I'm a nurse. Ask me anything about nursing

Philipkee

On 9/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, mellong87 said:

Is there anyone interested to apply for the PCP-EN this intake in September (which has just opened)? Unfortunately I do not have sufficient Os and As to qualify for the diploma course although I would very much love to attempt it instead of going to ITE for Nitec. With the many years of working experience and continuous learning (albeit without the necessary certificates and credentials), I think they will only consider us based on our academic achievements for entry. 

how many o levels and a levels needed? why do you need a levels for diploma course?

On 10/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Lynmei said:

Yes I  had applied for PCP nursing(EN) for 2021 intake. Now in the midst of Q N A and zoom interview coming up.

For the 2 yr ITE level which u will pass out as enrolled nurse you will need min of 2 O level or 3 :N: level.

below is the link:https://conversion.mycareersfuture.gov.sg/Portal/ProgramDetails.aspx?ProgID=P00000178

Hi Lynmei! I have PMed you! Would like to connect with you! 

On 11/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, Marzsomeone said:

Are there any platform to post jobs suitable for nursing students?

Not that I know of.  I assume you are not in nursing school now cos their student affairs might have separate arrangements.

If part time jobs there shouldnt be any difference from any other part time jobs.

But nursing students HAVE to be careful.  If they are bonded, technically they are employed and they are not allowed to seek a secondary employment which includes private nursing.  Usually the hospital will approve if you write in (but not sure for nursing students but nursing staff who want to give lectures outside of hospital need to seek written approval).

Hope this helps.

For those applicant for PCP nursing course it had been highlight since the first Q and A briefing till now the final stage that they are not allow to work part time during their 2 yrs of studies.

It can cause you to be kick out of the sponsorship programe if caught. So don't play with fire and really do plan your finance aspect well before even think of applying for this PCP programme.

I am lucky as I only have to upkeep myself and my HDB. So HDB is taken care of my CPF. However for the monthly training allowance will have to see what will be offered by your sponsor hospital and work back on your own budget.

Coming to the final stage of this PCP application, honestly people whom need to finance kids education, housing and other stuff it is very difficult unless u happen to married to a rich hubby or his salary really allows you to be a tai tai aka student for 2 yrs.

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Lynmei said:

For those applicant for PCP nursing course it had been highlight since the first Q and A briefing till now the final stage that they are not allow to work part time during their 2 yrs of studies.

It can cause you to be kick out of the sponsorship programe if caught. So don't play with fire and really do plan your finance aspect well before even think of applying for this PCP programme.

Not only PCP but normal diploma in nursing as well.  As long as you are bonded, you are considered employed by the hospital and so a second job is not allowed.

43 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Not only PCP but normal diploma in nursing as well.  As long as you are bonded, you are considered employed by the hospital and so a second job is not allowed.

I think this need to change. Hopefully authorities to pick this post up and then think.. Actually should amend this type of clause. Coz during school term even if bonded. If this person want to work part time and does not affect his/her studies and also the future nursing. Why not? Plus this person work part time will also gain valuable experience that maybe in school do not teach. So it's good what. 

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

I think this need to change. Hopefully authorities to pick this post up and then think.. Actually should amend this type of clause. Coz during school term even if bonded. If this person want to work part time and does not affect his/her studies and also the future nursing. Why not? Plus this person work part time will also gain valuable experience that maybe in school do not teach. So it's good what. 

I heard before.  There might be legal issues other than it's a clause in the contract (like civil service cos you need to have written approval for second job).

Cos nursing students might take up jobs that affect their career.  For example? They help in nursing homes as part timers and such.  This might seem good as its work experience but if something happens, it can affect their career.  A normal part timer who helps an elderly who falls might just get a nagging but if people know this is a nursing student, they might complain to the school. If the student were not bonded, the complaint stops there but if the student were bonded, it goes to the hospital and is recorded there.   Also what if you got injured at work?  It's not likely though possible that a nursing student will want to work in Macdonald's or something.

So it was recommended officially bonded students don't get second job.  Unofficially we were told if we wanted to do so, get paid in petty cash so there is no record in cpf.  Do what you want but don't get caught.  :D

Btw I studied nursing 1995-1998 so a lot of things were not online and yes, you could still choose to be paid in petty cash then.

For PCP I am guessing the students are more mature and there is definitely higher chance of conflict of interests of getting into legal trouble or second job affecting nursing studies.

Removing the clause might not be useful but if they really need to boost their income, a possibility is to take a second job within the hospital as a clerk or something.  It would be easier to get and I know people who have done so.

• Praise 2

21 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I heard before.  There might be legal issues other than it's a clause in the contract (like civil service cos you need to have written approval for second job).

Cos nursing students might take up jobs that affect their career.  For example? They help in nursing homes as part timers and such.  This might seem good as its work experience but if something happens, it can affect their career.  A normal part timer who helps an elderly who falls might just get a nagging but if people know this is a nursing student, they might complain to the school. If the student were not bonded, the complaint stops there but if the student were bonded, it goes to the hospital and is recorded there.   Also what if you got injured at work?  It's not likely though possible that a nursing student will want to work in Macdonald's or something.

So it was recommended officially bonded students don't get second job.  Unofficially we were told if we wanted to do so, get paid in petty cash so there is no record in cpf.  Do what you want but don't get caught.  :D

Btw I studied nursing 1995-1998 so a lot of things were not online and yes, you could still choose to be paid in petty cash then.

For PCP I am guessing the students are more mature and there is definitely higher chance of conflict of interests of getting into legal trouble or second job affecting nursing studies.

Removing the clause might not be useful but if they really need to boost their income, a possibility is to take a second job within the hospital as a clerk or something.  It would be easier to get and I know people who have done so.

Wa thanks for your detailed explanation. Now I understand why. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Legal issue! Decades ago my senior medic using vulgarities ever said....the cpr certification is to save your ass in unforseen circumstances. Otherwise anyone / everyone can perform cpr. "You better pass and don't monkey see monkey do...."😄

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Smm pass out. Don't have high expectations ok. Haha

GCS zero liaole...no response.

The Tanchia Snr--- not all can make it.

Old reserbit learn well and can perform under pressure with no relevant work experience outperform shaking hand shaking leg tanchia beng.

Sometimes wonder how actual system will operate without a few good men or women.

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Agree on this that a bonded student should not take up a part time job.

Cos one has to remember medical check had been cleared before you are accepted for the sponsorship. If let's say one during study time and u work some part time job which required some nursing skills like a clinic kind of environment which involved injections and u kana 'poke incident' and happen the needle was from a HIV patient the agreement will be void immediately and you will have to pay the LD in a lump sum.

At the end of the day as I said if one decide to go for PCP programme pls have your finances worked out and just enjoy being a student as training allowance is being given.

But one a side note, I have another friend she got into PCP for RN and she has her own place she rent out her spare room to get extra income. This is another safe way to get extra income during this period.

As said lo do what you want but don't get caught.

There are lots of ways to earn extra income nowadays especially since this COVID comes in. I had friend suddenly became a virtual business person just being at home.

*LD=liquified damages

• Praise 1

A nurse is a pseudo cibil serbant.

Can cibil serbic werk part time?

Additional income can be from sources as per other cibil serban not twerking for another employa.

Although pilipinos have been spotted twerking in back ares of orchard restaurants.

Or prc girls climbing gates at night.

Or.....

It happens.

Want to catch cannot catch all la.