Retirement in Malaysia - how much RM a month for living?

(edited)
45 minutes ago, Desperado1999 said:

KSL Shopping Mall.  It's a 3-BR unit with three sleeping rooms.  Thanks for the support!

How does it work? You lease to a master tenant who uses the apartment as an Airbnb? Is there revenue sharing with the master tenant? Or he/ she is acting more like an agent taking a cut?

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
18 hours ago, Desperado1999 said:

I was toggling between Thailand (Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya) and Malaysia (KL or JB) to be my retiring nest at age 55.  In my early 40s, I took one year break from my career to live in Chiang Mai.  Bangkok is too crowded for me.  Pattaya is a little sleavy albeit cheaper than Bangkok.  After six months, I was quite bored already. 

u lived in CM for 1 year? I was under impression that CM is only enjoyable during the winter months. Best to leave before burning (dry) season and return only after rainy season. That being said, a lot of expats still hang in there all year round.

The burning has been progressively getting worse over the past few years. More intense and starting earlier than before.

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

How does it work? You lease to a master tenant who uses the apartment as an Airbnb? Is there revenue sharing with the master tenant? Or he/ she is acting more like an agent taking a cut?

I tried both ways, rented out on fixed rent per month to someone who uses my unit for Airbnb and sub to agent to manage my unit for Airbnb while taking a cut.  The latter is difficult to trace sales and expenses and more uncertainties.

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Shibadog said:

u lived in CM for 1 year? I was under impression that CM is only enjoyable during the winter months. Best to leave before burning (dry) season and return only after rainy season. That being said, a lot of expats still hang in there all year round.

The burning has been progressively getting worse over the past few years. More intense and starting earlier than before.

You are absolutely right!  The summer period is freaking hot while the winter time can be so cold especially in the early morning.

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Desperado1999 said:

I tried both ways, rented out on fixed rent per month to someone who uses my unit for Airbnb and sub to agent to manage my unit for Airbnb while taking a cut.  The latter is difficult to trace sales and expenses and more uncertainties.

Thanks for sharing. KSL should be a weekend destination for SGeans.  

Just curious, how is the yield before Covid?  Only if you are comfortable to share.

Turbocharged
22 minutes ago, Desperado1999 said:

You are absolutely right!  The summer period is freaking hot while the winter time can be so cold especially in the early morning.

During the past few years, I spent a few weeks during the winter months roaming around in north thai (CM, CR, MHS). Loved it. Morning temps in the hills got as low as 8degC but rises quickly abt 1hr after sun rise. Then got sunburnt in the afternoon [laugh]

16 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

During the past few years, I spent a few weeks during the winter months roaming around in north thai (CM, CR, MHS). Loved it. Morning temps in the hills got as low as 8degC but rises quickly abt 1hr after sun rise. Then got sunburnt in the afternoon [laugh]

I have not been to MHS, is it more ulu than CR?  You travel alone?

39 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Thanks for sharing. KSL should be a weekend destination for SGeans.  

Just curious, how is the yield before Covid?  Only if you are comfortable to share.

KSL is indeed a weekend destination for SGeans and also during PHs.  Rest of the days are for locals.  Almost all weekends are fully booked.  Nov and Dec booking is near 100%.  Rest of the holidays and PHs about 80%.  Normal months like Jan is below 50%. LWE if there is a PH that falls on Moday or Friday is definitely 100% booked and at a higher rate. 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Desperado1999 said:

I have not been to MHS, is it more ulu than CR?  You travel alone?

CR province attracts a lot more tourists - both domestic and foreign - than MHS (the exception being Pai). I was shocked by the crowds at Pha Tang and Pu Chi Fa. Mae Sai is also quite crowded. Golden Triangle was full of PRC tourists.

For MHS province, apart from Pai, its mainly locals. Relatively few mini buses carrying tourists or on rental scooters/bikes. Even in MHS town, it doesn't seem that crowded. I guess the remoteness keeps tourists groups away. The development of the province is in line with the tourist numbers. Pai is the exception, the sore thumb that sticks out. I didn't enjoy Pai at all. I prefer the other towns like Sop Pong and Mae Sariang.

yep went alone. Drove up from Singapore.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Desperado1999 said:

I bought two properties in JB, one for my staycation as I travelled to JB every weekend and during PHs.  The other property I used it for Airbnb, not bad actually.  Due to covid-19, the property was returned to me as the tenant said no business due to MCO imposed by Malaysia.

Covid19 slowly will pass and ur Airbnb unit will have yields again. Meanwhile perhaps can consider try get a 1-2yrs lease for the unit. Yield will be low but better than zero?

RTS outcome will be interesting. I see RTS as a catalyst for Johor property market. I suppose both your properties are Freehold, time is on your side.  Good luck to u. 😉

• Praise 1

On 7/7/2020 at 3:11 PM, Eric3417 said:

Covid19 slowly will pass and ur Airbnb unit will have yields again. Meanwhile perhaps can consider try get a 1-2yrs lease for the unit. Yield will be low but better than zero?

RTS outcome will be interesting. I see RTS as a catalyst for Johor property market. I suppose both your properties are Freehold, time is on your side.  Good luck to u. 😉

Thanks bro, I also hope so.  KSL is one of the few properties located in town that are FH.  Most properties in town are 99 years lease especially those located near Woodland custom.

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

chey I thought RM3K <_<

$3K vs $53K ... sinkies would shout sibei fcking cheap ah! simi steal ....

F95CBCB7-A697-4E7F-9393-C44B551CE952.jpeg

Edited by Wt_know

5 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

$3k can only rent mickey mouse condo in spore ... penang huat ah!

Yah somemore real waterfront le

in sg the cheapest waterfront will be facing longkang haha

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Yah somemore real waterfront le

in sg the cheapest waterfront will be facing longkang haha

Yes agree in Singapore context its facing river in e.g those in Sengkang or Punggol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1