Cat A-Diesel MPV: Touran vs 5008 vs Scenic vs Grand Picasso

Vroomvroom

Y didnt u go for new wish then price quite close i was considering wish but the scenic design n interior feel better...but buying wish has good resale n reliability peace of mind

Back then wish is going at 140k compared to 129k. And no goodies from Bm. Even the sales v person said Wearnes gave a very good deal and ask me quickly take. Maybe because my other car also Wearnes so they give me more stuff cos supporter ma.

u really think CNG not as clean? HK taxi/passenger cars has been using that for ages. personally I think is an excuse only by the government because nobody uses it. the plan fail and excuse given not as clean. personally view. no one can be sure what will happen, this is Singapore. the government decide.. the more ppl buy diesel the chance is the plan will stay to show government has foresight. when no one buy the government will tell u all sort of reason it fails. if scare then don't buy.. simple.

Lol. You know UK is mulling over legislation to tax diesel cars in cities?

I think in sg, concerns about the status of diesel tax is definitely something to take into consideration.

• Praise 1

Interesting point, which got me wondering if the Jap diesel tech is actually better than those of contis?

Assuming there are more choices available (incl. Jap diesel cars) come 2018 (in line with their grand plans of course). Would you buy one then?

Nothing great about jap diesels. Just that overall reliability is better. I had enough of Renault.

Diesel is different from CNG. CNG fails because it is so inconvenient with limited pump station and you need to install cng tank in your car, heavy and take up space. Diesel you can get anywhere and taxi have been running on diesel for decades.. so I don't think maintenance is a problem. every month I save hundreds of dollar with diesel. generally such mpv is 2liter for petrol so actually diesel 1.5 is paying same road tax as petrol 2 liter so I don't consider as paying more for road tax for diesel.

Yah, I agreed on the reliability for diesel.

In Germany more than 50% of new car sold are diesel.

And there are many more than 10 years old diesel car still running around.

Among the 4 car, I will pick the Grand Scenic.

Edited by Tohto

My friend's diesel toucan sounded like a taxi car whenever he drive past me. Quite noisy. I feel that the Interior very clamp esp 7 pax seated. Most irritating part is the fuel saving mode. Whenever the car comes a complete stop, and the engine will go into"sleep" mode. Then once you step on accelerator, the car will jerk forward. Quite dangerous when caught in a jam.

have you consider the new Honda mobilio.. seems to address to all your requirements.

The Mobilio interior look so cheap... very obvious is car for Indonesia where it is cheap.

With our car price, I will expect much better built.

• Praise 1

The Mobilio interior look so cheap... very obvious is car for Indonesia where it is cheap.

With our car price, I will expect much better built.

The one brought in by Kah Motor is from Thailand. India and Indonesia have their own Honda factories.

I agree the interior looks and feels cheap. But surprisingly it has a higher OMV than Mazda5 $19k+ vs $17K+, because Mazda5 being Made In Japan and with new tech engine and sliding doors should be much higher in value.

It depends on the pricing set (selling price) by manufacturer to their dealers. Probably, Honda has a higher PM. They can assemble in any country and continue to set high pricing. But as long as consumers continue to buy......

The one brought in by Kah Motor is from Thailand. India and Indonesia have their own Honda factories.

I agree the interior looks and feels cheap. But surprisingly it has a higher OMV than Mazda5 $19k+ vs $17K+, because Mazda5 being Made In Japan and with new tech engine and sliding doors should be much higher in value.

I see your point, but i can only link diesel to saving, otherwise why would one go for diesel? for the low end torque perhaps?

Savings aside ... When you have load ... Torque is important ... That's when Diesel Turbo performs best ....

There is no guarantee the government will not change the taxes for Diesel ... So you have to weigh the risk ...

I drive a VW Caddy TDi (DSG) ... Although it's not an MPV like the Touran or as Luxurious ... But it shares some similar major components ... So far, I've had no problems or what so ever ... Maybe I'm lucky ...

Diesel is also Noisy & it Vibrates a little more compared to Petrol Engines ... Just so you know, it sounds like a Taxi ... So prepare for Insults from Friends 😂

• Praise 1

TS: How are are your 3 kids? And how long do you intend to keep the MPV?

I'm asking cos i went to check out all 4, and frankly, space-wise, they are all v cramped and cannot compare with my current wish. In fact, i also included Zafira (and orlando which was just next door) and s-max in my scouting.

Note that all conti MPVs configuration is 2,3,2. Back row is 2 independent seats, so no chance of squeezing 3 there, even if small size.

If your kids are small, can still try to squeeze them into 3rd row.

Pls don't ask your parents/in-laws to try to go into 3rd row. I had minor sprain in my back when trying to get out of Zafira and Scenic 3rd row, as I needed to bend my body at some difficult angle before I could come out, but I'm 1.8m so maybe it's just me. Doesn't mean the rest are more spacious (s-max is prob a bit more spacious than the rest), but just that I took ample precaution.

Almost all the SEs told me upfront that the 3rd rows are meant only for kids. If you expect to keep the car for a long time, during which your kids are likely to grow tall, then you might need to consider a full-sized MPV.

but if you have set your eyes on the above, then grand picasso has 3rd row aircon, which might sway your decision.

is the grand Picasso able to take 7 pax and still go comfortably without stressing the engine?

3rd row can hardly accommodate adults, so that helps in limiting the weight the vehicle can take [:p]

• Praise 1

I think it really voice down what really matters to you most.

1. price

2. space

3. ride

4. maintenance

5. appearance

I own a Scenic for almost a year but I would say not the best but for the money and goodie I got, I find best value for money among all.

Picasso is way too expensive and not forgetting you need to add the CVVS of 15k deducted and this make the car too expensive for me. I only paid 120+K for my scenic with 5years warranty and servicing with coe at 60+k.. plus plus plus. this make the best deal among those. however I can tell the ride is not good but I only car about the money. so think what you want first.

but bro, what is no good about scenic?

it least the gear change is smoother then the Picasso....but Picasso got more space...

edit: ops...saw you reply in the earlier post .... thanks

Edited by Simpleonly
  • Praise 1

TS: How are are your 3 kids? And how long do you intend to keep the MPV?

I'm asking cos i went to check out all 4, and frankly, space-wise, they are all v cramped and cannot compare with my current wish. In fact, i also included Zafira (and orlando which was just next door) and s-max in my scouting.

Note that all conti MPVs configuration is 2,3,2. Back row is 2 independent seats, so no chance of squeezing 3 there, even if small size.

If your kids are small, can still try to squeeze them into 3rd row.

Pls don't ask your parents/in-laws to try to go into 3rd row. I had minor sprain in my back when trying to get out of Zafira and Scenic 3rd row, as I needed to bend my body at some difficult angle before I could come out, but I'm 1.8m so maybe it's just me. Doesn't mean the rest are more spacious (s-max is prob a bit more spacious than the rest), but just that I took ample precaution.

Almost all the SEs told me upfront that the 3rd rows are meant only for kids. If you expect to keep the car for a long time, during which your kids are likely to grow tall, then you might need to consider a full-sized MPV.

but if you have set your eyes on the above, then grand picasso has 3rd row aircon, which might sway your decision.

3rd row can hardly accommodate adults, so that helps in limiting the weight the vehicle can take [:p]

my kids are all still young. All still in childcare. I agreed that mid size MPV has not much space to talk about but it won't be often as well for me to use the 3rd row (still a family of 5 afterall). I just thought the idea of 7 seaters gives one abit more flexibility when there is need for it. As most of the time the car will not be full-capacity, that's why I don't intend to go for full size MPV as the idea of lugging ard a monster veh (which also have a by appetite to drink) with just 1 driver doesn't quite make sense to me.

thanks for sharing your views. Much appreciated.

↡ Advertisement