Jump to content

Retirement in Malaysia - how much RM a month for living?


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, NightWind said:

Tks bro. I wont buy Beach front, only sea view as global warming will flood beach front villas in afew yrs

Same same as long as got sea breeze.

I used to stay in Lagoon View.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Same same as long as got sea breeze.

I used to stay in Lagoon View.

This is also why i favour Koh Samui as the island is quite hilly n many villas r on hill top overlooking the sea. U get the pano view n breeze n also the safety from floods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NightWind said:

This is also why i favour Koh Samui as the island is quite hilly n many villas r on hill top overlooking the sea. U get the pano view n breeze n also the safety from floods.

You buy hilltop villa and it becomes beachfront villa in 10 years. Could be best investment of the century. Haha.

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Haha... I am the opposite, after I retire, I don't want to do gardening, to cut grass and clean house. I want to read, surf net, eat good food, exercise/ hike, la kopi with friends and most of all, travel. 

And there will come a day where I will no longer be as mobile and driving may not be fun anymore as can't see very well. So connectivity and access to facilities will be important.

Maybe i should just buy a HDB and retire in SG. Will have lots of old people to hang out with at kopithiam or void deck.  Lol...

     Can retire peacefully w/o much indulgence, what I really want is to own an HDB 3rooms flat after retirement, be simple and no fanfare, i believe there are alternative option where to get affordable housing. I have the ability to outsource good liveable habitat plus I'm pretty good at handwork skill sets which i can apply to cooking, baking or drawing and creativity of Art or ppl with special skill in training and development in speaking, mentoring and development. ( not necessary in enjoyment ) after one retirement or semi-retired. Our brain cell must NOT stop working, some do reading or gardening of organic farming of holistic approach, or even learning to play a guitar or harmonica. . . this can leads to new idea of venture later . . .[:p]

  • Praise 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Meanmachine said:

     Can retire peacefully w/o much indulgence, what I really want is to own an HDB 3rooms flat after retirement, be simple and no fanfare, i believe there are alternative option where to get affordable housing. I have the ability to outsource good liveable habitat plus I'm pretty good at handwork skill sets which i can apply to cooking, baking or drawing and creativity of Art or ppl with special skill in training and development in speaking, mentoring and development. ( not necessary in enjoyment ) after one retirement or semi-retired. Our brain cell must NOT stop working, some do reading or gardening of organic farming of holistic approach, or even learning to play a guitar or harmonica. . . this can leads to new idea of venture later . . .[:p]

Sorry but most will not want to retire here due to very high cost of living. This is the worlds most expensive country for 5years running.

What u pay for your HDB will easily get u a nice landed pool villa in Koh Samui or Lombok.  U can return to sg periodically for health care n cpf but once u stop work, retirement here is at basic subsistence level for most of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

I'd rather stay in singapore in a hdb flat TBH. If i want to go holiday, then just go lor.

It's the social connections that make retirement palatable. Unless your whole family and friend networks emigrate with you.

Well whatever lah, but always make sure u have a small hdb/apartment waiting for you back in SG.

 

  • Praise 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I'd rather stay in singapore in a hdb flat TBH. If i want to go holiday, then just go lor.

It's the social connections that make retirement palatable. Unless your whole family and friend networks emigrate with you.

Well whatever lah, but always make sure u have a small hdb/apartment waiting for you back in SG.

 

some people like to surround with family and friends and familiar environments, some people like to get away and be alone or just with the love ones. 

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

I'd rather stay in singapore in a hdb flat TBH. If i want to go holiday, then just go lor.

It's the social connections that make retirement palatable. Unless your whole family and friend networks emigrate with you.

Well whatever lah, but always make sure u have a small hdb/apartment waiting for you back in SG.

 

Yes. I share the same views.

Really up to individuals cos not all value the said connections. Some may actually want to retire far far away from family, friends and be "free" to do what one has always dream of or explore. 

Life so short and fragile. In a blink of an eye, all can be gone. Enjoy, be happy and live life responsibily. 

Once gone, nothing really matters anyways. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the time, ppl like to retire in a familiar environment.

To move out of unfamiliar environment to retire is not an easy decision.  Especially so when you are 60+.

The best advice is from T2.  Rent a place to try it out 1st for a few mths.

  • Praise 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I'd rather stay in singapore in a hdb flat TBH. If i want to go holiday, then just go lor.

It's the social connections that make retirement palatable. Unless your whole family and friend networks emigrate with you.

Well whatever lah, but always make sure u have a small hdb/apartment waiting for you back in SG.

 

Thats very true. But i was not proposing migrating there. The villa is a 2nd holiday retirement retreat.

Main home will still be in sg.

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 5:43 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

Why no one want to stay ard genting? More cooling and better view

I was thinking of staying at Gohtong Jaya ( one of those apartments ) few years back. Everyday can be at casino just to make some makan money. Now since need to do grandpa duties, have given up the idea.

  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Most of the time, ppl like to retire in a familiar environment.

To move out of unfamiliar environment to retire is not an easy decision.  Especially so when you are 60+.

The best advice is from T2.  Rent a place to try it out 1st for a few mths.

It is not the house or the car, it is family, friends and kopi kakis...

Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, Luckcent said:

I was thinking of staying at Gohtong Jaya ( one of those apartments ) few years back. Everyday can be at casino just to make some makan money. Now since need to do grandpa duties, have given up the idea.

Haha quite nice live ard that area many new apartment coming up. Can take bus or drive car up genting play slot machine

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
(edited)

End of the day all this so called planning for retirement is a good discussion but it all comes back to what age you going to retire 55,60,65,70?? ; considering that 83-84 is the average age most Sinkies can live to and beyond;  how’s your n most importantly spouse health ( mobility) and she willing to tow on your lofty utopian dreams    ; your family/ friends attachment here ...... for me I’d just go for a week long break and come back to Sg to catch up ..... it’s just me and I have my kaki Lang’s for TCSS sessions just doing nothing .....but that’s me 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
9 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Most of the time, ppl like to retire in a familiar environment.

To move out of unfamiliar environment to retire is not an easy decision.  Especially so when you are 60+.

The best advice is from T2.  Rent a place to try it out 1st for a few mths.

This is true. If you are retired,say you wake up middle of the night with chest pain or breathless (very common among elderly) and your grownup kids are all in a different country..  Who u gonna call? 

  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Karoon said:

This is true. If you are retired,say you wake up middle of the night with chest pain or breathless (very common among elderly) and your grownup kids are all in a different country..  Who u gonna call? 

@RadX:grin:

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...