Cat A-Diesel MPV: Touran vs 5008 vs Scenic vs Grand Picasso

Vroomvroom

May want to upgrade to a MPV for my next ride and am considering this 4 mid-size conti diesel-powered Cat A MPV which I have viewed them all but couldnt made up my mind.

Reason for going Diesel is because I figured out over a distance of 100k km, the saving in pump cost is much greater as compared to the higher road tax which I may have to pay for a diesel-powered 1.6L MPV (making comparison with mid-size petrol powered MPV like Wish/Mazda 5). Furthermore, driving up North is something which i seldom do.

Based on personal observation, Touran is the one which i spotted most often on the roads (though they may be the petrol variant and not neccessary the diesel variant)

Any views from current owners or anyone who has an opinion?

I'm trying to guess which MPV is the best value for money or best bang for bucks over a period of say 8yrs.

Edited by Deeq
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

May want to upgrade to a MPV for my next ride and am considering this 4 mid-size conti diesel-powered Cat A MPV which I have viewed them all but couldnt made up my mind.

Reason for going Diesel is because I figured out over a distance of 100k km, the saving in pump cost is much greater as compared to the higher road tax which I may have to pay for a diesel-powered 1.6L MPV (making comparison with mid-size petrol powered MPV like Wish/Mazda 5). Furthermore, driving up North is something which i seldom do.

Based on personal observation, Touran is the one which i spotted most often on the roads (though they may be the petrol variant and not neccessary the diesel variant)

I'm trying to guess which MPV is the best value for money or best bang for bucks over a period of say 8yrs.

Touran, specious interior, common in market, low maintenance compare to another 3,

VW wet clutch different from Jetta problematic one,

• Praise 1

I think it really voice down what really matters to you most.

1. price

2. space

3. ride

4. maintenance

5. appearance

I own a Scenic for almost a year but I would say not the best but for the money and goodie I got, I find best value for money among all.

Picasso is way too expensive and not forgetting you need to add the CVVS of 15k deducted and this make the car too expensive for me. I only paid 120+K for my scenic with 5years warranty and servicing with coe at 60+k.. plus plus plus. this make the best deal among those. however I can tell the ride is not good but I only car about the money. so think what you want first.

• Praise 2

If want to read some credible diesel owners review can search online. I usually read from AutoExpress uk. Some good...some not really good. LoL...

And you can tell which is the popular model in uk when is comes to the number of reviews.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/touran/reliability

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/5008/reliability

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/scenic/reliability

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/grand-c4-picasso/reliability

Edited by Watwheels

I saw a Grand Scenic break down yesterday.

oh ..touran diesel now uses wet type of DSG gb ?

I didn't know that...

My friend who owns the touran said reliability is not too awesome.

Nowadays the new touran comes with the problematic 7 DSG

some early batches of Touran came with the 6DSG but you need to look for them in the used market

my understanding may be wrong. DYODD!

:D

Nowadays the new touran comes with the problematic 7 DSG

some early batches of Touran came with the 6DSG but you need to look for them in the used market

my understanding may be wrong. DYODD!

Im in the opinion by now Volkswagen should have resolve the 7DSG problem. at least for those YOM in 2014 onwards perhaps?

Otherwise, how are they going to survive in the market selling cars with major fault?

just a thought.

I would think cost of ownership of a diesel is not as cheap as one think it is.

I fear that the govt can change the special tax any time just like what they did with cng. Also Diesel engine have particulate filters and these are extra maintenance items. The high pressure injection pumps will also be pricey to fix. Also not to mention that all these are European and the less popular diesel models. So parts supply will also be an issue for me. I can't afford to have down time to wait for parts.

• Praise 1

agreed ..they can change it according to their whims and fancies , and nothing we can do about it, even crystal ball also cannot predict .. so better to stick to petrol version

for a 4.3m long touran , space certainly is good [thumbsup][thumbsup]

I fear that the govt can change the special tax any time just like what they did with cng. Also Diesel engine have particulate filters and these are extra maintenance items. The high pressure injection pumps will also be pricey to fix. Also not to mention that all these are European and the less popular diesel models. So parts supply will also be an issue for me. I can't afford to have down time to wait for parts.

1. price

2. space

3. ride

4. maintenance

5. appearance

I own a Scenic for almost a year but I would say not the best but for the money and goodie I got, I find best value for money among all.

Picasso is way too expensive and not forgetting you need to add the CVVS of 15k deducted and this make the car too expensive for me. I only paid 120+K for my scenic with 5years warranty and servicing with coe at 60+k.. plus plus plus. this make the best deal among those. however I can tell the ride is not good but I only car about the money. so think what you want first.

They seems equally important but if i have to rank them, i will put it down as (1 being most impt, 5 being least impt)

1. Maintenance (deem most important perhaps. Which car likely to have least running cost perhaps over a period of 8 yrs?)

2. Space (With 3 young kids and at times parents)

3. Price (All the 4 in my comparison list are within my budget)

4. Appearance (Good to have but who cares? Its more about the badge i feel and those in my list has no badge to talk about i reckon? )

5. Ride (As long it can moves)

• Praise 1

I fear that the govt can change the special tax any time just like what they did with cng. Also Diesel engine have particulate filters and these are extra maintenance items. The high pressure injection pumps will also be pricey to fix. Also not to mention that all these are European and the less popular diesel models. So parts supply will also be an issue for me. I can't afford to have down time to wait.

Diesel is different from CNG. CNG fails because it is so inconvenient with limited pump station and you need to install cng tank in your car, heavy and take up space. Diesel you can get anywhere and taxi have been running on diesel for decades.. so I don't think maintenance is a problem. every month I save hundreds of dollar with diesel. generally such mpv is 2liter for petrol so actually diesel 1.5 is paying same road tax as petrol 2 liter so I don't consider as paying more for road tax for diesel.

point noted. thanks for view.

They seems equally important but if i have to rank them, i will put it down as (1 being most impt, 5 being least impt)

1. Maintenance (deem most important perhaps. Which car likely to have least running cost perhaps over a period of 8 yrs?)

4. Appearance (Good to have but who cares? Its more about the badge i feel and those in my list has no badge to talk about i reckon? )

from your feedback I would have come to below conclusion.

<get 5yr warranty and service from AD. after 5years they are all conti so servicing about the same la>

<then I think picaso and touran better space>

<but which is the lowest? I think now touran probably the lowest>

<well, VW still more ppl hear about it.>

<tough>

conclusion you should go for touran or picaso which are more spacious

you better consider the big size MPVs with 3 young kids and parents to lug around

more space and power

Neutral Newbie

1. price

2. space

3. ride

4. maintenance

5. appearance

I am eyeing the scenic overall quite impressed can share more why the ride no good any maintenance issue my fren had a kangoo was a nightmare...for the other 3 car gearbox seem to be an issue