Retirement in Malaysia - how much RM a month for living?

Supercharged
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Penangite speaks mandarin with a diff twang.  Penangite speaks hokkien with Siam twang.

Once you open mouth, confirm know you are not Penangite.

Doesn't matter....still same same.

AM also talk with different accent. Still, they all happy together at Robertson Quay

13 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Penang got good hospital so u die later than u retire in kuantan lol

retirement is not only about having a good view of beach but need good medical facilities. Most of the times u will be visiting doctor than visiting beach😂

Yes. I agree beach is overrated.

KL should have the best medical facilities given most of the political and business elites are residing there. It is however 1 hour by flight to SG and 2 hours by train (if they build the HSR, big IF), so better to come back to SG for subsided care.  Lol....

• Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

KL should have the best medical facilities given most of the political and business elites are residing there. It is however 1 hour by flight to SG and 2 hours by train (if they build the HSR, big IF), so better to come back to SG for subsided care.  Lol....

Best stay here 5 mins from sg, got beach, got hospital, got school, got many ‘chinese’ lol

wait few more years should have fire sale or rent 2 befder for 500rm per month🤪

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, serenade said:

About retiring to MY. Have to accept that security will never be as good as SG and always be on look out for robberies. Yes, we can own a nicer car in  MY than SG for the same money. But driving that car is some districts is like hanging a sign that says "Rob Me". 

All my my friends except for Penang drive low key cars so as not to attract attention. Penang island is safer. As for homes that are neither gated nor condo, break-ins are always a threat. Armed robberies less so. If the house grilled, they break in through the roof tiles. Can alarm, but who will respond? 

When you are overseas and house is unattended, the thief will break in through the roof. Steal portable valuables, then drive away  in the expensive car. Remember that they have the remote and can open the gate after breaking in.    

Hear say is that Johore is the worst state. Eat dinner in garden with the gate locked also can get robbed at knife point.

U can put some layers in ur roof tile so when they open roof tile they will be surprised to see few more layers inside😂🙈

batam house alot do that cos batam got alot santa claus

Penang has good medical facilities. Certain hospital (need to check) allow claim against medisave.

https://www.parkwaypantai.com/hospitals/malaysia

From KL, it’s minimum 45mins drive to KLIA (distance + jam).

I took coach from 1 Utama to Novena 6 hrs.

• Praise 1

39 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Penang has good medical facilities. Certain hospital (need to check) allow claim against medisave.

https://www.parkwaypantai.com/hospitals/malaysia

From KL, it’s minimum 45mins drive to KLIA (distance + jam).

I took coach from 1 Utama to Novena 6 hrs.

If they build HSR, I may buy a unit at KL HSR station (should be an integrated development).  Can be in SG in 1-2 hours. 

With Pavillon KL selling for RM1800 psf, this one should be cheaper.  Then can enjoy KL's cost of living, relatively good quality of life with a big hinterland and yet be "close" to home. 

I looked at Pavillon KL last year but all my KL kakis swear they don't want to stay in Bukit Bintang area. They all like their Mont Kiara, Bangsar, etc.

Why har? 

1 hour ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Best stay here 5 mins from sg, got beach, got hospital, got school, got many ‘chinese’ lol

wait few more years should have fire sale or rent 2 befder for 500rm per month🤪

Living in Forest City, you will need to venture into JB for shopping and food, JB is not remotely anywhere near a world class city. Safety is already a concern.

To move to Forest City for seafront living @RM1,500 psf, I rather stay in a nice HDB in Bishan. 

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

If they build HSR, I may buy a unit at KL HSR station (should be an integrated development).  Can be in SG in 1-2 hours. 

With Pavillon KL selling for RM1800 psf, this one should be cheaper.  Then can enjoy KL's cost of living, relatively good quality of life with a big hinterland and yet be "close" to home. 

I looked at Pavillon KL last year but all my KL kakis swear they don't want to stay in Bukit Bintang area. They all like their Mont Kiara, Bangsar, etc.

Why har? 

Staying in Pavilion is no diff from staying in Shenton Way.

For Bangsar, depends which part.

For me, Desa Park City is a good choice. No need get out. Inside got Aeon & Jaya Grocer.

Since it is near Kepong, can eat from Breakfast to Supper.

Since retired, take 3pm bus arrive Singapore 9pm. Zzzzzzz

From Desa Park City to 1U less than 30mins.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Staying in Pavilion is no diff from staying in Shenton Way.

For Bangsar, depends which part.

For me, Desa Park City is a good choice. No need get out. Inside got Aeon & Jaya Grocer.

Since it is near Kepong, can eat from Breakfast to Supper.

Since retired, take 3pm bus arrive Singapore 9pm. Zzzzzzz

From Desa Park City to 1U less than 30mins.

Not Shenton Way lah, more like Orchard Road. 

• Praise 2

20 hours ago, NightWind said:

Y Penang only? Kuantan  n Cherating also has nice beaches n u can drive your S class to sg too.

Actually  koh Samui has even nicer n cheaper landed beach villas with pool, n u can drive from there too.

The beach in Penang really not so nice when i was there....

True, Penang beaches are not nice. It is situated along the Straits of Malacca, water will be as dirty as Singapore’s.

Kuantan and Cherating may have better beaches but you don’t want to be there during the Northeast Monsoon. Floods can be very bad. 

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Why har? 

Owned  a 2k sqft apartment there for 6 years  , buy when SG to RM @ 2.3 at 1,600 psf . Enjoyed the guaranteed rental of 7% for 2 years , thereafter , cannot even get SGD 2.5 k per quarter for rental ... 

Took me almost 1 year to get rid of it and i was lucky enough to sell to one of my own friend at RM1k psf when exchange rate was 2.9 lo . Still have to givehim interest free instalments for 50% of the amount for 3 years hor .. 

You will know when you look at the 2 towers say at around 7-8 pm , less than 10% of the apartments will be lighted ... 

Even when i am KL during those years , i rather stay opposite at Westin lo ... 

Also , Pavilion is leasehold hor ... 

Was looking at Mont Kiara and Pavilion and stupidly decided on Pavilion lo ...

One of my worst property buys ever !! 

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 3

Why har? 

Pavilion too crowded and jam, its a mini middle east. even my KL friend shun away and don’t want visit bb unless necessary

Desa park city indeed better 

• Praise 1

Just now, Thaiyotakamli said:

Pavilion too crowded and jam, its a mini middle east. even my KL friend shun away and don’t want visit bb unless necessary
Desa park city indeed better 

DPC is a gated community ma. From Bungalow to Condo.

Bungalow is on hilltop.

The only problem is it is very far away from downtown KL

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Hubwee said:

Owned  a 2k sqft apartment there for 6 years  , buy when SG to RM @ 2.3 at 1,600 psf . Enjoyed the guaranteed rental of 7% for 2 years , thereafter , cannot even get SGD 2.5 k per quarter for rental ... 

Took me almost 1 year to get rid of it and i was lucky enough to sell to one of my own friend at RM1k psf when exchange rate was 2.9 lo . Still have to givehim interest free instalments for 50% of the amount for 3 years hor .. 

You will know when you look at the 2 towers say at around 7-8 pm , less than 10% of the apartments will be lighted ... 

Even when i am KL during those years , i rather stay opposite at Westin lo ... 

Also , Pavilion is leasehold hor ... 

Was looking at Mont Kiara and Pavilion and stupidly decided on Pavilion lo ...

One of my worst property buys ever !! 

Thanks for sharing.

I was told to avoid as well but I find it puzzling, you are staying right smack in the center of a prime shopping / entertainment district (Pavillon is better than our Ngee Ann City, IMHO) with lots of good food, restaurants and drinking holes nearby (my regular foot massage place is also within walking distance) and with the MRT at your door step (can get to KL Sendral and on to KLIA Express), it is very good location.  The only thing is it is leasehold, which the Msian Chinese can never get their head around and of course, the bloody traffic. Haha...

Apparently, what we prized highly here are not attributes fought after by the Msians in MY.

I usually stay at Marriott while in KL, love the location. 

Edited by Voodooman

Supercharged
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Thanks for sharing.

I was told to avoid as well but I find it puzzling, you are staying right smack in the center of a prime shopping / entertainment district (Pavillon is better than our Ngee Ann City, IMHO) with lots of good food, restaurants and drinking holes nearby (my regular foot massage place is also within walking distance) and with the MRT at your door step (can get to KL Sendral and on to KLIA Express), it is very good location.  The only thing is it is leasehold, which the Msian Chinese can never get their head around and of course, the bloody traffic. Haha...

Apparently, what we prized highly here are not attributes fought after by the Msians in MY.

Dun have much commercial offices around that area except maybe IMC building which the friend i sold the house to has an office there .

So wanting to rent out to expats also difficult . 

Bansar got alot more offices so renting out is easy . Lots of Japs and Korean companies around that area . 

Traffic is a bitch there at any hours but seems to have improved slightly after the start of their city train .  

Yes , Pavilion location is really good , but for tourists lo ... not for self stay or rental . 

Edited by Hubwee
  • Praise 4

(edited)
7 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Thanks for sharing.

Yes thats right. 

What we prized highly here are not attributes fought after by the malaysians in MY.

Luxurious condos are for foreigners only.

the only way to sell a luxury condo is to another foreigner becos malaysians wont buy them, they much prefer land.  

And guess what, when you buy a luxury condo in KL, you will find it very hard to sell becos, there will be a newer better one by the time you are looking to sell yours and no rich foreigner would want to pay top dollar to buy a second hand luxury condo when he can buy a new one for essentially the same price.

getting out of that market without a loss is the luckiest bet already

If you dig the archives on the propery thread, i explained it more than once and advised strongly against.  Had a friend who didnt listen and bought OneKLCC many years ago. But the developer is a friend so in a way he bought to give her face.  

Took more than 5 yrs to let go, at a loss. Unit left empty becos he didnt want to rent it and risk damage.  Never been used. Just pay maintenance fees every month.  

Good thing he is f**king rich.  In the end admit to me that he shouldnt have bought it.  Muayhahah

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1