Recommendation for Spectacles

Atrecord

Hi all,

I'm sure a lot of bros and sis out there wear glasses, so am asking for recommendations as I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

Need to make another pair of glasses but there seems to be so many different shops around so don't quite know where to go.

Am looking for light and durable glasses, and reliable optician. I was told titanium was lightest previously. Is it still the case now?

Last did a pair 4 years ago, and since then have been using smart phones so now eyes getting blurrer… so better get another pair.

Anyone tried those progressive lens? Got 'far-sighted' at this age too, so heard some said progressive can cater to both - but apparently can make the eyes confused and blurred is it?

And i saw somewhere before got some design that allows a pair of sunglasses to wrap nicely onto a pair of prescription glasses. It's not just those generic types sold at petrol stations but is fitting nicely and comes in a set one. But it's not common as I think I've only seen it once. Anyone tried this before? Figured it would be good when driving.

tks...

depends on ur budget la, if you are a millionaire then u can afford 18k gold frame plus sapphire glass cost is about 20k a pair or you are poor just walk into the shop say you want $50 a pair then.

↡ Advertisement

Wah thanks for all the useful info, which i'm trying to digest. For a start, i don't even know the people at the spec shops helping to assess the problem of the eyes - are they opticians or optometricians or??

While i've been wearing specs for ~20 yr now, i actually don't wear it when at home, or working on the desk (like now). I wear it only when I'm walking around (except at home), or driving, or let's say, am outside. This is because only one eye had 100 deg previously, and i could still see decently well for near distance without glasses.

Is this healthy, or should I wear glasses all the time, esp now that I'm sure it's worse than 100 deg, and the other eye is also no longer that good?

Optician many of the normal people selling is opticians. Usually opticians will say they don't do eye measurements for younger children.

Each shop must have an optometrist who are certified.

I think to me, the good optometrist or even opticians should look at your face. Ask you what style of glasses you like. Then they will select based on your face shape and measurements.

The experienced ones will only give u 4-5 styles to choose. If they can't find one for you within then, most of the time don't waste your time in the shop further.

@Sabian

I go to these shops usually,

SENG LI DEPARTMENTAL & OPTICAL STORE @ queensway #01-36

I forgot the name but she's a female in her 40s. Looks a bit younger than she really is.

And http://pearlsoptical.com.sg/ (the original shop at People's Park).

The boss is really laojiao ++ but the PRC who served me is not bad as well.

But not cheap.

• Praise 1

Wah thanks for all the useful info, which i'm trying to digest. For a start, i don't even know the people at the spec shops helping to assess the problem of the eyes - are they opticians or optometricians or??

While i've been wearing specs for ~20 yr now, i actually don't wear it when at home, or working on the desk (like now). I wear it only when I'm walking around (except at home), or driving, or let's say, am outside. This is because only one eye had 100 deg previously, and i could still see decently well for near distance without glasses.

Is this healthy, or should I wear glasses all the time, esp now that I'm sure it's worse than 100 deg, and the other eye is also no longer that good?

Hmmm if u are not straining your eyes when u don't wear your glasses like driving or outside, i think unlikely to worsen bah. Most of your eyesight should have stabilised by your mid 20s if you don't strain your eyes at the computer or in poor light.

what is the thinnest plastic lens?

my degree is about 650 and when I get plastic lens, you can see those inner circles..very ugly.

I cant use glass as it is too heavy for me

I don't want to run any shop down, but i didn't have a good experience at this shop in queensway.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/businessfinder/company_detail.php?companyid=173786&branchid=17545#leaf

My wife made a pair of glasses there years back. Measurements made by a staff. Collected the glasses, my wife wore it back, gave her headaches and actually vision worsened. We went back, then the boss made the measurement himself, said completely wrong... Ok lah, after remaking the lenses, turned out ok.

At the same time, I changed lenses there for my Raybans. The lenses became very scratched up due to poor care & also the lenses are not the best.

It's a high refractive index multicoat, At that time, i thought lenses should be all around the same as long as they are multicoat and high refractive index. The price was very attractive.

Fine at first but it was hopelessly color tinged within 1-1.5 years. So bad that i actually wore back my previous glasses.

But pay peanuts get monkeys.

Actually guys, to take care of your glasses.

Always wash your glasses only with hot water. I only use my fingers to rub the lenses if they are smudged. The solution is not to rub the smudge away but use hot enough water to clean the lenses.

A good lens cloth (microfibre) to wipe dry.

Tissue paper can be used in a pinch, but if u use it often you will scratch most lenses over time (except Zeiss IMO but even then i try not to do it too often). The cheap ones (lousier than HOYA), if u wipe hard to remove smudges with tissue paper, u can instantly see the scratches on the multicoat already.

It's a hard lesson i learnt, paying for replacement lenses along the way.

• Praise 1

I don't want to run any shop down, but i didn't have a good experience at this shop in queensway.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/businessfinder/company_detail.php?companyid=173786&branchid=17545#leaf

My wife made a pair of glasses there years back. Measurements made by a staff. Collected the glasses, my wife wore it back, gave her headaches and actually vision worsened. We went back, then the boss made the measurement himself, said completely wrong... Ok lah, after remaking the lenses, turned out ok.

At the same time, I changed lenses there for my Raybans. The lenses became very scratched up due to poor care & also the lenses are not the best.

It's a high refractive index multicoat, At that time, i thought lenses should be all around the same as long as they are multicoat and high refractive index. The price was very attractive.

Fine at first but it was hopelessly color tinged within 1-1.5 years. So bad that i actually wore back my previous glasses.

But pay peanuts get monkeys.

Actually guys, to take care of your glasses.

Always wash your glasses only with hot water. I only use my fingers to rub the lenses if they are smudged. The solution is not to rub the smudge away but use hot enough water to clean the lenses.

A good lens cloth (microfibre) to wipe dry.

Tissue paper can be used in a pinch, but if u use it often you will scratch most lenses over time (except Zeiss IMO but even then i try not to do it too often). The cheap ones (lousier than HOYA), if u wipe hard to remove smudges with tissue paper, u can instantly see the scratches on the multicoat already.

It's a hard lesson i learnt, paying for replacement lenses along the way.

Thanks! Useful tip on cleaning the glasses. How do you get rid of the oil that accumulates on your frame and nose pads?

Blacksnow, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

my degree is about 650 and when I get plastic lens, you can see those inner circles..very ugly.

can try high index lens 1.76+ and above

and need to choose "small" specs frame as lens is concave (gets thicker towards the edge)

• Praise 1

Thanks! Useful tip on cleaning the glasses. How do you get rid of the oil that accumulates on your frame and nose pads?

If you're using hot water and clean daily, won't really have a problem. My nose pads are still good when i wash like that.

But be careful with frames with too much plastic, but i use the hot water for bathing, at 50+ degrees, that shouldn't really damage the plastics. My tap can run hot water.

Haha don't use boiling water, those are too hot.

Twincharged

Lightweight frame can try swissflex. Used for awhile but did not like it cuz too light and my degree quite high. Lens so heavy that it keeps making the specs slide down my nose.

Using Nikon frame now. Used for 5 years already. Also light and doesn't slide down easily.

For the lens I used Crizal. I feel its good. No scratches at all over the past 5 years and the coating is still good. As clear as when it was new.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

can try high index lens 1.76+ and above

and need to choose "small" specs frame as lens is concave (gets thicker towards the edge)

Small specs frame not suitable for everyone.

It can create a problem of squinting/eye strain. But the shop assistant should be able to advise you. A lot of people stylo milo (especially ladies) wear dainty looking spectacles, but the good optometrist/optician will advise u otherwise.

Lala81, on 11 Feb 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

Small specs frame not suitable for everyone.

It can create a problem of squinting/eye strain. But the shop assistant should be able to advise you. A lot of people stylo milo (especially ladies) wear dainty looking spectacles, but the good optometrist/optician will advise u otherwise.

Yup depend on head size, nose bridge high enough etc. if not later like lao fu zi specs

• Praise 1

Mine is 500 both sides. I used glass. Perfect. Thickest part at the side is at most 4mm. Yours may be 5mm? Not too bad.

Just don't

1. use big frame

2. use half-frame or framless

3. use exotic style frames

Depending on your shape of your face, you can use round/oval frame to reduce surface area. If not, try to use as small frame as possible, but not too small.

Plastic lens if hi-index will be heavy too. Not sure how thin it can go, but plastic being plastic, it will never be as thin as glass.

Only advantage plastic can have over glass is, plastic can have better coatings for UV protection. Glass is limited.

For me, I am very straight forward. The moment I step into shop, I will say "I want glass" to prevent them from hard selling unsuitable products to me.

Lastly, choose quality titanium Japanese frames which can be still very economical. They are mostly designed for Asian facial features.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

I came across optical shop promoting Hoya Blue Control lens.

It's supposed to block out the blue rays from digital screens on PC, mobile devices, LED, etc.

On the lens, you can see the blue reflection. I believe its a coating.

I know Hoya is a very good brand lens company, but i'm not sure of this Blue Control.

The shop is selling it $180 with free korean made very light weight flexible frames (wide range of choice)

Any one has any comments on this lens?

http://www.bluecontrol.eu/en/home/

Any cheaper optical shop that i can try?

• Praise 1

I came across optical shop promoting Hoya Blue Control lens.

It's supposed to block out the blue rays from digital screens on PC, mobile devices, LED, etc.

On the lens, you can see the blue reflection. I believe its a coating.

I know Hoya is a very good brand lens company, but i'm not sure of this Blue Control.

The shop is selling it $180 with free korean made very light weight flexible frames (wide range of choice)

Any one has any comments on this lens?

http://www.bluecontrol.eu/en/home/

Any cheaper optical shop that i can try?

I think it's nothing new coz I saw my camp mate wore it years ago.

But I have read that staring at blue or have blue-ish vison for too long can either cause calming effect or a depressing effect.

I am thinking of changing my driving spectacle lens to Crizal Transition XTRActive. Currently using a clip-on polarised lens for day driving. Anyone using this Crizal Transition XTRActive?

http://www.essilor.com.sg/products-brands/photochromic-lens/varilux-transitions/

had wanted to change to transition lens long ago, but was told that it is not for driving use.

The change in color for the lens is by UV light and for most car, our window and tinting cut off most of UV and lens will not change color to work as it should be.

• Praise 1

had wanted to change to transition lens long ago, but was told that it is not for driving use.

The change in color for the lens is by UV light and for most car, our window and tinting cut off most of UV and lens will not change color to work as it should be.

U got go to the link? They have made it possible for use inside the car.

↡ Advertisement