the repair is going to take some time and that owner is going to have memorable memories with this car..........

you may be actually right on this,.... guess owner needs to do his/her sums

same for many other things lah

example petrol, crude oil down 50% petrol must down 50%

if not oil companies are cheating our money

:D

Guess they haven't managed to sell all the 50 units (all models) allocated to their year end sale.

Maybe you can tell them you will consider if their service didn't suck

Edited by Mockngbrd

I sympathise with the car owner. Just stay away from VW.....

The question is whether it is only confined to VW only? How about other similar Diesel cars from other makes? E.g. Jaguar, Volvo ?

• Praise 1

ADs like to mark up things like duno whose biz liddat.

Some of the brothers here know that if you get original parts from stockist or direct importers and then engage professional outside to fix for you. It will always be way cheaper than you ask AD to do it for you.

GST alone would be about $1800 + already -IRAS happy

• Praise 1

Completely agree. There are backend people who are getting the job done.

The guy said he bought the tulan and didn’t meddle with the fuel system except to top up fuel.

So, how did water get into the fuel tank? Nobody (buyer, AD, petrol company) admit their fault.

What if indeed there was water in the tank even before collection of the car or some defect causes water to enter the fuel tank.

AD still want to talk about labour cost to restore the car to driving condition? AD still ask for full price of $28K?

Pity the buyer. The buy is as sour as a star lemon.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

So, how did water get into the fuel tank? Nobody (buyer, AD, petrol company) admit their fault.

What if indeed there was water in the tank even before collection of the car or some defect causes water to enter the fuel tank.

Pity the buyer. The buy is as sour as a star lemon.

as you said, the fault is whose has not been established;

so why blame the AD?

Understand the excitement of driving a new car

But I found that because of unfamiliarity of the car when new, it's quite dangerous to drive esp for long trips

I started enjoying the drive when I became more familiar with the new car features and I can concentrate on the drive

Anyway whatever floats your boat

😀

That's exactly the point ma. Drive long to get used to it.

Hmm, modern diesel cars should have dashboard warning light to indicate water found in diesel. The touran TDI should have too.

I have also read that water can condense in the fuel tanks and especially diesel engines is best to have near to full tanks when weather is cold, and when vehicle is left untouched for a long time in this case. As we know, new cars often do not have full tank fuel (don't understand why the new car distributors/dealers so niao on the fuel), so it could be this touran, sitting in the showroom for so long, due to low fuel in the tank, has condensation going on for a long time liao.

Ok found this post that explains

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/341991-water-diesel-warning-light.html

Any space in the fuel tank above the fuel level will be air. This will contain moisture, as does the air around us. When the temperature is cold, the moisture condenses on the sides of the tank, and drains down into the fuel. The fuel rises above the water, so some water is drawn forward to the filter, which is designed to separate it out.

Ideally, all diesel vehicles should have their tank filled to the brim before every cold night. Bus companies are good at this, as they have the facilities and routines. Many large hauliers can do so too, but a pain to individual vehicle owners.

• Praise 1

seen workshop flushing fuel system of an old Jap van due to contaiminated diesel and the cost is few hundred...

but now, this tulan car have to replace whole engine +fuel system for the same reason? and reason given was the water content in diesel exceeded youlaw V sister smoking standard?

So can i say that its still better to get an old Japs van rather than getting a tulan car manufactured by some tulan company? Or continue to sarpork them just because they r design n built by some Germs?

I seriously dunno what those Germs trying to do, with so much negative new on their product, they still try to create more? If I were them, while pushing the blame to the cartel, I will quicky replace another vehicle and close the case. That will win the customer over and built up their reputation.

Well, of course, I know im asking for too much to expect a germs to think .... afterall, germs doesnt have brain at all...

anyway, no tulan car for me, no germs made car for me as well... with the way they taichi, will never touch their product unless its free...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1