Recommendation for Spectacles

Atrecord

6 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Yeah, this is the one. Crizal dunno what multi coated damn ex. Paid slightly over $1,000 for pair of spectacles. 

Crazy.

i had the same coating wear-off problem with Crizal lens also. but that was after more than 2 years, and the shop helped me to get the re-coating done at that time.

This happened few years ago.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supercharged
22 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

Damn coating on my lenses started to wear off and have patches on my glasses. 

Went back to shop and bang table but salesperson said "oh, your one year warranty over ... Nothing I can do" (past warranty period by one month).

Never going to believe their BS on lens coating anymore, dunno what this one that one ... TMD! Cannot wash glasses with soap, must wipe with cloth provided and all the blah blah blah.

Last few spectacles made at P*n P*n Optical did not have this kind of problem with coating wearing off, even after washing daily with soap and wiping on t-shirts, towels.

Any good and reliable shop to recommend, please? 

Oohh? P*n P*n Optical still around. Must go check out maybe next week but a bit far from my place.

I got all my spectacles in Taiwan. It's one of those places where number of spectacle shops can compete with convenience stores. [laugh]

For lens wise, there're generally 4 types:

• ZEISS (Germany)
  • essilor (France)
  • HOYA (Japan)
  • chapalang brand (local)

I prefer ZEISS for less optical distortion (especially if its progressive lens).

I wash the lens with dish washing soap. After which just flick off the water droplets to minimize scratches. 

• Praise 4

Heading down to KS on my next off day.

Have to book appointment I heard.

I just realized when I pan my head looking down, I see waves. Like I'm wading ankle deep water at the beach. 

Haiz! Pffft... pffft Despicable salesperson.

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Didu said:

I got all my spectacles in Taiwan. It's one of those places where number of spectacle shops can compete with convenience stores. [laugh]

• ZEISS (Germany)
  • essilor (France)
  • HOYA (Japan)

I prefer ZEISS for less optical distortion (especially if its progressive lens).

I wash the lens with dish washing soap. After which just flick off the water droplets to minimize scratches. 

How long does it take for them ( in Taiwan) to make a pair of prescriptions lens ? 
I switched from Crizal to Zeiss, already 2 years old, coating still good.  

23 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Heading down to KS on my next off day.

Have to book appointment I heard.

I just realized when I pan my head looking down, I see waves. Like I'm wading ankle deep water at the beach. 

Haiz! Pffft... pffft Despicable salesperson.

Is it? Need to book appt? Maybe coz of Covid measures.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
10 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

How long does it take for them ( in Taiwan) to make a pair of prescriptions lens ? 

Typically 5 to 7 days to collect. For folks like us on short tern stay, it's good to ask that before choosing the lens and frame. I do come across a few shops that advertise collection within 1 to 3 days.

• Praise 1

32 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

On weekend likely.

I went on Monday morning.  No problem.

• Praise 2

41 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Zeiss is always good. [laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

I'll call and check.

It’s better to check with them especially on weekend.

For wk day, I walk in without appointment 

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, Didu said:

• ZEISS (Germany)
  • essilor (France)
  • HOYA (Japan)

Dish washing soap? That is harsh. I was told to use only running water but I still wash it with soap once a week. 

I only use the fabric len cleaner to dry my lens

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 4/16/2021 at 8:17 AM, Count-Bracula said:

Yeah, this is the one. Crizal dunno what multi coated damn ex. Paid slightly over $1,000 for pair of spectacles. 

Crazy.

I ban crizal, the lense crack after 1year. Have been on Hoya and recently Zeiss, both don't give me problems. 

• Praise 3

16 minutes ago, Yeshe said:

I ban crizal, the lense crack after 1year. Have been on Hoya and recently Zeiss, both don't give me problems. 

My bad for not researching first. Haiz!

Turbocharged
On 4/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, Fcw75 said:

Please call to make appointment, even for a weekday. 

I just went late Mar to get new ones prescribed and was turned away because slots were full. 

Collection no need to make appointment. 

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Please call to make appointment, even for a weekday. 

I just went late Mar to get new ones prescribed and was turned away because slots were full. 

Collection no need to make appointment. 

Ok bro thanks.

@Count-Bracula

• Praise 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:39 PM, Count-Bracula said:

Damn coating on my lenses started to wear off and have patches on my glasses. 

Went back to shop and bang table but salesperson said "oh, your one year warranty over ... Nothing I can do" (past warranty period by one month).

Never going to believe their BS on lens coating anymore, dunno what this one that one ... TMD! Cannot wash glasses with soap, must wipe with cloth provided and all the blah blah blah.

Last few spectacles made at P*n P*n Optical did not have this kind of problem with coating wearing off, even after washing daily with soap and wiping on t-shirts, towels.

Any good and reliable shop to recommend, please? 

Oohh? P*n P*n Optical still around. Must go check out maybe next week but a bit far from my place.

all will eventually drop off one.

I would say zeiss and hoya are the ones that are the most resistant.

Only use hot water from your tap to clean your glasses + microfibre/lens cleaning cloth. Never use soap. Tissue paper etc is only when LL etc.

I wont bother with crizal in my experience. Even though I'm only 40 this year, but I've been wearing glasses since I was 4 [laugh] The lens quality is important.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

15 hours ago, Yeshe said:

yes. only hoya and zeiss are long lasting. 

my current pair hoya one is almost 3 years and still as good as new.

My old frame the zeiss one also this year started losing the coating. but it's like done maybe 4-5 years ago or longer.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement