What Will it Take to Get Singaporeans to Give Up Their Cars?

Mercs

What Will it Take to Get Singaporeans to Give Up Their Cars?

CAR OWNERSHIP

Joanne Poh

February 23, 2015

http://blog.moneysmart.sg/car-ownership/what-will-it-take-to-get-singaporeans-to-give-up-their-cars/

Many foreigners are baffled as to why a Singaporean would want to buy a car, paying several times the price of a car in their own home countries. After all, they insist, the MRT system is fantastic and so much better than the subway in New York or the Tube in London. Others argue that car ownership takes on an aspirational veneer in Singapore, and people are willing to pay a lot of money to realise the dream.

However, as any Singaporean knows, public transport can only get you so far if you dont live near an MRT station and dont go out after midnight. In order to really change Singaporeans attitude to car ownership, some changes need to happen first, like the following.

Increased accessibility to public transport

The occasional breakdown and daily shoving matches not withstanding, the MRT is fairly efficient. While it pales in comparison to its counterparts in Hong Kong, Tokyo and Taipei, it does offer the quickest way to get from Jurong East MRT station to Bugis MRT station, especially considering the jams on the road.

But the problem is that most Singaporeans live in suburban areas quite a distance from the central zone, and unless you actually live within wallking distance of Jurong East MRT in the above example, getting to the station can be a big headache in itself. I cant pretend Im not just a little bitter about this, as I live in an area with only one bus, which has taken up to 1 hour to arrive in the past.

When you think about all that lost time spent waiting for the bus in order to get to the MRT station, its not hard to see why many Singaporeans dont mind shelling out the cash to buy a car. Either driving to work or using the park and ride scheme to get to an MRT station can save you more than an hour each daya life saver if you have to work long hours.

Cheaper late night transport options

While raising the prices of cars can deter people from buying them, those who routinely travel after midnight save much less, which then increases the attractiveness of having your own transport. Taxi fares in Singapore have risen quite a bit over the last ten years, and taking a 30 minute cab ride after midnight can easily cost you more than $25.

If you go out for late night suppers a lot, get the urge to shop at Mustafa at 3am or work the graveyard shift but have a meagre transport allowance, getting a car makes a lot of sense. While we do have NightRider and Night Owl bus services, these are limited and operate only only Fridays and Saturdays and the eve of public holidays, presumably to cater to partygoers.

I personally think the NightRider services are great, and if they could be extended to the other days of the week and serve a wider range of areas, going out at night would be a lot more affordable, considering the cost of two beers and a cab ride home with midnight surcharge could easily set you back $50.

More independence and free time for kids

Many Singaporeans Ive spoken to seem to be of the opinion that a car becomes a necessity when you have kids. However, unless you ferry your kids around every single day, the odd taxi ride to the zoo or the clinic would probably still cost much less than a car.

The problem is that many Singaporeans actually do ferry their kids around every single day. I live just outside a primary school, and every morning and afternoon the road gets jameed by an insane number of parental cars just waiting to drop their offspring off at the school gates. Many parents prefer to get stuck in a neverending queue of parents cars than to drop their kids off a 5 minute walk away.

Singapore is one of the safest countries in the world and actually the perfect place for kids to learn how to use public transport on their own, since theres little fear of their being kidnapped and sold as slaves.

On the other hand, very often its not that kids arent able to take public transport on their ownbut rather that they have too many after school activities. Parents need cars so they can drive frantically from tuition centres to piano lessons to Young Genius seminars.

If kids are allowed to be independent and free up enough time in their schedule to remove the need for parents to become chauffeurs, more people might realise that it is indeed possible to parent without a car.

Greater comfort on public transport

If youve ever had a migraine, been pregnant or just damned tired after another 12 hour work day, youve probably sworn that you would either quit your job or buy a car. For many people, their biggest bugbear about having to rely on public transport isnt commuting timeits comfort level.

To be fair, the MRT and buses in Singapore are actually quite comfortable on their own. Nobodys asking for velvet cushions or free foot massages during their commute. But when the trains and buses are packed to bursting point, you have to stand throughout an hour-long commute and youve got armpits in your face and heels stabbing at your feet, a car looks that much more appealing.

Unfortunately, even if SMRT started being more generous about the air con on the trains and hiring smiling greeters to wish passengers a pleasant commute, the crux of the matter is that for those with a long commute, standing for an hour or more causes enough discomfort to send them running to car dealers. When youre already exhausted from work, trying to balance on the steps of an overcrowded bus or having to grab for the poles as the driver makes yet another emergency stop can take its toll.

With office decentralisation already starting to happen and the government making efforts to improve the capacity of the public transport infrastructure, lets hope this problem gets solved someday.

Do you have a car and why did you buy one despite the high cost? Share your reasons! :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

My ex-boss takes 15-30mins to reach the MRT station from her home via feeder service. sometimes can be quite bad when 2 buses just zoom past without stopping. Me ? I used to reach my office carpark at Chinatown from Tanah Merah in 35mins.

yeah, so unless one stays next to MRT, the commute from home to MRT can be rather frustrating.

• Praise 6

I know people will hate me for this but any suggestion to keep people from driving is not going to be welcomed.

Increase Cat A and B coe back to 100k by having negative growth in car population.

Increasing erp tremendously may not help as that may increase inflation since most likely it will lead to increase in cost of goods. One can argue then do not charge commercial vehicles the erp increase, but this may fuel people to register companies just to buy commercial vehicles, which of course may be preventable. However not all roads have erp so people may choose to drive on other roads to siam erp.

Or bolt out those who do not need to drive from driving. For example, if a car is deemed not necessary because your job or family do not need it, then you have less likely hood of getting the rights to own a car.

In any case when the gps tracking starts in 2020, things may change again.

Edited by Andyngps
  • Praise 7

I know people will hate me for this but any suggestion to keep people from driving is not going to be welcomed.

Increase Cat A and B coe back to 100k by having negative growth in car population.

Increasing erp tremendously may not help as that may increase inflation since most likely it will lead to increase in cost of goods. One can argue then do not charge commercial vehicles the erp increase, but this may fuel people to register companies just to buy commercial vehicles, which of course may be preventable. However not all roads have erp so people may choose to drive on other roads to siam erp.

Or bolt out those who do not need to drive from driving. For example, if a car is deemed not necessary because your job or family do not need it, then you have less likely hood of getting the rights to own a car.

You are damn right! Thank you! and if this is implemented, then we will really see changes to those at the edge of the cliff

There are many ppl out there who cannot afford but still intend to hold on to one for face and other reasons!

For the record, I still go public at times but the system is nowhere reliable enough for me to calibrate my timings more accurately! That has to improve.

I say again and again, for the most part, a car is a WANT and NOT a NEED! People fabricate various reasons to make it a NEED! hogwash!

• Praise 3

You are damn right! Thank you! and if this is implemented, then we will really see changes to those at the edge of the cliff

There are many ppl out there who cannot afford but still intend to hold on to one for face and other reasons!

For the record, I still go public at times but the system is nowhere reliable enough for me to calibrate my timings more accurately! That has to improve.

I say again and again, for the most part, a car is a WANT and NOT a NEED! People fabricate various reasons to make it a NEED! hogwash!

most of the time driving during peak periods also can't calibrate my timings. this morning upper thomson got accident from 3 lane become only bus lane

riding a bike (without rain) would be much better. can't imagine if i'm stucked in that situation today.

as a fact, the MRT travelling time is quite ok. it's the "last mile connectivity" that kills.

• Praise 2

most of the time driving during peak periods also can't calibrate my timings. this morning upper thomson got accident from 3 lane become only bus lane

riding a bike (without rain) would be much better. can't imagine if i'm stucked in that situation today.

as a fact, the MRT travelling time is quite ok. it's the "last mile connectivity" that kills.

i agree w the MRT having more plannable timings. That said the congestion and the boorish behavior leaves much to be desired still.

• Praise 1

for going to work, no issues as I can get up as early as possible to avoid the human/traffic jams.

it is the going home where everyone is knocking off at about the same time that is an issue.

my workplace is not near mrt so the buses is not as easy to time as mrt.

most times, i would had reach home after 7pm(too late to fetch my kid from childcare/studentcare)

used to had a maid, now going maidless and happy with it, who knows, if the childcare/studentcare can extend their operating hours, i might choose to go carless too.

• Praise 1

even you stay next to JE MRT ...

this is what you face EVERYDAY

i repeat EVERYDAY

1070306.jpg

I cant agree more. I need to board the train at JE everyday if I don't drive. This is simply sickening.

• Praise 3

yalor ... may be someone can forward the photo to Joanne Poh ... lol

many pay hard earned money $1500psf to buy condo next to JE MRT and face this shit everyday ...

really fk up man

I cant agree more. I need to board the train at JE everyday if I don't drive. This is simply sickening.

Edited by Wt_know

we won't hate you, we just curse you [laugh]

but i agree [laugh]

• Praise 1

Here we go again....

Same old sh!t again.....

Walking down the avenue...

Foreigners and what they think....

Yeah. The foreigners like the mrt so much they spray graffiti on it...twice. And how long they are here to stay? Not long, so why would buying car here come across their mind?

Here we go again....

Same old sh!t again.....

• Praise 9

i think there is more room to grow [laugh][laugh]

Costlier petrol unlikely to change driving habits, say experts
PUBLISHED ON FEB 25, 2015
jaoil2502e.jpg
A busy Caltex petrol station on Upper Serangoon Road. The recent oil slump has kept pump prices lower than usual and will help mitigate the tariff increase for now. -- PHOTO: JAMIE KOH
BY ADRIAN LIM
While petrol prices have risen following the Government's hike in duties, motorists are unlikely to give up their rides just yet, experts said.
This is because the recent oil slump has kept pump prices lower than usual and will help mitigate the tariff increase for now.
Independent oil consultant Ong Eng Tong said oil prices may recover in the next five years when the shale oil supply from the United States drops.
On Monday, Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam announced during his Budget speech that the duty for premium grade petrol will increase by 20 cents to 64 cents a litre, while that for intermediate-grade petrol will go up by 15 cents to 56 cents per litre. The move is to discourage car usage and reduce carbon emissions.
Pump operators reflected the higher duties within a day, with the most popular grade of petrol, 95-octane, now costing between $2.01 and $2.04 per litre before discount, up from $1.85 to $1.89.
SIM University's urban transport management expert Park Byung Joon said the petrol duties are embedded in the pump price, making such a hike less effective compared to other taxation measures to discourage people from driving.
Also, compared to the outlay for a new car (usually about $130,000) an increase of $6 to $8 a week in petrol is negligible, he added.
But experts note that higher petrol duties may lead some drivers to look for alternatives to tighten their purse strings. Singapore Management University Assistant Professor Terence Fan said: "It is conceivable that some motorists may downgrade their petrol choice to save costs."
Drivers whom The Straits Times spoke to said they were unlikely to change their travel patterns.
Bank executive Jay Lim, 37, said: "I'm not sure for what price I would leave the car at home, given that I've already sunk so much money to own it. But I'd be much more keen to try the alternative of public transport if it were less congested."

if the price of carpark goes up like in Melbourne city centre and NY, then the usage of cars is not viable

or Hong Kong.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2