Scrap PSLE. what do you think?

Jiayong

Yes. Should have been scrapped long ago. There is absolutely no need to stress out 12 year olds. Some are late boomers and should have the time to develop.

• Praise 8

Scrap the PSLE then how to decide which child goes to which secondary school leh ?

Same way as for primbary school...

I never had ANY exams till I was in Sec 2...and even then it was only to "practise" for our equivalent of O level

12 is way to young to be having an exam that is meant to be the "most important" till reach uni

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Same way as for primbary school...

I never had ANY exams till I was in Sec 2...and even then it was only to "practise" for our equivalent of O level

12 is way to young to be having an exam that is meant to be the "most important" till reach uni

You mean in NZ ?

You mean in NZ ?

Yep....

We always just went to the nearest school...

Exams weren't a thing like they are here...

• Praise 4

The nearest! If you don't have PSLE exams, then there's no need to fret who goes where. This is when every school is a good school.

This shows that we are still ingrained into this PSLE thingy. We just can't think out of the box.

I have a colleague who is very worried that they will scrap PSLE, worrying about "how then secondary school?" So, you see, even if government want to scrap, also cannot liao. [laugh]

Scrap the PSLE then how to decide which child goes to which secondary school leh ?

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

The nearest! If you don't have PSLE exams, then there's no need to fret who goes where. This is when every school is a good school.

Good idea. [thumbsup]

scrap primary school lah

nowadays tuition is so pervasive that children don't go to schools to study anymore

:D

• Praise 2

Supercharged

I have a colleague who is very worried that they will scrap PSLE, worrying about "how then secondary school?" So, you see, even if government want to scrap, also cannot liao. [laugh]

Maybe his kid is the bright type so can get into elite secondary school, so he worries... [laugh]

Yep....

We always just went to the nearest school...

Exams weren't a thing like they are here...

This should be the way. Parents dun have to drive their kids to "good" schools and cause traffic congestion hence reduce peak hour ERP. Students assign to the nearest schools, no more balloting, no more parent volunteers to clock how many slave hours. Everyone happy.

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged

But scrap already then people will still remember which schools were good. All the parents will rush to live near the secondary schools which are considered good now.

This shows that we are still ingrained into this PSLE thingy. We just can't think out of the box.

It won't be scrapped.

In fact, they may start adding another exam in Pri 3. [laugh]

Sg school system has always been about putting students into little bins as young as possible.

Examinations has always been the way.

You're no good in science or you're no good in technical --> you go here or there

• Praise 1

I kena the first batch of Primary 3 streaming. Think, it is no longer officially practiced now, but many schools practice unofficial streaming at Primary 2 now. [laugh]

So, I think even if they scrap PSLE, there's some unofficial grading (categorization) of each and every students too. [rolleyes]

It won't be scrapped.

In fact, they may start adding another exam in Pri 3. [laugh]

Sg school system has always been about putting students into little bins as young as possible.

Examinations has always been the way.

You're no good in science or you're no good in technical --> you go here or there

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

But scrap already then people will still remember which schools were good. All the parents will rush to live near the secondary schools which are considered good now.

Yes - this is true - "good" school districts will be supported by higher property prices - so what to do?

Give more govt support to the "bad" schools - extra teachers, more funding, etc etc -

It can be done, just a matter of whether you want to.

The system won't be perfect, but I would be willing to bet that if you do this, 5 or 10 years later, schools will be much more evenly distributed.

At the same time can introduce a private school system (as distinct from govt schools)

Private schools get no (or maybe lesser) govt funding - but they are free to set their own admission policies, so if parents are willing to pay, can bypass distance requirements

I kena the first batch of Primary 3 streaming. Think, it is no longer officially practiced now, but many schools practice unofficial streaming at Primary 2 now. [laugh]

So, I think even if they scrap PSLE, there's some unofficial grading (categorization) of each and every students too. [rolleyes]

Yes...

dotter school does their own streaming at the end of P2...

and then again at end of P4

↡ Advertisement