Malaysian PM Najib Sues DAP Leader Tony Pua

Boringchap

Malaysia’s PM more powerful than US president, MP claims

0ff1cd80-b56b-11e3-8c55-d3951aa0cb0a_Mal

PETALING JAYA, April 28 — Malaysia's prime minister is more powerful than the US president in terms of institutional strength because the head of state here can “ignore” Parliament unlike the Congress in America, a DAP lawmaker said today.

At a forum here, Kluang MP Liew Chin Tong pointed out that the US Congress has the power to shut down the government and to reject any Bill pushed by the president.

In Malaysia, however, Liew alleged that Parliament comes under the prime minister’s “thumb”.

One example, he said, is how the prime minister is allowed to decide alone how to use the discretionary funds under the Prime Minister’s department.

"The Malaysian prime minister is more powerful than the US president in terms of institutional strength," Liew told the forum titled "The Malaysian Parliament: Reforms and Barriers" at the Jeffrey Cheah Institute on Southeast Asia at Sunway University here.

"Here in Malaysia, the prime minister can ignore Parliament. He has Parliament under his thumb," he added.

Liew called for more parliamentary committees to oversee the administration.

The opposition lawmaker also said committees in Parliament should have their own staff so that they do not have to be headed by government ministers who have secretarial employees.

Ivanpal S. Grewal, political secretary to Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Mah Siew Keong, told the forum that federal opposition pact Pakatan Rakyat (PR) should form a shadow Cabinet.

"That's the first step to institutional reform," he said.

"I agree on the need for committees. Maybe this can start in Kelantan, Penang and Selangor," Ivanpal added, referring to the states under PR rule.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

more $$ coming in [bounce2][bounce2]

Malaysia's 1MDB secures $1 bln from Abu Dhabi fund ahead of loan deadline
KUALA LUMPUR
May 29 Malaysia's state fund 1Malaysia Development (1MDB) has signed a deal securing $1 billion in funding from Abu Dhabi's International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) and its Aabar Investments unit ahead of a June 4 deadline to repay a loan to an international bank syndicate.
Malaysia's finance ministry said in a statement on Friday that the amount will be used to repay a $975 million loan to the syndicate in advance of the due date. Securing the funds marks a major milestone in plans to restructure loss-making 1MDB.
"This agreement marks a significant step towards reducing 1MDB's overall debt levels, and is a crucial part of the rationalisation plan I presented to cabinet earlier (Friday)," deputy finance minister Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah said in a statement.
The government official said the ministry expects plans to restructure 1MDB to be implemented "in full by early next year".

Turbocharged

KUALA LUMPUR
Malaysia's finance ministry said in a statement on Friday that the amount will be used to repay a $975 million loan to the syndicate in advance of the due date. Securing the funds marks a major milestone in plans to restructure loss-making 1MDB.
"This agreement marks a significant step towards reducing 1MDB's overall debt levels, and is a crucial part of the rationalisation plan I presented to cabinet earlier (Friday)," deputy finance minister Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah said in a statement.

I must be missing something. Digging a hole and use what is dug up to fill another hole, perhaps at even higher interest, is called a significant step towards reducing overall debt levels?

• Praise 1

more $$ coming in [bounce2][bounce2]

KUALA LUMPUR
May 29 Malaysia's state fund 1Malaysia Development (1MDB) has signed a deal securing $1 billion in funding from Abu Dhabi's International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) and its Aabar Investments unit ahead of a June 4 deadline to repay a loan to an international bank syndicate.
The government official said the ministry expects plans to restructure 1MDB to be implemented "in full by early next year".

Hur .....,

Borrow from Abu Dhabi's to pay loan to the syndicate.......

Then what about the 1 billion deal ???? No need to pay back ... :slow:

I must be missing something. Digging a hole and use what is dug up to fill another hole, perhaps at even higher interest, is called a significant step towards reducing overall debt levels?

The fact that 1MDB can secure $1B from lenders is a shot of confidence to its credibility and stability.

Not saying that I agree, but this is the message.

• Praise 1

(edited)

the bigger message is 1MDB is not able to repay it's loan and now "desperate" to borrow more ...

it's GREECE in the making

The fact that 1MDB can secure $1B from lenders is a shot of confidence to its credibility and stability.

Not saying that I agree, but this is the message.

Edited by Wt_know

the bigger message is 1MDB is not able to repay it's loan and now "desperate" to borrow more ...

it's GREECE in the making

It's ok, borrow as much as possible .......... :secret-laugh:

If they can't pay back after huge debt, sell East MY (Sabah & Sarawak) to Singapore ... [smash]

Hypersonic

I fully support Najib.

He has nothing to do with the Mongolian model's death.

And he is innocent of all charges at 1MDB.

Najib is the best PM Boleh land every had. [thumbsup]

:D

Hypersonic

Why can't you people just leave that Mr Najib alone.

Yes you Dr M and Mr Tony Pua.

Mr Najib is a very nice man. [thumbsup]

post-23002-0-15944700-1432903264.jpg

Why can't you people just leave that Mr Najib alone.

Yes you Dr M and Mr Tony Pua.

Mr Najib is a very nice man. [thumbsup]

ha ha ha, both of them have something in common.... not just the names..... but "the joker" by profession :) as well...

• Praise 1

(edited)

so much talking about vision 2020 and simi msia 11th plan ...

while their currency is going back to 1998 ...

i'm worry about the JV between spore-msia for the high speed rail project ...

http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/malaysian-ringgit-could-plunge-1998-levels-if-1mdb-debt-unpaid-second-finance-minister?singlepage=true

post-7984-0-19553600-1433409478_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

so much talking about vision 2020 and simi msia 11th plan ...

while their currency is going back to 1998 ...

i'm worry about the JV between spore-msia for the high speed rail project ...

http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/malaysian-ringgit-could-plunge-1998-levels-if-1mdb-debt-unpaid-second-finance-minister?singlepage=true

if soros comes back, how?

mahathir-Soros.jpeg

Edited by Mustank

(edited)

Malaysian politicians BOLEH!!!!!

Thanks for running your country into the ground... (and making us look good)

last time our banks got lend money to indon and MY companies

when SEA fell, we were pulled along

now i donno how much our banks got lend money to SEA companies

Edited by Mustank
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1