Taxi driver fined $4,000 & banned 3 years from driving..

Iseedeadpple

I've never understood why anyone will sit on roadside kerbs. It's so dangerous and things like this can happen to you. Are they really so unaware of the potential dangers?

=======

Taxi driver fined $4,000 and banned from the road after reversing into student By Elena Chong

SINGAPORE - An elderly taxi driver who reversed into a student and pinned her under his car was fined $4,000 and banned from driving for three years on Monday.

Thow Ngok Sen, 69, had been performing a u-turn when he changed his mind and reversed, and backed into 22-year-old Ms Abigail Ow Hui Xia who had been sitting on a kerb at a Bishan bus stop with her boyfriend.

He mounted the kerb and ran into her as she tried to get out of the way, knocking her over. A passer-by told Thow to move his cab forward to free her but his tyre ran over her thigh.

Ms Ow spent two months in hospital for spinal injuries and fractures to her pelvic area and now cannot walk unaided.

↡ Advertisement

when the news say ban for driving 3 yrs.. does he get revoke too?

69yo get back taxi driver license would be difficult i suppose..

quite a heavy sentence i'll say..

considering the fact that why would one be sitting by the road..

Edited by Knoobie

69yo get back taxi driver license would be difficult i suppose..

quite a heavy sentence i'll say..

considering the fact that why would one be sitting by the road..

Banned from the road means he cannot drive forever but ban 3.5 years?

I also dun understand why people like to sit at the kerb also....if he reverse in Tuas area at night I think

more jialat.

When reversing able to see a girl sitting on the kerb easily ? I dont think so.

Really sway for both parties.

Yeah, but I think taxi uncle more suay man... how to see girl sitting on kerb?

In the OP it says he

He mounted the kerb and ran into her as she tried to get out of the way
so that makes it sound a little more like blame is on him.

And this was at a bus stop?

Hmmmm....

Given these two items, think that it sounds like the driver was rather careless....it's not like he ran over her toes while she was sitting somewhere...

sorry- it seems like I'm double posting for some unknown reason....

The internets must want me to talk loud loud today...

Edited by Darryn

Banned from the road means he cannot drive forever but ban 3.5 years?

I also dun understand why people like to sit at the kerb also....if he reverse in Tuas area at night I think

more jialat.

Many foreign workers does that all the time. Bangladeshis, Indians, PRC workers. One fine day something similar is going to happen again.

can someone draw picture of how this happen?? :huh:

"had been performing a u-turn when he changed his mind and reversed, and backed into 22-year-old"

Turbocharged

Any suspension that's 1 year or more, automatically revoke the driving license. Meaning will have to go back square one learn basic theory, practical, blah blah.

Taxi driver is old man.

May be hard of hearing and seeing.

Young people like to sit on the kerb as if they're unbreakable.

Then there's plenty of pedestrians who jaywalks, regardless pedestrian crossing.

When you try to reverse park, everyone, including pedestrians, bikers, motorcyclist, dogs and cats will go behind you, bcuz they can't wait.

That's how accidents happen.

• Praise 4

Any suspension that's 1 year or more, automatically revoke the driving license. Meaning will have to go back square one learn basic theory, practical, blah blah.

the way the news put it... like macam got exemption?

which taxi model?

no reverse sensors? I know the old Toyota Crowns don't have...

seems like only in Singapore, reverse sensor is being depended on too much..

some times reverse sensor also give false alarms anyway..

taxi driver most suay I would say..

why was she stiing on the kerb!?

I've never understood why anyone will sit on roadside kerbs. It's so dangerous and things like this can happen to you. Are they really so unaware of the potential dangers?

=======

Taxi driver fined $4,000 and banned from the road after reversing into student By Elena Chong

SINGAPORE - An elderly taxi driver who reversed into a student and pinned her under his car was fined $4,000 and banned from driving for three years on Monday.

Thow Ngok Sen, 69, had been performing a u-turn when he changed his mind and reversed, and backed into 22-year-old Ms Abigail Ow Hui Xia who had been sitting on a kerb at a Bishan bus stop with her boyfriend.

He mounted the kerb and ran into her as she tried to get out of the way, knocking her over. A passer-by told Thow to move his cab forward to free her but his tyre ran over her thigh.

Ms Ow spent two months in hospital for spinal injuries and fractures to her pelvic area and now cannot walk unaided.

why was she sitting on the kerb!?

Ya, why would anyone (in a reasonable state of mind) be sitting at a roadside curb? Even at parking lot, they shouldn't.

Hope she heals properly, but more importantly, hope she learns a valuable lesson.

People nowadays.. Treat their life like it's of no consequence.

As I mention many times, Singapore traffic law don't protect the driver.

We will see more accident to happen and driver being charge caused by jay walking or those electric bike dashing around.

↡ Advertisement