Goodbye Parma FC

Scion

once a famous Italian club along with Juventus, Roma, Inter, AC Milan, Lazio

produced or had many outstanding players like Gianfranco Zola, Dino Baggio, Fabio Cannavaro, Hernan Crespo, Lilian Thuram, Gianluca Buffon, etc etc

now bankrupt, relegated and dissolved... officially no more in existence

Serie A giants Parma 'dissolved' amid claims they couldn't even afford water for training sessions

The once-proud Italian club were forced to postpone this weekend's game as they couldn't afford stewards

Reports coming out of Italy suggest that Parma have been dissolved, just a day after the cash-starved club was forced to postpone its Serie A game with Udinese while an 11th-hour attempt to save the club was underway.

The club have reportedly racked up a debt of €197 million and were forced to call off Sunday's game because they couldn't afford to pay stewards to attend the match at the Stadio Ennio Tardini.

Owner Giampietro Manenti hasn't paid players or staff at the club, currently sitting rock bottom of the table with just 10 points, for the majority of the season.

But now that cash reserves have finally run out, the Italian Football Federation has been forced to dissolve the club and automatically relegate them.

According to Parma youth team coach Hernan Crespo, the situation has gotten so bad at the once proud club that they can't even afford bottles of water during training sessions.

While no official confirmation has yet been given, it is understood that all of Parma's remaining games this year will be recorded as 3-0 losses.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

This only show that no matter how powerful a team or how rich a team is, as long as didn't manage its finances properly, the team will be in disarray sooner or later....

Hope this be a lesson to the super-rich clubs all over the world

This only show that no matter how powerful a team or how rich a team is, as long as didn't manage its finances properly, the team will be in disarray sooner or later....

Hope this be a lesson to the super-rich clubs all over the world

....also same like governing a country...if don't tax the peasant much, they will also go bankrupt...look at iceland n some other euro country...That why we have coe and erp...and we are call a fine country...Cheers to the MIW !!!!

• Praise 3

....also same like governing a country...if don't tax the peasant much, they will also go bankrupt...look at iceland n some other euro country...That why we have coe and erp...and we are call a fine country...Cheers to the MIW !!!!

How come any and everything also can pull the topic to criticize the government? Leave it for the politics thread lah.

• Praise 1

This club has a rich history so really sad to see them going out of business. Italian clubs seem to be in bad financial shape over the last few years and even the Milan teams are not spared.

In my view, it's tough financially to run a football club and very unlikely to break even, let alone make money. EPL with their huge TV revenue has set a high benchmark by paying astronomical salaries and high ticket prices so the rest of Europe is struggling to match this.

On a side note, I'm looking on with interest how Peter Lim will run Valencia cos this guy has a reputation for being able to make money out of nothing but I just don't see how he can do this at Valencia. Let's see if he proves me wrong which won't be a surprise, knowing his shrewdness!

• Praise 8

i was a huge fan of Italian football, especially in the 80s and 90s

the superstars used to play at Serie A, from Maradona, Van Basten, Gullit, Baggio, Batistuta, to Zidane, Ronaldo (fat), Neved, Cannavaro, Nesta, etc

sad to see Serie A in such a poor state now

outcompeted by Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga

Firstly, I am sad to see Parma dissolved. I am sure they can be like Fiorentina and come back again.

The problem with Italian football is they overspend and the football they offered are not attractive to the audience, especially the audience from Asia. We prefer EPL because of the football they played and the historical ties we have with Britain. The audience in Asia are more familar with EPL. Just that in the past 20 years there are more supporters began to know more about Italian clubs as well as Spanish and other European clubs.

And another reason I can think of is corruption and kelong. Its an open secret to punters that Italian football is the most kelong among the top leagues. That could be the real reason why they are getting from bad to worse because they can no longer "pay" their way to success as well as good players.

Italian football has too much Mafia control factors in it..

I was told that the mafia hand off soccer clubs and playee because they love the game.

That's qhy their kelong case are usually done by clubs owner.

actually in the 80s and early 90s, Singapore was more familiar with italian football, probably because Serie A was shown live on the SBC channels then

and also most of the stars would play in Serie A... i remember AC Milan was one of the best teams (3 musketeers in Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard) in Serie A and the then European Cup

back then, Maradona was the biggest name, and how he single-handedly carried Napoli to the Scudetto was legendary

sure, there was also massive support for Liverpool in the old Division One, but the general view was that football stars would not play in the English league because it was inferior to Serie A (South American stars often chose Serie A over the English League)

20+ years later, the circumstances switched and Serie A is now the inferior league and many stars want to play in the Premier League

i guess that's how powerful marketing is (how Premier League markets itself to the world as compared to Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga)

The problem with Italian football is they overspend and the football they offered are not attractive to the audience, especially the audience from Asia. We prefer EPL because of the football they played and the historical ties we have with Britain. The audience in Asia are more familar with EPL. Just that in the past 20 years there are more supporters began to know more about Italian clubs as well as Spanish and other European clubs.

actually in the 80s and early 90s, Singapore was more familiar with italian football, probably because Serie A was shown live on the SBC channels then

and also most of the stars would play in Serie A... i remember AC Milan was one of the best teams (3 musketeers in Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard) in Serie A and the then European Cup

back then, Maradona was the biggest name, and how he single-handedly carried Napoli to the Scudetto was legendary

sure, there was also massive support for Liverpool in the old Division One, but the general view was that football stars would not play in the English league because it was inferior to Serie A (South American stars often chose Serie A over the English League)

20+ years later, the circumstances switched and Serie A is now the inferior league and many stars want to play in the Premier League

i guess that's how powerful marketing is (how Premier League markets itself to the world as compared to Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga)

Italy just won the world cup in 82, so there is an increase interest in Italian football from Singaporeans. I remembered other than English and Italian football, German football was also featured on Ch 5. The German english commentator was also a game host(in english) for a German game show too :D

The Italian football can pay the highest salary and the level football is higher too, though boring. More tactical and defensive. Most of the footballers will want to go there because it is consider the highest level in club football. South American stars will go there is also because of language and culture reasons. But from what I know, in terms of being a supporter, in Singapore and South East Asia alone, English clubs have more supporters. And that was before the EPL era.

Other than Maradona, there is a Brazi first choice striker Careca to help score the goals for Napoli. But before Maradona joined, Napoli's reputation definitely is not as big as Juventus and the Milan clubs. In fact I think it is even less reputed than Torino at that time.

• Praise 1

Think people are sick of football corruption. Nowadays its very rare to see italian stadiums playing to full house.. only when juve plays milan. Low interest,low attendance, kelong football and high salaries is not a good model

i think now even middle-tier English teams can command higher audience rating than the Serie A giants....

Think people are sick of football corruption. Nowadays its very rare to see italian stadiums playing to full house.. only when juve plays milan. Low interest,low attendance, kelong football and high salaries is not a good model

The stadiums in Italy are in bad condition and do not meet the requirements of a modern football stadiums. Think they dont have the money to invest in improving the stadiums. Moreover unlike watching football in England and Germany where it is safe, comfortable and enjoyable even for the family to go, the supporters in Italy do not have such luxury. And with that the atmosphere suffered.

Edit:

Bayern Munich used to play in Munich Olympic stadium but they recognised the importance of having a proper football stadium. They look at Dortmund's own stadium and must be feeling envious so they went ahead to build their own stadium even though the Olympic stadium is quite big too.

Edited by Bismarck
↡ Advertisement