Cat A-Diesel MPV: Touran vs 5008 vs Scenic vs Grand Picasso

Vroomvroom

I am eyeing the scenic overall quite impressed can share more why the ride no good any maintenance issue my fren had a kangoo was a nightmare...for the other 3 car gearbox seem to be an issue

the body roll quite bad if you corner. and when go over hump quite bumpy, maybe hard suspension. seat not so comfortable, cant push the car hard it wont listen to you,, it just go slow and steady so over taking a problem.. then go over hump the body twist and got squeaking sound, but that doesn't mean the quality is not good but rather it flex more. ECG gear box tends to down shift.. my previous ride is wish so every different lor..as for servicing yet to go in for my first service ..but the service seems good as I call the customer service very nice and polite. so again if not cheapest among I wont get it...and these problem I can accomodate

Edited by Heman75
  • Praise 1

you better consider the big size MPVs with 3 young kids and parents to lug around

more space and power

:D

I did consider Estima, but i reckon its way too thristy and most of the time, it wont be full-capacity so like not maximizing the use of it.

A mid-size MPV should suffice.

I did consider Estima, but i reckon its way too thristy and most of the time, it wont be full-capacity so like not maximizing the use of it.

A mid-size MPV should suffice.

have you consider the new Honda mobilio.. seems to address to all your requirements.

have you consider the new Honda mobilio.. seems to address to all your requirements.

Saw it and dont like it. Car is a big ticket item, minimally you cannot detest it.

• Praise 1

Diesel is different from CNG. CNG fails because it is so inconvenient with limited pump station and you need to install cng tank in your car, heavy and take up space. Diesel you can get anywhere and taxi have been running on diesel for decades.. so I don't think maintenance is a problem. every month I save hundreds of dollar with diesel. generally such mpv is 2liter for petrol so actually diesel 1.5 is paying same road tax as petrol 2 liter so I don't consider as paying more for road tax for diesel.

The reason why CNG was finally not adopted/ successful was because the govt withdrew the tax concessions. Nothing to do with stations or the tank. It's the same with diesel. If they revert to to old taxation method you will need to drive your car like a taxi to see the savings. This is the main thing I'm talking about. The reason they cited for removing CNG tax concession was that CNG was not as green as they thought. They can easily do the same with diesel, saying that even with euro5 the particle emitted is still more than petrol. They did it with a stroke of a pen with CNG. Are you 100% sure this will never happen to diesel cars?

And for CNG you can easily revert by removing the tank and pay the tax difference. With diesel, if they revert to the old system of special taxed you are screwed big time.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

The reason why CNG was finally not adopted/ successful was because the govt withdrew the tax concessions. Nothing to do with stations or the tank. It's the same with diesel. If they revert to to old taxation method you will need to drive your car like a taxi to see the savings. This is the main thing I'm talking about. The reason they cited for removing CNG tax concession was that CNG was not as green as they thought. They can easily do the same with diesel, saying that even with euro5 the particle emitted is still more than petrol. They did it with a stroke of a pen with CNG. Are you 100% sure this will never happen to diesel cars?

And for CNG you can easily revert by removing the tank and pay the tax difference. With diesel, if they revert to the old system of special taxed you are screwed big time.

u really think CNG not as clean? HK taxi/passenger cars has been using that for ages. personally I think is an excuse only by the government because nobody uses it. the plan fail and excuse given not as clean. personally view. no one can be sure what will happen, this is Singapore. the government decide.. the more ppl buy diesel the chance is the plan will stay to show government has foresight. when no one buy the government will tell u all sort of reason it fails. if scare then don't buy.. simple.

• Praise 1

u really think CNG not as clean? HK taxi/passenger cars has been using that for ages. personally I think is an excuse only by the government because nobody uses it. the plan fail and excuse given not as clean. personally view. no one can be sure what will happen, this is Singapore. the government decide.. the more ppl buy diesel the chance is the plan will stay to show government has foresight. when no one buy the government will tell u all sort of reason it fails. if scare then don't buy.. simple.

Regardless of what I or you think. Govt can flip flop on policies. I am just warning the rest to bear in mind that policies can change and not to calculate too much on perceived savings. Things can bite you back hard in the end. If govt change then policy in diesel, then likely you will have to scrap/export. No one will buy it. This change will be worse than the CNG reversal.

What I'm saying is that if you like a diesel just buy it. Don't not rely too much on the savings, to justify the purchase.

Regardless of what I or you think. Govt can flip flop on policies. I am just warning the rest to bear in mind that policies can change and not to calculate too much on perceived savings. Things can bite you back hard in the end. If govt change then policy in diesel, then likely you will have to scrap/export. No one will buy it. This change will be worse than the CNG reversal.

What I'm saying is that if you like a diesel just buy it. Don't not rely too much on the savings, to justify the purchase

I see your point, but i can only link diesel to saving, otherwise why would one go for diesel? for the low end torque perhaps?

Fair point on govt flip flopping, it may happen, but also fair point from bro Heman75 that govt may not flip flop if more are onto it.

Thanks for sharing your views.

I also have diesel van. I know the cost to run one. Yes the diesel savings is some but maintenance is not cheap too. I do like the torque of the engine. But will never buy a diesel car due to the special tax and partly due to the lack of Japanese models here.

The number of CNG cars were not that small. Yet policy changed.

Edited by Mkl22

Nowadays the new touran comes with the problematic 7 DSG

some early batches of Touran came with the 6DSG but you need to look for them in the used market

my understanding may be wrong. DYODD!

Very true. Had the old touran (Reg in 08). Came with 6 DSG, 170BHP.

Very powerful for a 1.4L & had a lot of nifty gadgets like auto levelling & directional lights etc but not really that spacious (IMO) in the second & last row. Last row, best if not used.

That was a petrol variant though - back then they didn't have diesel.

I guess like what most bros have already said. Follow your heart & do a test drive as well to see which suits your needs!

Happy Car Hunting!

BTW Y not the Sharan? @ least in comes with sliding doors which is really useful for MPVs in tight spaces.

may flip flop on policies to leech more money from users when they see a growing market on diesel cars ..its a cash cow to them ..why not ? besides they are also pushing for less cars usage in spore ...agreeing with MKL2 , just buy if you like it , then sway sway if they really prata the policies , you wun bang balls and bang head ..

Neutral Newbie

the body roll quite bad if you corner. and when go over hump quite bumpy, maybe hard suspension. seat not so comfortable, cant push the car hard it wont listen to you,, it just go slow and steady so over taking a problem.. then go over hump the body twist and got squeaking sound, but that doesn't mean the quality is not good but rather it flex more. ECG gear box tends to down shift.. my previous ride is wish so every different lor..as for servicing yet to go in for my first service ..but the service seems good as I call the customer service very nice and polite. so again if not cheapest among I wont get it...and these problem I can accomodate

Y didnt u go for new wish then price quite close i was considering wish but the scenic design n interior feel better...but buying wish has good resale n reliability peace of mind

think sharan is much more reliable than touran ...best avoid VW for now , unless you want to make good friends with the workshop people

toyota ISIS .. parallel import has slight facelift version ...think with start/stop button

spacy and with sliding doors ..but ugly lah

• Praise 1

think sharan is much more reliable than touran ...best avoid VW for now , unless you want to make good friends with the workshop people

toyota ISIS .. parallel import has slight facelift version ...think with start/stop button

spacy and with sliding doors ..but ugly lah

Any PI to gai siao on ISIS? never thought abt this car. Come to think of it, worth considering!

suggest TS go and read through the whole MPV thread and continue there

Edited by Enye

I also have diesel van. I know the cost to run one. Yes the diesel savings is some but maintenance is not cheap too. I do like the torque of the engine. But will never buy a diesel car due to the special tax and partly due to the lack of Japanese models here.

The number of CNG cars were not that small. Yet policy changed.

Interesting point, which got me wondering if the Jap diesel tech is actually better than those of contis?

Assuming there are more choices available (incl. Jap diesel cars) come 2018 (in line with their grand plans of course). Would you buy one then?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1