Big Box Retail Warehouse Opens in Jurong East Today

Boringchap

Big Box opened today! Yes, today, 27 Dec 2014.

Big Box is a warehouse retail mall, located very near to Jurong East MRT station.

We decided to go check it out. It was crowded! True to its name, it felt like a huge warehouse. The most interesting was the hypermarket on the ground floor, selling goods in a warehouse concept.

Were the stuff sold at the hypermarket cheap? Not really. Some things seem a bit cheaper than say NTUC, but overall the prices were comparable. But I could be wrong. We didn't spend a lot of time in the hypermarket.

There was also huge space devoted to the sale of furniture on the 2nd the 3rd floor. It felt like Big Box wanted to compete directly with the likes of Ikea in this respect.

This was the first day of opening and things were still a bit messy. Still, this place is an interesting addition to the retail scene.

Check out the video.

http://youtu.be/cdulBMKBLlE

Edited by Boringchap
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

park at Science Centre and walk over. :D

Peak hours always avoid Jurong Town Hall Rd.

I don't dare to drive to Jurang East thesedays.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

went there earlier too.....

they sell tires and rim off the shelf too!!!

item from tyre queen which some of you ban due to xiaxue LOL....

quite messy, think they rush to open shop....

a lot of item no price tag....

• Praise 3

I was there earlier this morning.

Free parking as the carpark gantries are not up yet. Can park there and walk over to Jems.

Prices not that fantastic, but it will be cheaper if you buy 2 or more. They also sell rims and tyres.

• Praise 1

Big Box opened today! Yes, today, 27 Dec 2014.

Big Box is a warehouse retail mall, located very near to Jurong East MRT station.

We decided to go check it out. It was crowded! True to its name, it felt like a huge warehouse. The most interesting was the hypermarket on the ground floor, selling goods in a warehouse concept.

Were the stuff sold at the hypermarket cheap? Not really. Some things seem a bit cheaper than say NTUC, but overall the prices were comparable. But I could be wrong. We didn't spend a lot of time in the hypermarket.

There was also huge space devoted to the sale of furniture on the 2nd the 3rd floor. It felt like Big Box wanted to compete directly with the likes of Ikea in this respect.

This was the first day of opening and things were still a bit messy. Still, this place is an interesting addition to the retail scene.

Check out the video.

http://youtu.be/cdulBMKBLlE

Can see the prices not that cheap wor....

Everyone will be asking, is it cheap enough or simply they make you think they are selling cheap like a real warehouse but is not.?

Knowing how controlled retail pricing is in Sg, I don't think it will be "very cheap"

• Praise 1

remind me of costco when i was holidaying in usa

i didn't know that costco only sell to registered member ... wasted 2 hours of my shopping time ... lol

in usa wholesale or warehouse sale the price is really CHEAP ...

but must buy in bulk like minimum 1 carton or 1 box ... seldom got loose pack

in spore ... who going to buy in carton and boxes like 1 BOX of chicken wings like 40-50 wings?

Costco-tips-weight-loss-nutrition.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

I was there earlier this morning.

Free parking as the carpark gantries are not up yet. Can park there and walk over to Jems.

Prices not that fantastic, but it will be cheaper if you buy 2 or more. They also sell rims and tyres.

Feel like going over there to look see tomorrow.

How was the parking there?

for those who want to know the company . . .

http://business.asiaone.com/news/tti-counting-big-box-mall-revive-its-fortunes

--- Apr 14 report . . . . .

SINGAPORE - A local firm that has been struggling since the 2008 financial crisis is pinning its hopes of a turnaround on the upcoming Big Box mall in Jurong.

TT International (TTI), which is still under a scheme of arrangement hammered out with creditors in 2010, announced last month that the $320 million complex will open in December.

The 1.3 million sq ft project, TTI's first mall here, must achieve an annual turnover of at least $200 million within the next five years under the Economic Development Board's warehouse retail scheme.

Introduced in 2004, the scheme allows industrial land to be used for retail and warehousing.

Malls by Ikea, Courts and Giant, all in Tampines, were built under the scheme.

TTI said it also intends to expand its retail operations and its sourcing and brand management services and grow its franchisee and home-brand retail stores across Asia to more than 300 stores within five years.

The furniture and furnishings arm F&F, which manages brands such as Novena, Barang Barang and Castilla, will be further developed as well, as will TTA Holdings.

This is an Australia-based and -listed subsidiary 86 per cent owned by TTI.

TTI also signed a 15-year master franchise agreement with French furniture manufacturer Habitat last month.

This involves opening eight stores over three years in Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia and Brunei.

The first store will open in Big Box.

Executive director Julia Tong told a briefing yesterday that TTI intends to export the Big Box model through partnerships and joint ventures.

TTI may also list its Indonesian subsidiary PT ES, which operates 56 stores in the country.

The firm entered a debt standstill agreement with its creditors to undergo debt restructuring in October 2008.

This was followed by a scheme of arrangement sanctioned by the Singapore High Court in October 2010.

The 2008 crisis hit TTI hard.

Annual sales have been cut by half to about $400 million and headcount initially dropped from more than 4,000 to 2,000 by 2012, although it has risen slightly.

The company recorded a 18.5 per cent drop in revenue to $75.8 million in the quarter ended Dec 31 last year, from $93 million for the same period a year earlier.

Net loss for the same period widened by more than 810 per cent to $3.2 million from $354,000, due mostly to "unrealised foreign exchange losses" amounting to $2.4 million.

• Praise 1

park at Science Centre and walk over. :D

Peak hours always avoid Jurong Town Hall Rd.

Can also park at the hdb open carpark next to the church, then walk over.

Save all the hassle of queuing and all the aggro. Can get some exercise too.

• Praise 1

remind me of costco when i was holidaying in usa

i didn't know that costco only sell to registered member ... wasted 2 hours of my shopping time ... lol

in usa wholesale or warehouse sale the price is really CHEAP ...

but must buy in bulk like minimum 1 carton or 1 box ... seldom got loose pack

in spore ... who going to buy in carton and boxes like 1 BOX of chicken wings like 40-50 wings?

Costco-tips-weight-loss-nutrition.jpg

You are right think the Hypermart is following Costco format, will appeal to hawkers or some eateries or even provision shop owners.

↡ Advertisement