Car reaching 10yr in Oct, replace now or wait?

Jl255

My car is reaching 10 yr old mark in Oct. Does it make sense to renew COE at additional cost due to it being more than 10yrs old or scrap and replace?

Should I replace the car now or wait until closer to COE expiry for most cost savings?

↡ Advertisement

Should wait.

COE seems to be on the downtrend (but don't hold me to that). You can also decide if it is worthwhile to renew based on COE price in the future. E.g. If COE falls to 1 dollar (just an example, don't get too excited), then it would definitely be more worthwhile to renew it assuming you are comfortable with the condition of your car.

Edited by Kusje

Nobody can predict the future, if that's what you are hoping for?

I'm sure it's in many ppl's mind...

"To buy/renew or not to buy/renew?"

Edited by Watwheels

Should wait.

COE seems to be on the downtrend (but don't hold me to that). You can also decide if it is worthwhile to renew based on COE price in the future. E.g. If COE falls to 1 dollar (just an example, don't get too excited), then it would definitely be more worthwhile to renew it assuming you are comfortable with the condition of your car.

I don't think anybody can advise you on that. But you may want to take impact of the revise CEVs rebate/surcharge after 1 July into considerations.

• Praise 2

How much cash you have on hand now?

My car is reaching 10 yr old mark in Oct. Does it make sense to renew COE at additional cost due to it being more than 10yrs old or scrap and replace?

Should I replace the car now or wait until closer to COE expiry for most cost savings?

Should wait.

Might as well say black out, computer crash, upon reboot COE $2. But sadly you also won't know when that will happen.

• Praise 1

my advice is to wait till Jul/Aug, then decide.

the coming announcement on the COE Quota for the next quarter (May-Jul) is in mid Apr n it is expected to hv more COE than current quarter.

then the next announcement will b in mid Jul (for Aug-Oct) n it is expected to hv even more COE. [;)]

• Praise 2

Many are just rumours. Ppl say this, ppl say that.

If you stop at the traffic lights you count how many cars out of the group are "SF_" & "SG_" plates, who are due to expire soon. These will be the ppl competing with you in bidding for COE.

Even in the recent car population report demand still outnumber supply even though more quota are released quarterly.

The recent drop is becoz ppl wait to see what the budget has to offer. If you look every year the trend is same. When nearly budget announcement time COE drop coz ppl want to see got car goodies or not.

I dun want to say this say that. Just look at what's going on and see for yourself dan decide. There will be no good advise sad to say.

• Praise 3

since your car is near 10 years, any increase or drop in coming COE won't impact much on the money that you can get back from it, so I think I'll wait too. but you have to take into consideration like whether there is enough for your new car to arrive and directly replace your current one, can you afford to have a short period of time without car if the schedule don't match etc. i do think you still have maybe 3 months to wait or at least wait for next COE quota details announcement.

Worth to wait a little longer. Looks like COE is starting the downtrend, but don't expect good old years of <$20K lah. Below $50K by year end is highly possible.

Edited by Roh96

Many are just rumours. Ppl say this, ppl say that.

If you stop at the traffic lights you count how many cars out of the group are "SF_" & "SG_" plates, who are due to expire soon. These will be the ppl competing with you in bidding for COE.

Even in the recent car population report demand still outnumber supply even though more quota are released quarterly.

when was the last time supply outnumbered demand?? [confused]

2008 Nov: when Cat A was $2, the demand of 1852 outnumbered the supply of 1851.

2009 Jan: when Cat B was $200, the demand of 1179 outnumbered the supply of 1099.

2009 Feb: when Cat A was $1020, the demand of 2077 outnumbered the supply of 1894.

2009 Feb: when Cat B was $689, the demand of 1231 outnumbered the supply of 1099.

• Praise 4

2009 Jan: when Cat B was $200, the demand of 1179 outnumbered the supply of 1099.

2009 Feb: when Cat A was $1020, the demand of 2077 outnumbered the supply of 1894.

2009 Feb: when Cat B was $689, the demand of 1231 outnumbered the supply of 1099.

Whoa!!! Bro Yo, you really super with the coe numbers! Really is power!

that means that economics may be more important than supply and demand factors?

When coe is 1k and demand still outnumbered supply meant that many thought the price would go even lower.

So its like the stock market, during slump, many want to wait for prices to go lower eventhough liquidity is there

• Praise 1