South Korea 100 car pileup

Mockngbrd

I was actually there that day, landed that morning too. I think some of the ppl on my plane might have been inside the buses there. I avoided it cos my hotel was in Incheon, so didn't need to travel into town yet. Saw the aftermath in the afternoon. Some of the cars looked to be in really bad shape.

Visibility that morning was about 1.5meters but cleared up when i had to travel out. Was quite impressed the pilots could actually land the plane when viewing from the on-board tv/camera, cannot see the runway until just before touchdown. Power. Korean air stewardesses quite chio also, but i shy to take foto.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31403615

Two dead in 100-car South Korea pile-up

_80925683_80925607.jpg

Police said a bus may have gone into the back of a car, starting the pile-up

At least two people have been killed in a pile-up involving about 100 cars on a bridge near South Korea's Incheon International Airport.

Another 42 people were injured in the incident, eight of them seriously, the Yonhap news agency reports.

The cause is not clear, but police said initial reports suggested a bus had hit the back of a car in foggy conditions.

The bridge connects Incheon and the capital, Seoul, to the airport on Yongjing island.

The pile-up occurred at about 09:30 local time (00:30 GMT). Authorities said icy roads were also a factor.

TV footage showed emergency rescue workers trying to get to a mass of twisted and crumpled vehicles on the fog-covered bridge.

_80925758_80925754.jpg

Authorities said they had blocked off lanes on both sides of the bridge
_80925689_094b3a35-b006-4250-a6b8-0cd2ba

At least 100 cars were involved
_80925687_529019e7-15e0-4320-90b9-ce7ebc

There was heavy fog on the bridge at the time of the incident

"I heard a series of bangs in front of me. Then I was rear-ended by a following car," cab driver Yoo Sang-young told the Yonhap news agency. "I felt my car turning around and hitting a protection rail. I then lost consciousness."

Another driver said he could not see ahead of him in the thick fog.

"I slowed down but still rammed into the cars piled up in front of me," he said.

The Seoul-bound side of the bridge and a number of lanes in the other direction have been shut down.

But the Associated Press news agency quoted police official Park Sang-yeoul as saying the damaged cars had now been removed from the cross-sea bridge.

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

doesn't prevent other cars from banging into your backside mah hahaha

Haha yeah.

Must hope its another Hyundai with emergency braking

behind you.

:D

• Praise 5

that's why usa is looking at legislation for device that enable car-to-car talk ... lol

doesn't prevent other cars from banging into your backside mah hahaha

• Praise 1

Only been to Korea for work once abt 18 yr ago. Took a coach from Seoul to Taejon (and later back). On the trip there (~8 am), highway was ok, and we were seated at the very first row of seats, staring at the front windscreen. Could see the speed was in excess of 100 km/h, and distance from front vehicles was prob at most 5 car lengths. I buckled my seat belt, then closed my eyes to sleep (dun dare see)...

Was wondering what happens if got pple e-brake...

Then at 4 pm, started reverse trip as need to catch flight back at 9.30 pm. The trip down took 1.5 yr only, so we thought ok, having taken the advice of the people we met there and changed tickets originally at 5.30 pm.

On the highway back, traffic was super slow, crawling at times. Nightfall came… Along the way, went past 2 accidents, which explained the jams… Lucky that we were caught in the jams only, and not involved in the accidents.

Must say it was a shock to see such traffic flow (most vehicles >100 km/h, with max 5 car lengths in betw, and traffic not light.

Thankfully Girls Generation not involved/hurt.

My first thought also if there were celebs involved.

Now I really only care if JJ not hurt.

Only been to Korea for work once abt 18 yr ago. Took a coach from Seoul to Taejon (and later back). On the trip there (~8 am), highway was ok, and we were seated at the very first row of seats, staring at the front windscreen. Could see the speed was in excess of 100 km/h, and distance from front vehicles was prob at most 5 car lengths. I buckled my seat belt, then closed my eyes to sleep (dun dare see)...

Was wondering what happens if got pple e-brake...

Then at 4 pm, started reverse trip as need to catch flight back at 9.30 pm. The trip down took 1.5 yr only, so we thought ok, having taken the advice of the people we met there and changed tickets originally at 5.30 pm.

On the highway back, traffic was super slow, crawling at times. Nightfall came… Along the way, went past 2 accidents, which explained the jams… Lucky that we were caught in the jams only, and not involved in the accidents.

Must say it was a shock to see such traffic flow (most vehicles >100 km/h, with max 5 car lengths in betw, and traffic not light.

I didn't know korea so huge! [laugh][laugh][laugh]