What coolant did you use

Kippei

As subject. when i went to hyundai stockist, i am surprised they never carry oem coolant. Now using prestone, but i prefer something more for asian cars.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

As subject. when i went to hyundai stockist, i am surprised they never carry oem coolant. Now using prestone, but i prefer something more for asian cars.

Coolant is pretty universal. I see a lot of workshops use Mitsubishi's longlife coolant. Usually Japanese brands the coolant has an oily film in the coolant's content to prevent from corrosion to the radiator, oxidation or to prevent loosing too much water content. Greenish in colour I think.

• Praise 2

Just go to NTUC (Fairprice, not the insurance company) and buy bottled distilled water. We don't need coolant in our climate... our coolant won't freeze.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 2

I am also trying to get the concentrated version. 50/50 is hard to ratio if I do draining.

Premixed 70/30 ratio coolant best for local use. We dun hv winter. Don't need 50% coolant.

• Praise 2

Humans got asian, cars got no such thing as asian lah.

:D

• Praise 1

Just go to NTUC (Fairprice, not the insurance company) and buy bottled distilled water. We don't need coolant in our climate... our coolant won't freeze.

Bro Detach8, u are right. Straight water is the best for Singapore climate. However, putting in some coolant won't be beneficial for lubricating the water pump and to prevent rust. 70/30 coolant is my take.

• Praise 2

Most people add coolant because it's ANTI-FREEZE. ANTI-RUST is a different thing. If you want, just mix some. You don't have to be precise... just pour maybe 20/80 or 30/70... and you are done.

The Toyota one is not bad.

But you really don't have to be anal... if you're LOW on coolant just top up with distilled water.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 2

I'm at this junction before. To choose between Toyota or Mitsubishi. Both are good. I pick Mitsubishi cos its Made In Japan. Where else Toyota Thai made.

• Praise 5

Coz now the current one Prestone have 2eha compound inside which eat head gasket and seal. So i need to get it changed before it cause any more problem.

• Praise 1

when you all change coolant, do you all try to remove the air or just drain and then just top up?

Drain out old coolant.

Flush with tap water.

Refill with coolant till full in radiator and plastic reservoir.

Start engine let it run

top up radiator and reservoir as coolant fills up engine block

run engine for a while till air in the system fully purge

Top up coolant to max when required.

• Praise 6

when you all change coolant, do you all try to remove the air or just drain and then just top up?

Just like after feeding a baby you need to burp the system.

:D

• Praise 1

Best is pre-mixed.

Else use distilled water and add coolant.

The coolant / water ratio will depends on what is the overall expected temperature.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3