Military talk thread

Macrosszero

40 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

I read that news article and the first response I had was "cool story bro". For the class size of UAV they are talking about it takes at least $100M and 5 to 10 years to develop until it has passed all certifications for airworthiness and not even production stage. And this is assuming an established aviation org like Boeing, lockheed or locally ST eng. And there is no way such a class of UAV carrying weapons can be developed and produced locally in SG, at least as of now.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/supersonic-combat-drone-arrow-seletar-kelley-aerospace-14368346

That may be true, but the Israeli link seems to be fairly evident - though the claims of an completely private-funded enterprise are there, we can only wait and see whether those claims come true in the next year.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

I read that news article and the first response I had was "cool story bro". For the class size of UAV they are talking about it takes at least $100M and 5 to 10 years to develop until it has passed all certifications for airworthiness and not even production stage. And this is assuming an established aviation org like Boeing, lockheed or locally ST eng. And there is no way such a class of UAV carrying weapons can be developed and produced locally in SG, at least as of now.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/supersonic-combat-drone-arrow-seletar-kelley-aerospace-14368346

that was what many singaporean tell me when I told them we got hope for a gold in 2016 olympic! many say donot pin too much hope on Singaporean sportsman! well have more faith and pride in our chill padi! you will be surprise many stuffs come out from this 724km2 land!

eg. many doesnt know Thumb Drive is invented by Singaporean....just one of the many

Edited by D3badge

1 hour ago, D3badge said:

that was what many singaporean tell me when I told them we got hope for a gold in 2016 olympic! many say donot pin too much hope on Singaporean sportsman! well have more faith and pride in our chill padi! you will be surprise many stuffs come out from this 724km2 land!

eg. many doesnt know Thumb Drive is invented by Singaporean....just one of the many

There was much controversy.. I think it was trek technology or what.. but they didnt get rich off it right?

5 hours ago, D3badge said:

Very different. I can easily believe thumb drive or sound blaster were invented here. I can believe that we may have a singaporean who can break usain bolt's world records, or we can qualify for the world cup soon. These are very challenging feats but not impossible (probability = 0). For a private sector company here (unheard off in this industry) develop a >1 ton UAV capable of carrying weapon and bring it to production in the next 10 years, No. Any such projects, MINDEF or its related agencies will definitely be heavily involved. The amount of resources required, no pte company here can do it alone.

Supercharged

RSAF takes delivery of new helicopter

The Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) has started taking delivery of the improved H225M medium-lift helicopter in Singapore, meant to progressively replace the Super Puma workhorses that have been in service since 1983.

In a Facebook post yesterday, the RSAF said it will be conducting flight tests and training on the H225M helicopters, which are manufactured by European plane maker Airbus.

The H225M has about 20 per cent longer range capability than the AS332M Super Pumas, and will complement the CH-47 helicopters to meet the Singapore Armed Forces' lift requirements for a wide spectrum of operations, said RSAF.

These include aeromedical evacuations, search-and-rescue, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, and maritime security operations.

ST_20210330_MIRSAF30A_6433131.jpg?itok=r

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/rsaf-takes-delivery-of-new-helicopter

This is the Super Puma. Can you spot the difference? 🧐

ST_20210330_MIRSAF30B_6433132.jpg?itok=D

• Haha! 2

(edited)
On 3/30/2021 at 7:18 PM, Didu said:

This is the Super Puma. Can you spot the difference? 🧐

I don't think that there needs to be a visible difference - its like saying the F-16C Block 52+ that replaced the F-16A looked pretty much the same. Which is which?

image.thumb.png.0b82fc76f1a47f6cb54a2f131a5b5351.pngimage.png.f269027bb04610b7eb77191237046e1b.png

Edited by Macrosszero

During NS, we had the privilege to fly on uh1h, super puma, f50 and c130. But most of the time we were asked to come down on our own without the aircraft.

• Haha! 1

On 3/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, Macrosszero said:

That may be true, but the Israeli link seems to be fairly evident - though the claims of an completely private-funded enterprise are there, we can only wait and see whether those claims come true in the next year.

I am very surprised by this news. 16.8 tons. Assuming for a mach 2+ drone, you will want supercruise otherwise afterburn to hit those speeds with such a small craft, endurance will be crap. What engine out there fits this spec? That will be sold to this company?

The scale models and those shots of the bigger one in the hanger, I cannot make out a single control surface. 

WTF is going on.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:27 PM, Nolicense said:

well if we develop AI to play games, they will also be better than humans. that is the better way. granted in terms of general intelligence, AI is still very faulty.

Well, for the time being, the humans still give the orders, the AI just executes the orders.

In a way, its just an extension of FBW. In a sense, FBW is already limited AI. Or even FADEC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/biden-us-troop-withdrawal-afghanistan/2021/04/13/918c3cae-9beb-11eb-8a83-3bc1fa69c2e8_story.html

President Biden will withdraw all American troops from Afghanistan over the coming months, U.S. officials said, completing the military exit by the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that drew the United States into its longest war.

• Praise 1

47 minutes ago, Beregond said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/biden-us-troop-withdrawal-afghanistan/2021/04/13/918c3cae-9beb-11eb-8a83-3bc1fa69c2e8_story.html

President Biden will withdraw all American troops from Afghanistan over the coming months, U.S. officials said, completing the military exit by the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that drew the United States into its longest war.

lol.. not possible

4 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

lol.. not possible

the word they use very nice.

its like during my NS day, when we retreat, we dun call retreat.

we call it fire movement to the rear if i remember correctly 🤣

• Haha! 2

So grey as there is likely to be “advisors” and security contractors still remaining behind. However it is probably true that rank and file soldiers will be pulled out - Biden needs to hit some KPIs.

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Beregond said:

the word they use very nice.

its like during my NS day, when we retreat, we dun call retreat.

we call it fire movement to the rear if i remember correctly 🤣

I thot it's "zhao"...?😁

• Haha! 2

23 minutes ago, Beregond said:

after  Afghanistan, maybe want to go ukraine play??

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/biden-putin-ukraine-summit-offer-hailed-in-moscow-as-win-14620270

Biden offered to hold the summit on neutral ground during a call with Putin on Tuesday, as tensions between Russia and the West spiked over Ukraine.

this brew for many years liao.. see if can take it to another level. 

us promised gorby that they will not enlarge nato towards the east when they open up. now they are inside the door liao.. 

this call give an inch they take a foot..

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Nolicense said:

this brew for many years liao.. see if can take it to another level. 

us promised gorby that they will not enlarge nato towards the east when they open up. now they are inside the door liao.. 

this call give an inch they take a foot..

Spot on - But Ukraine will not be allowed to join NATO by both sides - it serves as a buffer for third party operations so NATA/Russia won't be directly engage with each other.  They won't want to end up like East/West Germany again.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

45 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Spot on - But Ukraine will not be allowed to join NATO by both sides - it serves as a buffer for third party operations so NATA/Russia won't be directly engage with each other.  They won't want to end up like East/West Germany again.

actually ukraine is closer to russia then most ppl think. which is why russia can take crimea and rule easily.

even after ukraine split from  S.U. their gov work very closely with russia.

until the west push a pro western leader to take over.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1