I'm a nurse. Ask me anything about nursing

Philipkee

On 11/25/2020 at 10:41 AM, Philipkee said:

Not that I know of.  I assume you are not in nursing school now cos their student affairs might have separate arrangements.

If part time jobs there shouldnt be any difference from any other part time jobs.

But nursing students HAVE to be careful.  If they are bonded, technically they are employed and they are not allowed to seek a secondary employment which includes private nursing.  Usually the hospital will approve if you write in (but not sure for nursing students but nursing staff who want to give lectures outside of hospital need to seek written approval).

Hope this helps.

Thank you, we are trying to look for fresh grads for a job we have on hand. thus, wondering if there's any platform for such in the nursing field.

↡ Advertisement

11 minutes ago, Marzsomeone said:

Thank you, we are trying to look for fresh grads for a job we have on hand. thus, wondering if there's any platform for such in the nursing field.

If you are an official organisation, ever considered writing to the schools like NYP? They can advise you and at the same time provide a space for you to advertise. 

Official organisation is like nursing home or something.  A church youth group or something might not be allowed.  Or a volunteer group like lion befriend but if you were looking for helpers for a friend, maybe no.

Yesterday was having lunch at our staff area and overheard a conversation between 2 NA nursing student.

Since last week and this week there is a batch of NA nursing students attach at my work place for clinician attachment.

Student A was complaining to student B one of her frustration that she is suppose to test competency for skill A however due to overwhelm with work load and stuff the staff which she was attached to asked her to proceed with the skill A procedure. And the staff will come back and access her competency. student A was complaining how can she proceed when she had not observe from the staff and being told just go ahead and do procedure of skill A?

This set me a question, for clinician attachment aren't the student suppose to observe the procedure once and the following occurance the student will do on the PT with staff observing or the student is suppose to straight away hands on with that procedure being taught at school and clinician attachment is just a exposure for them to hands on and complete their competency?

If some of you track back I am currently applying for NITEC nursing course and asking all these questions to protect myself as a coming nursing student. As recently I had been advise from someone in this industry for decades she said: is ok if everything is clam and quiet but do as much as u can to made a grave mistake in this industry as it can cost your nursing license. Which this makes alot of sense. So much so if a person is willing to learn the correct way but how can we know whom we learn from or attached to is teaching us the correct way?

Also I would like to ask what is the primary role of an enrolled nurse now in a ward? I know the difference between RN and EN is there are a list of procedure which a EN is not allowed to do like giving medicine, administer jabs, change dressing of more complex wounds. PLs do add on the list if there is more.

So back again what can a EN do in a ward? Update PT records? Assist in receiving PT from OT to ward? Assist in bed pan and change diaper? What else?

Edited by Lynmei
  • Praise 1

On 12/15/2020 at 9:10 AM, Lynmei said:

Yesterday was having lunch at our staff area and overheard a conversation between 2 NA nursing student.

Since last week and this week there is a batch of NA nursing students attach at my work place for clinician attachment.

Student A was complaining to student B one of her frustration that she is suppose to test competency for skill A however due to overwhelm with work load and stuff the staff which she was attached to asked her to proceed with the skill A procedure. And the staff will come back and access her competency. student A was complaining how can she proceed when she had not observe from the staff and being told just go ahead and do procedure of skill A?

This set me a question, for clinician attachment aren't the student suppose to observe the procedure once and the following occurance the student will do on the PT with staff observing or the student is suppose to straight away hands on with that procedure being taught at school and clinician attachment is just a exposure for them to hands on and complete their competency?

If some of you track back I am currently applying for NITEC nursing course and asking all these questions to protect myself as a coming nursing student. As recently I had been advise from someone in this industry for decades she said: is ok if everything is clam and quiet but do as much as u can to made a grave mistake in this industry as it can cost your nursing license. Which this makes alot of sense. So much so if a person is willing to learn the correct way but how can we know whom we learn from or attached to is teaching us the correct way?

Also I would like to ask what is the primary role of an enrolled nurse now in a ward? I know the difference between RN and EN is there are a list of procedure which a EN is not allowed to do like giving medicine, administer jabs, change dressing of more complex wounds. PLs do add on the list if there is more.

So back again what can a EN do in a ward? Update PT records? Assist in receiving PT from OT to ward? Assist in bed pan and change diaper? What else?

Cannot comment too much cos it was years ago.

What you say is very grey. Cos theoretically the lecturer is supposed to be the one assessing the skills of the student in the ward.  Not the staff.  Cos the student is supposed to practice in accordance with the school teaching and not hospital policy (they are supposed to be the same but not always. That's why it's called theory practice gap).

So the lecturer is supposed to assess if you can go independently.  But it is grey because the nurse is ultimately the one in charge but the workload might make it impossible for such an assessment to occur.

So learn from the lecturer.  Dont learn from the staff. There is the risk of you picking bad habits.  The exception is probably PRCP cos you are going to pass out in the ward so the attachment is also on how you can fit in.

ENs, I dont know.  Cos the training for EN has changed over the years and what you have been trained for as EN is not the same as what you are allowed to do in the wards.  Best to double check with the staff in charge AND the EN there.  Cos the staff in charge will probably just ask you to do basic care only.

• Praise 1

On 12/15/2020 at 9:10 AM, Lynmei said:

Forgot to mention.  There is such a thing as a PEN or principal enrolled nurse.   These people are trained and authorised by the hospital to perform tasks more similar to that of a junior staff  nurse.

So when asking the EN in the dept what are their duties and their responsibilities, be careful if you are speaking to a PEN.  Cos the PEN might be telling the duties and responsibilities she has but they are not duties and responsibilities for you if you are an EN or SEN.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, Philipkee said:

So learn from the lecturer.  Dont learn from the staff. There is the risk of you picking bad habits.  The exception is probably PRCP cos you are going to pass out in the ward so the attachment is also on how you can fit in.

Ha ha this I can feel it. cos from my supervisor we are suppose to explain to PT why we need to fit compression stocking to them after C-sect cases however I had witness the nurse just told the PT u need to be on the compression stockings them we can allow you to come off the bed and walk..

I was stunned for a moment and wait till the nurse leave the room before I explain why they were refered for compression stockings.

Actually is a double sword edge things sometimes when u explain too much and the PT understand the reason for treatment they will decline the treatment as they will say they know their body best. Also there is always a patient's rights to decline treatment.Is alot of grey area in healthcare in fact.

I have ever encounted after explain the reason for compression stockings and patient still decline, My exact words are well I can respect your decision and will update the nurse in charge however I need to made known is there is any other complications arises due to the absence of compression stockings I would like to made known it will not be the hospital's responsibility...Immediately the PT change her mind and wants the compression stockings to be fitted.

I guess one have to well verse on the consequence if the PT decline a certain treatment.

• Praise 1

Hi Philip, do you recommend undergrads to take on honours? how valued is an honours cert in the hospitals? hope to hear from other seniors as well on this matter, really appreciate any advice given!

1 hour ago, VQxx said:

Hi Philip, do you recommend undergrads to take on honours? how valued is an honours cert in the hospitals? hope to hear from other seniors as well on this matter, really appreciate any advice given!

Can't say cos I did my nursing in NYP.  Got degree from distance learning.

But I do know people who did very well in uni and got a honours.

Thing is, in hospitals, we are operational so you cannot say I got a qualification, I will definitely rise..  It helps but you still have to prove you can work.

So no advice either way.  Go for it if you qualify for the honours program.  Just don't have the expectation that your career path and promotion is confirmed because you have  a honours.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, Philipkee said:

Can't say cos I did my nursing in NYP.  Got degree from distance learning.

But I do know people who did very well in uni and got a honours.

Thing is, in hospitals, we are operational so you cannot say I got a qualification, I will definitely rise..  It helps but you still have to prove you can work.

So no advice either way.  Go for it if you qualify for the honours program.  Just don't have the expectation that your career path and promotion is confirmed because you have  a honours.

Actually I agree of much what u said.  Lots of Mo and Ho are stuck cos they are so well verse in their books but when comes to operational in co-ordination, time management they sucks a big time. Cause lots of headaches in the wards.

Sorry to say this but I also see lots of 'academice competency but operational incompetency' applicants in PCP EN QNA. Seriously will expect some drop outs before first term ends...

School starts next monday!

• Praise 1

On 1/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, Lynmei said:

Actually I agree of much what u said.  Lots of Mo and Ho are stuck cos they are so well verse in their books but when comes to operational in co-ordination, time management they sucks a big time. Cause lots of headaches in the wards.

Sorry to say this but I also see lots of 'academice competency but operational incompetency' applicants in PCP EN QNA. Seriously will expect some drop outs before first term ends...

School starts next monday!

thank you for taking time to reply!

Why do some nurses hard to approach? And if you are going to ask / verify / clarify something, their tone are superior. 😣 They are some who jolly and really approachable and helpful.  I hope they are all like that. 

• Shocked 1

On 1/7/2021 at 11:59 PM, jessicaW said:

Is it difficult for you to work during the coronavirus?

No comments.  I can only say it really varies from dept to dept.  

18 minutes ago, Bigharcar said:

Why do some nurses hard to approach? And if you are going to ask / verify / clarify something, their tone are superior. 😣 They are some who jolly and really approachable and helpful.  I hope they are all like that. 

Some nurses, its their character.  

Sometimes the nurse is suspicious that you intend to quote her for another purpose so it's not superiority at play but defensiveness.

Sometimes  the nurse has other things on her mind.  It can vary.  As she is talking to you, she notices something amiss in another patient.  So she brushes you off because she is observing something else (but she can't tell you because that will pique your curiosity and this might get her into trouble if you are the kpo type).

Most nurses are actually jolly, approachable and helpful.  Its just a matter of when you meet them.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:59 PM, jessicaW said:

Is it difficult for you to work during the coronavirus?

This will depends on the different wards you are working at.

I personally will say work around the hospital still have to goes on and just have to work around the new red tapes. Like my side on physio we use to hold exercise class for a group of 10 PT, but due to Covid 19 and phase 2 we limited to 5 PT per class.

I only pity the ward nurses as wards only allow a register of 5 regular visitors but at any 1 time only 1 visitor is allow beside the bed. The rulling initial kick start they get lots of hell from non understanding family members but as times goes by everyone co-operate.

Diffficult or not....well there are additonal steps add into and staff have to send for breifing and training but at the end of the day it is still possible to do their work. I wold say more patience and understanding should be shown.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Lynmei said:

I only pity the ward nurses as wards only allow a register of 5 regular visitors but at any 1 time only 1 visitor is allow beside the bed. The rulling initial kick start they get lots of hell from non understanding family members but as times goes by everyone co-operate.

During SARS, it was very strict.  No visitors.  So life was easier since the relatives are not there to shout at any nurse.

Then again it was only for a short period while this covid-19 has been in progress for close to a year and ending is not really in sight yet.

And again this is the ward.  I heard ane was a warzone then.

I just have a question.

Let's say you are in the career after 5 years,  if everything else remains the same and without Covid-19,  what changes would you like to see that would most benefit you. 

↡ Advertisement