I'm a nurse. Ask me anything about nursing

Philipkee

the biggest worry will be the 2 children fighting over it....

beside the flat, maybe time to ask them do up a will if it has not been done... 

Thanks. There are actually a lot of other factors given their family dynamics, some of which make some of us a little worried.

We think the will is secondary, as he probably will split it anyway, when the time comes.

It's when his condition gets worse, but is still alive, that we're concerned about. 

The LPA that is mentioned, is recommended by the hosp (either the doc or the MSW). And the sceptical us are worried that the assigned LPA if later doesn't act in his best interest (remember I mentioned the tricky family dynamics...), then it's really gonna be tough...

Maybe I'm just being paranoid - i hope so...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

hotel only need housekeeping to confirm nothing took from the minibar, hospital needs doctors to certify a patients on every account to be discharged, and doctor has many patient and not sitting there to sign discharge form.

there is a process called plan discharge summary.

There is also a bed management system that was spend by IT.

Just not sure after spending the money was it ever use or the KPI just could not meet the desired outcome.

In fact, I belief there is a KPI on discharging patient base on the condition that they are in.

Its a fine art of risk of discharged with re admission.

I feel there are leeways and the stress of nursing is not that intense as in other field and there are quite a bit of time.

But then again after this incident, nurse are required to be better supervised.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/former-filipino-nurse-charged-with-sedition-giving-false-info-to-police

Edited by Sdf4786k

there is a process called plan discharge summary.

There is also a bed management system that was spend by IT.

Just not sure after spending the money was it ever use or the KPI just could not meet the desired outcome.

In fact, I belief there is a KPI on discharging patient base on the condition that they are in.

Its a fine art of risk of discharged with re admission.

I feel there are leeways and the stress of nursing is not that intense as in other field and there are quite a bit of time.

All these are already used since donkey years ago lah. 

Nowadays u don't even get billed in the hospital. The costs and paper work arrive at your house a few weeks later.

This is like telling me, why need to check in to airport and queue up at immigration to clear customs? Why ar? Why ar? How come i can't just get off my taxi and walk onto the aeroplane?

Hi @lala81 and @philipkee,

Would like to check with you on Lung Cancer.  I just found out that my friend has advanced stage lung cancer .  Which stage is advanced stage?  Is it stage 4?

I read that there is no cure for stage 4 and just to prolong life only?  So far none has survived more than 2 years.  Are these true?

Would appreciate your reply on the above.

Thank you very much. 

[:(] [:(]

Thanks. There are actually a lot of other factors given their family dynamics, some of which make some of us a little worried.

We think the will is secondary, as he probably will split it anyway, when the time comes.

It's when his condition gets worse, but is still alive, that we're concerned about. 

The LPA that is mentioned, is recommended by the hosp (either the doc or the MSW). And the sceptical us are worried that the assigned LPA if later doesn't act in his best interest (remember I mentioned the tricky family dynamics...), then it's really gonna be tough...

Maybe I'm just being paranoid - i hope so...

i don't think you are paranoid... i know of something similar,  daughter and bf refuse to let mother take her medicine.... lucky maid informed other relatives and they brought her to the hospital and doc say lucky they brought her to hospital in time...

but of course some selfish people will say not his family business why kpo

The LPA does not have to be immediate family but the question is, who is willing to take the responsibility....

Would like to check with you on Lung Cancer. I just found out that my friend has advanced stage lung cancer . Which stage is advanced stage? Is it stage 4?

I read that there is no cure for stage 4 and just to prolong life only? So far none has survived more than 2 years. Are these true?

Thank you very much.

I cannot say no cure in view of recent medical advances. I can only tell you my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer about twenty years ago. Not supposed to be advanced stage yet.

Went for surgery, chemo and radiotherapy but still died about a year later.

• Praise 1

Would like to check with you on Lung Cancer.  I just found out that my friend has advanced stage lung cancer .  Which stage is advanced stage?  Is it stage 4?

I read that there is no cure for stage 4 and just to prolong life only?  So far none has survived more than 2 years.  Are these true?

Thank you very much. 

Advanced is a vague term, so can't say for certain. Advanced can mean local or distant invasion/spread.

Generally, most people use it when talking about Stage 3 or 4 Cancer. 

It depends on the cell type and whether it's local or distant spread of the cancers.

Chemotherapy has come a long way for some cancers, but i think for solid tumor cancers like lung cancer, generally 5-year survival rates are poor still.

Frankly, i know very little as well about current survival rates with or without chemotherapy, cos usually these are under the care of the Oncologist who oversees all the treatment and things have advanced greatly in the last 10 years.

Probably ask the family member who sat in with the discussion with the oncologist to find out more bah.

• Praise 1

Advanced is a vague term, so can't say for certain. Advanced can mean local or distant invasion/spread.

Generally, most people use it when talking about Stage 3 or 4 Cancer.

It depends on the cell type and whether it's local or distant spread of the cancers.

Chemotherapy has come a long way for some cancers, but i think for solid tumor cancers like lung cancer, generally 5-year survival rates are poor still.

Frankly, i know very little as well about current survival rates with or without chemotherapy, cos usually these are under the care of the Oncologist who oversees all the treatment and things have advanced greatly in the last 10 years.

Probably ask the family member who sat in with the discussion with the oncologist to find out more bah.

Thanks.

I think her family shd hv already seen the Oncologist.

I dun want to disturb her cos she said v weak now wanted to rest. Just worry about her.

Thanks ya. :)

I cannot say no cure in view of recent medical advances. I can only tell you my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer about twenty years ago. Not supposed to be advanced stage yet.

Went for surgery, chemo and radiotherapy but still died about a year later.

Thanks ya.
  • Praise 1

All these are already used since donkey years ago lah. 

Nowadays u don't even get billed in the hospital. The costs and paper work arrive at your house a few weeks later.

This is like telling me, why need to check in to airport and queue up at immigration to clear customs? Why ar? Why ar? How come i can't just get off my taxi and walk onto the aeroplane?

u also say donkey years. Yet the process for discharge and collecting medication from pharmacy takes donkey time.

As an example. the japan system, when after consultation, the medication is waiting for you to collect.

Really never change and improve all these years....

Edited by Sdf4786k

u also say donkey years. Yet the process for discharge and collecting medication from pharmacy takes donkey time.

As an example. the japan system, when after consultation, the medication is waiting for you to collect.

Sure ... why not go apply for the COO position of Mt E, Mt E Novena, Farrer Park, RH ?

I'm sure they will be falling over their feet to hire you as their COO cos u can dramatically improve their discharge times right?

• Praise 1

I'm sure what you're thinking of is so revolutionary that multiple successive hospital administrators since the 1980s haven't thought of it.

Edited by Lala81

dont say health.....see education i also

i don't think you are paranoid... i know of something similar,  daughter and bf refuse to let mother take her medicine.... lucky maid informed other relatives and they brought her to the hospital and doc say lucky they brought her to hospital in time...

but of course some selfish people will say not his family business why kpo

The LPA does not have to be immediate family but the question is, who is willing to take the responsibility....

Wah lao...  [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

I better not think too much more about various (negative) possibilities...

You're absolutely right on the part of who wanna take responsibility for the LPA...

I am of course inclined to not get involved, and i know my wife will say siao to worry about such things - should spend more time coaching the kids in their studies instead - but I think my father might not just keep quiet... sigh...

Hi Philip, for MRSA colonised patient commuting on private sharing transporter.

Can you please advise the safety precautions to be taken by the patient and transport provider? Thank you very much.

Not saying/asking you to kaypoh...just friendly advice to your cousins or anyone :)

Just saw this question. Maybe a doctor like @lala81 can advise better.

Because in the hospital we usually keep these patients separate from other patients in order to prevent cross infection. While these patients may be admitted for other reasons than mrsa infections the fact that they can infect other patients is there.

Healthcare workers may also be carriers of mrsa and I heard that the percentage is high cos of our exposure to diseases but we usually wear gloves when handling patients and so on.

But this is hospital setting. For private sharing transport I cannot advise. If it is personal transport where you can control who enters your car you can take some precautions in who you take on the car and how you clean the car but private sharing might be tricky in this aspect. I assume you are meaning PHV when you say private sharing.

• Praise 3

for different types of lung tumors, surgical resection and radiotherapy may also offer some advantages

Recent advances made in lung RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) procedure, reduces the risk of pneumothorax, compared to surgical resection and it's attendant complications ... chest tubes and all.

Taking a biopsy sample of the lung, in parallel with RFA is a much more effective co-procedural technique used nowadays, where the trailing RFA rod upon withdrawal, is used to reseal the entry puncture - minimising the risk of the onset of infection.

And unlike thoracoscopic lobectomy - which would remove a whole lobe (or lobes) of a lung, RFA is a much more precise and targeted approach in tumor removal.

And following that with targeted chemotherapy, recent advances in immunotheraphy and the use of monoclonal antibodies - e.g. Nivolumab and Pembrozilumab, have shown demonstrable efficacy in suppressing tumor growth of NSCLC (i.e. the non-small cell variant of lung Ca).

Edited by merc280v6
  • Praise 1

Recent advances made in lung RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) procedure, reduces the risk of pneumothorax, compared to surgical resection and it's attendant complications ... chest tubes and all.

Taking a biopsy sample of the lung, in parallel with RFA is a much more effective co-procedural technique used nowadays, where the trailing RFA rod upon withdrawal, is used to reseal the entry puncture - minimising the risk of the onset of infection.

And unlike thoracoscopic lobectomy - which would remove a whole lobe (or lobes) of a lung, RFA is a much more precise and targeted approach in tumor removal.

And following that with targeted chemotherapy, recent advances in immunotheraphy and the use of monoclonal antibodies - e.g. Nivolumab and Pembrozilumab, have shown demonstrable efficacy in suppressing tumor growth of NSCLC (i.e. the non-small cell variant of lung Ca).

Lol you onco or rad onco?

I think I have an infection somewhere private and always covered when I go out.

I feel shy about this and don't want to see a doctor.

Is it possible I get some good advice here and do some

self medication?

A lot of people will give their 2 cents here but not all is 

good advice or even logical or scientific.

To cut straight to the point I think I have a fungal infection

between my toes cos I have to wear shoes and socks most

of the time. I have changed to only cotton socks and bought

a pair of good breathable shoes and put powder on my feet

to keep it dry. I also have insoles to absorb moisture from my feet.

My question is as it has cleared up nicely is it ok I don't go and

see a doctor if it doesn't come back again? I feel shy about showing

strange doctors my feet but I do like to see ladies with nice feet myself.

:D  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1