Holidays in Turkey - December - Safe?

Nobrainer32007

Turbocharged

"Too cold " differs from person to person , and now is only Jan , who can predict the political situation in Turkey in December ???

Anyway, they are the most open minded Muslims in the world and I never felt intimidated at all when I was there last December.

Turkey is part of NATO. Highly unlikely it would fall to the ISIS.

We were there last December, as part of a cruise stop. Fascinating place, a lot of history and well worth a visit.

I put more info in my blog post.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2015/01/istanbul-turkey-topkapi-palace-and.html

Some videos:

Blue Mosque

Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar.

• Praise 2

Thanks for the helpful response.

Turkey is part of NATO. Highly unlikely it would fall to the ISIS.

We were there last December, as part of a cruise stop. Fascinating place, a lot of history and well worth a visit.

I put more info in my blog post.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2015/01/istanbul-turkey-topkapi-palace-and.html

Some videos:

Blue Mosque

Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar.

Was there in Dec 4yrs ago. Istanbul not that cold but generally if touring the rural areas, better have warm clothings. No point having those thick woolen ones, wind proof ones are better.

Have comfortable walking footwear if exploring the ruins.

• Praise 1

Too cold or too near to ISIS?

Worth going?

Views and advice appreciated.

Worth going.

But largely also depends on what type of tour and where. It's a bloody HUGE country !!!

Western part and capital is really very modern, lots of westerners, rich Russians etc. Women dress fashionably and feels like any other big city. . But rich with ancient history.

Most group tours will concentrate there due to logistics. Transport and accommodations etc.

If you can, go East. You will really experience a different culture and "feel".

But Eastern parts are very different. Lots of men in what we would think of as "taliban style" cloths and beards. Think CNN news reports of Afghanistan. Few woman in the streets.

Need common sense, but generally friendly people. We got locals requesting to take picture with us cos they never seen Chinese b4.

Sharp eyed NS men will also notice that the East is somewhat militarised. Bunkers, road blocks etc visible if you look. Now should be more strict due to the syrian (haha. . Auto text is "durian") crisis.

If you can.

Get a local guide to bring you East. Best tour i ever had.

• Praise 2

Thank you.

Worth going.

But largely also depends on what type of tour and where. It's a bloody HUGE country !!!

Western part and capital is really very modern, lots of westerners, rich Russians etc. Women dress fashionably and feels like any other big city. . But rich with ancient history.

Most group tours will concentrate there due to logistics. Transport and accommodations etc.

If you can, go East. You will really experience a different culture and "feel".

But Eastern parts are very different. Lots of men in what we would think of as "taliban style" cloths and beards. Think CNN news reports of Afghanistan. Few woman in the streets.

Need common sense, but generally friendly people. We got locals requesting to take picture with us cos they never seen Chinese b4.

Sharp eyed NS men will also notice that the East is somewhat militarised. Bunkers, road blocks etc visible if you look. Now should be more strict due to the syrian (haha. . Auto text is "durian") crisis.

If you can.

Get a local guide to bring you East. Best tour i ever had.

Supercharged

Too cold or too near to ISIS?

Worth going?

Views and advice appreciated.

i was there in last November for working trip. Weather is good. not too cold. just nice. its like air con.

like someone said, its a big country. East and Western sides. You can take a ferry to the Eastern side cheaply. Enjoy hot air ballon ride

if you want hassle free, take tour package deal.

Great food. i love their food. [laugh]

their gals are cute too....... but dont anyhow touch. kena stone to death

Turkey ........ one choice for December holidays. Care to share your experience?

Turkish lira peng san

But the hot air balloon guys want euro don’t want lira

:(

• Praise 1

Turkey ........ one choice for December holidays. Care to share your experience?

I have been to Turkey and it was all about women houses.

I went to Mary the virgin's house.

VirginMary1-RJohn.jpg

Then I went to the women with the head full of snakes house. I don't mean my MIL.

medusa-of-ephesus-turkey-bronze-riser.jp

Then I went to the library

Biblioteca_de_Celso_-_02.jpg

Then I went to the toilet of Turkey

5epbk004s8.jpg

They have a big national station too

Ephesos-Amphitheatre-in-Ephesus-Turkey-1

They like to eat kebabs

shishkebab-turkey-web.jpg

but Turkey not as good as Bangkok.

The guide asked me if I wanted to try the Turkish delights and its not the same as Bangkok delights.

This is Turkish delight.

Traditional-Turkish-Delight.jpg

Turkish bath also not as good as bathing in Bangkok. Instead of a slim young lady

you get a fat man to clean you. As a lesbian I don't feel comfortable being cleaned by a man, 

banyoda-keselenmek-icin-evlenen-adam_260

They have a market that likes to sell you carpets. Just the carpets you get at Ikea.

Carpets-Kilims-istanbul-grand-bazaar.jpg

This one from Ikea

valby-ruta-rug-low-pile-assorted-colours

I like this blue one from Ikea better.

valloby-rug-low-pile-blue__0428150_PE583

If you want to go you should see this movie before going. Its a travel guide to going to Turkey.

MIDNIGHT%2BEXPRESS%2BTRAILER.jpg

• Praise 4

Turkish lira peng san

But the hot air balloon guys want euro donât want lira

:(

Morning of balloon... rainy.. cancelled..

Come back.. waited long time they never refund my credit card, complained to their tourism authority.. they refund me. Twice

• Praise 1

Did free and easy 7 or 8 years back.

Booked a guide, he drive us all over to places you will NEVER see on tour bus.

Went all the way to Iran border, but that was before all the isis and syrian shit. Now.. might be a bit riskier.

If you still go.. mount nemrut

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Nemrut

Amazing place.. but no tour bus

• Praise 4

Did free and easy 7 or 8 years back.

Booked a guide, he drive us all over to places you will NEVER see on tour bus.

Went all the way to Iran border, but that was before all the isis and syrian shit. Now.. might be a bit riskier.

If you still go.. mount nemrut

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Nemrut

Amazing place.. but no tour bus

How many hours to Iran border?

And have they ever left someone behind by accident?

I am thinking about taking my MIL for a very special trip.

Something she won't forget in a long time.

:D

• Praise 2

I went around in mid December last year year in Turkey ...it was safe as ever with high security especially heavy in that Taksim  area

Dont forget Capadoccia and live in the cave hotels... I stayed for 3 nights ...... it did become zero degrees and snowed a little only.... and hot air baloons and also the cultural show too ..... Very interesting place and modern and secular and nice people

Surprisingly I saw lots of nice stray dogs around in Istanbul (all tagged and good breed type) surprisingly very well cared by the public, the 1st country in the world to see so many good breed stray dogs everywhere

I took a personal guided tour guide with us (we were just 3 pax excluding guide) Some we did on our own and some with guide, they can arrange that type also so its not so regimented    

The sweets or baklava  are fantastic.... can eat until dont know what   

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5