Retirement in Malaysia - how much RM a month for living?

5 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Sure boh?  55 is not young already leh....

but if any company wants to keep me going, maybe i should consider lah.  

Yes. Don't think i can do a 2 months road trip at 55. It is soon or never. 

But if any company wants to keep me until 65, it is hard to walk away.

Thought of slowing down but ironically, I myself won't hire someone wanting to step down for lesser pay. Life is such a bitch.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Yes. Don't think i can do a 2 months road trip at 55. It is soon or never. 

But if any company wants to keep me until 65, it is hard to walk away.

Thought of slowing down but ironically, I myself won't hire someone wanting to step down for lesser pay. Life is such a bitch.

How many more years to 55 for you?

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:15 PM, Voodooman said:

True.

Based on official retirement age, most of us will retire in my 60s, so who is going to la kopi with you if you retire early?  

I have always wanted to take a leisurely 2 months road trip across US/ Canada and perhaps Australia. So unless I take a long sabbatical, it is not going to happen. At 60 plus years old, doubt I have energy to drive long distance. 

Oops OT.

Agree with you during my late 30s I went on a 14 days self drive trip in a rented MPV with family of 5 in NZ. Around 3/4 of the trip I already feel very sian and boring liao.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Acewin said:

Agree with you during my late 30s I went on a 14 days self drive trip in a rented MPV with family of 5 in NZ. Around 3/4 of the trip I already feel very sian and boring liao.

Haha... Sound familiar, I went on a 16 days road trip last year with my family, after 10 days of rushing from place to place (max 3 nights stay), we were tired and longing for home.  

The trick is to slow down and incorporate a do nothing rest day every 5-6 days. Hence the 2 months timeline for USA/ Canada east to west road trip. 

• Praise 1

(edited)
35 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Haha... Sound familiar, I went on a 16 days road trip last year with my family, after 10 days of rushing from place to place (max 3 nights stay), we were tired and longing for home.  

The trick is to slow down and incorporate a do nothing rest day every 5-6 days. Hence the 2 months timeline for USA/ Canada east to west road trip. 

Okay got you will try for a slower pace once the travel restriction is lifted.

I guess this round I will try perth southwest region 10 days to cover Perth--Busselton--Margret River---Perbermton---Denmark---Albany--Perth.

Edited by Acewin
  • Praise 1

46 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

excitement overwhelmed, mentally exhausted [laugh]

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

I always try to have a flexble itinerary and not pack it in too much.

do it leisurely ,  instead cheong here and there like those planned tours.  

Its a holiday mah, take it easy lah...

• Haha! 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

I always try to have a flexble itinerary and not pack it in too much.

do it leisurely ,  instead cheong here and there like those planned tours.  

Its a holiday mah, take it easy lah...

i once had a 9-days trip in jeju ...  sibei shiok

spend a lot of free and easy time, eat, sleep, relax and pangsai (eat too much black pork)

most traveller said 3-days max for jeju ... lol

Edited by Wt_know

2 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

i once had a 9-days trip in jeju ...  sibei shiok

spend a lot of free and easy time, eat, sleep, relax and pangsai (eat too much black pork)

most traveller said 3-days max for jeju ... lol

Jeju really nothing to do 1 le.

9 days bored to death le

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Whilst most of the motels in NZ are very spacious and homely....... but every few days of unpacking and getting used to the beds/ kitchen equipment n even showers... lucky for me -  we were 2 couples with 2 kids each so it was not so boring but then again it was only a 12 day trip from North to South Island and we still had to skip quite a bit too    

• Praise 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Jeju really nothing to do 1 le.

9 days bored to death le

most people cover the south Seogwipo area only 3days max

9-days about right to see the island ... and i have been to jeju twice

just like people keep going back to tokyo and seoul and never feel bored ... 

same same but different ... each time got shiok ... lol

another island i keep going back is Kyushu ... saw on tv now got flood sibei jialat 😬

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

excitement overwhelmed, mentally exhausted [laugh]

Excitement fatigue?  Possible. 

Mentality exhausted? Never lab. Only money not enough. 😂

58 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Whilst most of the motels in NZ are very spacious and homely....... but every few days of unpacking and getting used to the beds/ kitchen equipment n even showers... lucky for me -  we were 2 couples with 2 kids each so it was not so boring but then again it was only a 12 day trip from North to South Island and we still had to skip quite a bit too    

12 days to cover north and south is pretty rush given the great distance. It means you have to pack and unpack almost every night.  😅

These days, we try not to do that anymore, min 2 nights stay is a rule as we try to do less. There was once we stayed 5 days in a mountainous area, cook most meals, chill and take short hikes. One of our best holidays. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
21 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

12 days to cover north and south is pretty rush given the great distance. It means you have to pack and unpack almost every night.  😅

These days, we try not to do that anymore, min 2 nights stay is a rule as we try to do less. There was once we stayed 5 days in a mountainous area, cook most meals, chill and take short hikes. One of our best holidays. 

We did usually 2 nights for most of the locations and yes we leftover some spots mostly in the Norlth island for a second 8 day trip which I did last year in winter ( short days)  but had to forgo the most challenging trek which was the Tangariro Alpine Crossing becos of inclement weather forecast & did not want to risk life or limb 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
39 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

yup I spent 3 wks in south island, including 1 week on stewart island. Already felt too rushed.

gotta find a balance between "going to places" and "spending time in places"

• Praise 2

I was toggling between Thailand (Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya) and Malaysia (KL or JB) to be my retiring nest at age 55.  In my early 40s, I took one year break from my career to live in Chiang Mai.  Bangkok is too crowded for me.  Pattaya is a little sleavy albeit cheaper than Bangkok.  After six months, I was quite bored already.  I have many friends in JB and I used to travel to JB very often since the Video Tape era.  At that time, holiday plaza was a hit for us.  I was also thinking about KL whereby I can enjoy similar standard of living at a lower cost.  Finally, I thught JB may be the best place for me.  Anything wrong, we can still return to Singapore. 

The Q now is how to stay in JB on a long term basis.  I often read Singaporeans are now queried by the immigration whenver they travelled back to Singapore after a three weeks plus stay in JB.  Some even denied entry and was told to get a proper visa.  MM2H is an option but it ties down our funds.  And recently, I read that MM2H has been suspended.  More than 90% of the submitted applications have been rejected.  Just like the MACS, god knows when they will bring it back.  I already bought properties in JB.  Gosh! 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, Voodooman said:

i actually miss eating asian foods in the cities. Cos the asian food in australia is ho jiak.
Vietnamese, Korean, Cantonese etc.

I don't like the meals in the outskirts haha [laugh]

To me if can 2 days in rural areas then back to city enjoy the makan, then repeat will be shiok! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1