I'm a nurse. Ask me anything about nursing

Philipkee

Better return to Nursing topic:

Must ask @philipkee:

What to watch out for if need to take care of dementia patient?

the patient now in the early stage only. The family not well-off, and in fact, the family is not closed to the patient... hopefully now will not leave him in the lurch.

Also, does dementia tend to run in the family? What's the best way to check and detect dementia for the elderly?

my late father had Alzheimer.....was okay for an 83 yrs old. He had a fall and was sent to tge hospital. Given medication for his alzheimer but dementia set in. Last he was diagnosed with lung cancer stage 4. Last month before he passed on he was bed-ridden andcan only remember my wife praising her and such. 6 month after his 1st visit to the doctor he passed on. We felt somewhat relieved as we didnt want to see him suffer anymore. Some will suffer for yrs losing their faculties slowly throughout their ordeal.

reminded me when I first time did the IV on my buddy ........ hahaha just saw a fountain of blood ooze out .

:secret-laugh:

i think if i was your buddy i would resigned from my ns....
  • Praise 1

Better return to Nursing topic:

Must ask @philipkee:

What to watch out for if need to take care of dementia patient?

the patient now in the early stage only. The family not well-off, and in fact, the family is not closed to the patient... hopefully now will not leave him in the lurch.

Also, does dementia tend to run in the family? What's the best way to check and detect dementia for the elderly?

https://www.healthhub.sg/live-healthy/498/warningsignsof_dementia

Hi. Just some info here. In addition

1) Dementia is not likely to be inherited though it can happen. Just be aware and stay active mentally

2) keep engaging the dementia patient mentally. The worst thing can happen is if the family withdraw from the patient.

3) when caring for them make sure they don't fall cos usually these people are old and fragile and any injury will make things worse. Especially if they become bedbound after that.

4) needless to say make sure they take all their medications esp if they have other illnesses cos while focusing on dementia they end up dying of high blood sugar, for example

5) lastly but this is more when you see the doctor is make sure the doctor has confirmed it is dementia and not rush into the diagnosis cos it is possible for the patient to have another disease but the doctor just brushes it off as dementia.

Singapore might be money minded and profit oriented but poor people are not left in the lurge. Just be upfront with the MSW and the means testing. And request for C class (and not because of face seek B2 and above).

But it will definitely be a challenge for the family so they have to be strong also.

• Praise 6

My experience.

When I was doing my full time advanced diploma in nursing, I had reservist call up also. I applied for deferment since my course is full time.

When working there is no issue. Go for reservist. The hospital will not hold you back from reservist training. From my experience they even let me go even though I was still on probation (changed jobs).

Hope this helps.

hi @​Philipkee, thank you for your fast reply. appreciated greatly!

reminded me when I first time did the IV on my buddy ........ hahaha just saw a fountain of blood ooze out . 

:secret-laugh:

Oorh... so you're one of them. I hope you were not among the 3 who poked me (my hands, specifically) without success all those years ago...

:a-m1524:

• Praise 2

my late father had Alzheimer.....was okay for an 83 yrs old. He had a fall and was sent to tge hospital. Given medication for his alzheimer but dementia set in. Last he was diagnosed with lung cancer stage 4. Last month before he passed on he was bed-ridden andcan only remember my wife praising her and such. 6 month after his 1st visit to the doctor he passed on. We felt somewhat relieved as we didnt want to see him suffer anymore. Some will suffer for yrs losing their faculties slowly throughout their ordeal.

sigh... yah, grow old sure got lots of problems setting in... 

my grandma lived to ripe old age and passed away 2 yr ago. She was considered incredibly lucky and healthy as she didn't have any of the common illnesses (high BP, dementia, alzheimer, parkinson, diabetes, etc.) associated with old age, but in her final few years, she had skin cancer and required radiotherapy, plus of course those regular GP visits. As my father and his siblings were already quite elderly themselves (mid 60s to early 80s), a few of us grandchildren had to step in and help.

Although it wasn't a full-time job, the occasional (we took turns) 'duty' was already quite a strain, especially on the 2 occasions when she was hospitalised - visited her after work daily...

Now it's my eldest uncle who has early dementia. I'm not likely to be too involved - hopefully my cousins (his children) will manage it well - but just want to find out more about people who suffered from it.

• Praise 2

sigh... yah, grow old sure got lots of problems setting in...

my grandma lived to ripe old age and passed away 2 yr ago. She was considered incredibly lucky and healthy as she didn't have any of the common illnesses (high BP, dementia, alzheimer, parkinson, diabetes, etc.) associated with old age, but in her final few years, she had skin cancer and required radiotherapy, plus of course those regular GP visits. As my father and his siblings were already quite elderly themselves (mid 60s to early 80s), a few of us grandchildren had to step in and help.

Although it wasn't a full-time job, the occasional (we took turns) 'duty' was already quite a strain, especially on the 2 occasions when she was hospitalised - visited her after work daily...

Now it's my eldest uncle who has early dementia. I'm not likely to be too involved - hopefully my cousins (his children) will manage it well - but just want to find out more about people who suffered from it.

i have left only 1 uncle from both my parent's side. Lucky my bro is on flexible working hour and my sis is single and is doing much better careerwise. If not i really wont know how to cope. Rented a bed and employed a daily male nurse for our father as that 6 month eventhough not so bad as others was quite taxing.
  • Praise 1

https://www.healthhub.sg/live-healthy/498/warningsignsof_dementia

Hi. Just some info here. In addition

1) Dementia is not likely to be inherited though it can happen. Just be aware and stay active mentally

2) keep engaging the dementia patient mentally. The worst thing can happen is if the family withdraw from the patient.

3) when caring for them make sure they don't fall cos usually these people are old and fragile and any injury will make things worse. Especially if they become bedbound after that.

4) needless to say make sure they take all their medications esp if they have other illnesses cos while focusing on dementia they end up dying of high blood sugar, for example

5) lastly but this is more when you see the doctor is make sure the doctor has confirmed it is dementia and not rush into the diagnosis cos it is possible for the patient to have another disease but the doctor just brushes it off as dementia.

Singapore might be money minded and profit oriented but poor people are not left in the lurge. Just be upfront with the MSW and the means testing. And request for C class (and not because of face seek B2 and above).

But it will definitely be a challenge for the family so they have to be strong also.

Thanks for these!

Glad to know Dementia is not inherited. It's an uncle who has just been diagnosed. He has slogged all his life caring for his family and siblings, and only just stopped work last year... Not sure if this has been directly or indirectly caused by him stopping work and got more cut off from society.

His legs have also been very weak for years now, and has been walking with a serious limp (but he laboured on). Heard he fell down twice this year, but they were not those v serious types.

Till recently - i hope it has changed since the doctor's diagnosis - family support has been almost non-existent. And that is a big concern. For the same reason, i'm not sure if my cousins had agreed to do the means testing to get more govt subsidy.

He's been in bad shape (financially) for about 5-10 yr now, but he's staying in an old (almost 30 yo) 5-rm HDB flat. Will that have any bearing on any govt subsidy when they try to apply, do you know?

He's been in bad shape (financially) for about 5-10 yr now, but he's staying in an old (almost 30 yo) 5-rm HDB flat. Will that have any bearing on any govt subsidy when they try to apply, do you know?

I assume

1) he does not have rich or highly paid immediate family members

2) he does not have a history of staying in private class for hospitalisation or appointments (b1&above)

3) obviously he must be Singaporean

4) his place of residence might have some effect on the subsidy

Further info can be found here cos there may be unique situations involving your uncle not known to you and me.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/home/costs_and_financing/schemes_subsidies/subsidies_for_government_funded_ILTC_services.html

• Praise 1

Thanks for these!

Glad to know Dementia is not inherited. It's an uncle who has just been diagnosed. He has slogged all his life caring for his family and siblings, and only just stopped work last year... Not sure if this has been directly or indirectly caused by him stopping work and got more cut off from society.

His legs have also been very weak for years now, and has been walking with a serious limp (but he laboured on). Heard he fell down twice this year, but they were not those v serious types.

Till recently - i hope it has changed since the doctor's diagnosis - family support has been almost non-existent. And that is a big concern. For the same reason, i'm not sure if my cousins had agreed to do the means testing to get more govt subsidy.

time to sell the flat and downgrade while he can..... 

I assume

1) he does not have rich or highly paid immediate family members

2) he does not have a history of staying in private class for hospitalisation or appointments (b1&above)

3) obviously he must be Singaporean

4) his place of residence might have some effect on the subsidy

Further info can be found here cos there may be unique situations involving your uncle not known to you and me.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/home/costs_and_financing/schemes_subsidies/subsidies_for_government_funded_ILTC_services.html

Thanks again. 

1) Both him and my aunt has no income (both in 80s), but i think they rented out one bedroom to workers for a few hundred dollars to pay for the bills.

Of my 2 cousins, one is doing ok and i think stays in a condo. dual income, with 2 kids.

The other one is struggling - cab driver, single income, with 2 kids, the elder just entered univ.

2) you're right. only stayed c class ward before.

3) yes, SGP'rean

4) The 5-rm flat was a choice for them when the old low-rise apartment was en-bloced almost 30 yr ago. I suspect they topped up a bit to get a 5-rm flat as HDB maybe would have given them a 4-rm flat as part of the en-bloc arrangement.

Good to know that Govt does have high subsidies for people in need - but as you said, not 100% sure about his situation. Will leave it to my cousins to sort it out...

time to sell the flat and downgrade while he can..... 

That's the first thing i told my dad during our discussions, but he was saying it's definitely going to meet stiff resistance, as the elderly mindset is still the type that no matter what, also cannot sell the house one...

sigh... think have to wait for Govt to tell them.

Thanks again. 

1) Both him and my aunt has no income (both in 80s), but i think they rented out one bedroom to workers for a few hundred dollars to pay for the bills.

Of my 2 cousins, one is doing ok and i think stays in a condo. dual income, with 2 kids.

The other one is struggling - cab driver, single income, with 2 kids, the elder just entered univ.

2) you're right. only stayed c class ward before.

3) yes, SGP'rean

4) The 5-rm flat was a choice for them when the old low-rise apartment was en-bloced almost 30 yr ago. I suspect they topped up a bit to get a 5-rm flat as HDB maybe would have given them a 4-rm flat as part of the en-bloc arrangement.

Good to know that Govt does have high subsidies for people in need - but as you said, not 100% sure about his situation. Will leave it to my cousins to sort it out...

That's the first thing i told my dad during our discussions, but he was saying it's definitely going to meet stiff resistance, as the elderly mindset is still the type that no matter what, also cannot sell the house one...

sigh... think have to wait for Govt to tell them.

the biggest worry will be the 2 children fighting over it....

beside the flat, maybe time to ask them do up a will if it has not been done... 

the biggest worry will be the 2 children fighting over it....

beside the flat, maybe time to ask them do up a will if it has not been done... 

Uh. Why be so kaypo unless it is a close uncle and he has promised the flat to you?

Uncle has 2 children - w/o a will, the flat will be split 50-50. If his cousins wanna fight then let them fight lor. By asking him to get a will, he will be putting himself in the firing line if there is really a dispute later on.

Uh. Why be so kaypo unless it is a close uncle and he has promised the flat to you?

Uncle has 2 children - w/o a will, the flat will be split 50-50. If his cousins wanna fight then let them fight lor. By asking him to get a will, he will be putting himself in the firing line if there is really a dispute later on.

maybe nephew and uncle not close does not mean nephew's father and uncle not close.... 

different strokes different folks....he wants to do or not is up to him

Supercharged

it is good to do up LPA. saved tonnes of red tape should they lose their mental capacity when that day comes. if certified mentally incapacitated, then will face some issues.

it is good to do up LPA. saved tonnes of red tape should they lose their mental capacity when that day comes. if certified mentally incapacitated, then will face some issues.

I didn't say it is not good. In fact, I have done one up as well.

But I wouldn't go kaypo in my uncle's business and worry about whether or not he has a will, whether his children are going to fight for his flat after he dies, etc.

Supercharged

Hi Philip, for MRSA colonised patient commuting on private sharing transporter.

Can you please advise the safety precautions to be taken by the patient and transport provider? Thank you very much.

I didn't say it is not good. In fact, I have done one up as well.

But I wouldn't go kaypo in my uncle's business and worry about whether or not he has a will, whether his children are going to fight for his flat after he dies, etc.

Not saying/asking you to kaypoh...just friendly advice to your cousins or anyone :)

Oorh... so you're one of them. I hope you were not among the 3 who poked me (my hands, specifically) without success all those years ago...

:a-m1524:

Arhhhh .... only success then will have blood oozing out hahaha
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4