New 5th Generation Honda Stepwagon

Carbon82

Neutral Newbie

Hi there,

Could I check what are the bulb sizes for the interior lightings and for the rear reverse and turn signal bulbs? Thanks

↡ Advertisement

On 6/8/2020 at 10:10 AM, Heartlander said:

Taken from the honda Steppie website:

https://www.honda.co.jp/STEPWGN/webcatalog/performance/driving/

img_low_center_of_gravity.thumb.png.7a976b4db0d1a9056e98cb769f8bbbdc.png

Comfort and peace of mind in various scenes every day.‎

‎Honda's original low center of gravity design, which is hard to get wobbly in curves.‎

‎By lowering the center of gravity position of the car, it realizes excellent steering stability that is hard to wobble even when driving at curves or high speed.‎

Compare to Vellfire which was a shock when going over multiple humps at an angle at carpark gantry, the Steppie handles it much much better due to lower CG design. The lower seating height definitely helps. The car is heavy at 1700kg and with low CG design, not so affected like the rest of minivans when it comes to cornering. I have done cornering at similar speed with my B180, difference is there definitely there but not that much, but you will not surely feel the car is toppling over haha. But of course it is still a tall family car, so not really wise to do that.

I have owned my Steppie for more than 4 months, still getting excited everyday driving it. Would like to share a few things I observed:

1) With regard to stability, which many rightfully worry after seeing the tall stance, I would think it is not so bad at all. The car does not wobble so much like a Vellfire/Alphard when going over hump, and driving it over sharp curves is not as bad as would perceive. I have been driving down the ECP over Sheares Bridge towards Suntec city without pressing brake pedal since my previous ride B180 so had been curious after collecting this ride if safe enough to do the same. I would drive along the ECP up the Sheares Bridge and let go of pedals at highest point of the bridge at 60km/hr then let the car slide down without pressing brake relying only on engine brake, with my foot hovering above the brake pedal of course for any remedial action in case. The car would pick up speed as it hurdle  down the curving slope till it reached about 80km/hr before it reaches flat land just beside Suntec City entrance on the right. Must be safety minded of course with proper car maintenance and tyres, with no cars immediately infront or beside you. Steppie can sure perform this trick without breaking any sweat.

2) With regard to FC, have been getting 550km to 600km with 50L of petrol, manual calculation. Really blow my mind that this much bigger and heavier ride can beat 2015 B180 as it could return only less than 500km with close to 50L of petrol. And I have not been driving gently, but going over 100km/hr frequently without realizing it on expressways. And I have only selected eco mode for a tank of petrol to try out. It sure feel like driving a different car with reduced power, you will feel smoother ride but do not have raw power as the rpm will not go beyond 2000 unless you press the accelerator pedal very hard. Can get about 40km per tank, but I feel the drive not so enjoyable any more. I might use it more if can return 20& more mileage, but not for now.

3) As for safety features, it blows my mind with its Honda Sensing features. Definitely working is what I would say. When stop at traffic lights, I will be alerted if the front car takes off. When driving on expressway, the steering wheel will try hard to steer itself back if I try to change lane without signaling. So it is trying to train me to be a safer driver haha. 

4) As for space, definitely the best feature for a family car. So spacious and functional. It can fit 7pax but in its element with 6 pax. It definitely has lesser interior space than a Vellfire owned before, but in return it is so much faster and easier to manouvre when parking, not to mention much much better FC.

5) With a fully digitized dashboard, the ride does not come with any conventional meters but with digital readouts. Honda really ahead of its time as this is kind of virtual cockpit, though without possibility to customize the display. When engaging reverse gear, you can even choose to show the front wheel alignment on dashboard to ensure the wheels are straightened after reversing into a parking lot. How neat.

I would think owning a Vellfire/Alphard is the top choice for most MPV owners but it come with so much compromises. This category of cars such as Steppie, Serena, Triplets, Biante, etc, can provide so much more but with lesser of the issues with owning one. Hope to see more people own one of these rides, not necessarily must be Steppie haha.

• Praise 2

On 8/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, Wstan said:

Hi there,

Could I check what are the bulb sizes for the interior lightings and for the rear reverse and turn signal bulbs? Thanks

I would get package deal from established brand such as Share Style if I keen to replace the interior lights to LED type. Abit ex though. For my current ride I have not proceeded to change yet as thinking is quite bright already. The procedure to change the cabin lights are as attached in next 2 videos. Very easy to do. You can follow the procedure to pry the enclosures open to check out the lamp types if really no ready answers.

https://shopping.yahoo.co.jp/search?rkf=2&p=share+style+ステップワゴンrp3&uIv=on&first=1&ei=utf-8&seller=1&stp=1&spro_storeid=ss-style8&spro_itemcd=ss-style8_ss-led-roomser-stepwgnspadarp&sc_e=sydr_sspdspro_2514_statgue&__ysp=c2hhcmUgc3R5bGUg44K544OG44OD44OX44Ov44K044OzcnAz

Alternatively can get from Yahho Japan though more troublesome but cheaper:

https://shopping.yahoo.co.jp/search?first=1&tab_ex=commerce&fr=shp-prop&oq=&aq=&mcr=e17efd3bcf50cb33389c816410373b01&ts=1597065799&p=ステップワゴン ルームランプ&cid=&pf=&pt=&area=13&dlv=&sc_i=shp_pc_top_searchBox_2&sretry=1

AliExpress only can find for reverse lights and turn lights but not sure if can fit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000522571203.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.15.1f526732ttPOhK&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.177931.0&scm_id=1007.13338.177931.0&scm-url=1007.13338.177931.0&pvid=3eb502f0-f497-4c3c-9bb4-ecb5c0659902&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.13338.177931.0,pvid:3eb502f0-f497-4c3c-9bb4-ecb5c0659902,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2375_668%23808%235965%23560_668%23888%233325%232_3338%230%23177931%230_3338%233142%239890%237_668%232846%238116%23999_668%232717%237561%23398_668%231000022185%231000066058%230_668%233422%2315392%2351

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000820049618.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.25.1f526732ttPOhK&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.177931.0&scm_id=1007.13338.177931.0&scm-url=1007.13338.177931.0&pvid=3eb502f0-f497-4c3c-9bb4-ecb5c0659902&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.13338.177931.0,pvid:3eb502f0-f497-4c3c-9bb4-ecb5c0659902,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2375_668%23808%235965%23560_668%23888%233325%232_3338%230%23177931%230_3338%233142%239890%237_668%232846%238116%23999_668%232717%237561%23398_668%231000022185%231000066058%230_668%233422%2315392%2351

I am sure if you try hard enough, can get the package deals cheap at certain sites like Amazon or ebay but must put in efforts to search lah.

Below is an example:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/【シェアスタイル】ステップワゴン-ステップワゴンスパーダ-LEDルームランプセット-RP1-G・B・SPADA_カーテシ白/dp/B010ABNI3O

Edited by Heartlander
extra info
  • Praise 1

To be exact, the century sprint for the petrol engine variant stepwagon is 8.18sec according to this video which was released soon after launching of the model. Should be among the fastest full-size MPV despite the relatively lower price tag of about $125k. Honda brand some more haha. Facelifted in 2018 with improved exterior look and safety features.

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi stepwgnRP3,

I read your Blitz Power Con installation and find it intriguing. 
I PM you for further talk, pls check you message box. 

Thanks,

Chris

Neutral Newbie

Hi stepwgnRP3,

I read your Blitz Power Con installation and find it intriguing. 
I PM you for further talk, pls check you message box. 

Thanks,

Chris

On 8/10/2020 at 10:29 PM, Heartlander said:

To be exact, the century sprint for the petrol engine variant stepwagon is 8.18sec according to this video which was released soon after launching of the model. Should be among the fastest full-size MPV despite the relatively lower price tag of about $125k. Honda brand some more haha. Facelifted in 2018 with improved exterior look and safety features.

Bro, your Stepwagon got any rear aircon blowers? Each row got one? Got individual row aircon controls or not? Does it get hot in the back on a road trip up to Malaysia? I really like the outlook of the Stepwagon and the clever rear seats...

9 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Bro, your Stepwagon got any rear aircon blowers? Each row got one? Got individual row aircon controls or not? Does it get hot in the back on a road trip up to Malaysia? I really like the outlook of the Stepwagon and the clever rear seats...

Glad you can accept the shape of the car haha. Yes there are 2 rows of aircon vents above the windows on each side of the car. I got the car in late March so never have chance to drive up North yet. Would have done that multiple time if not due to this lockdown haha. But I am pleasantly surprised by the aircon in this Honda ride. Never own a Honda before and the aircon quite cold. I always set to 24 degree celsius infront and fan speed number 1. With so many aircon vents in a car no need to worry lah.

This car is really VFM with the list of smart features that stretch very long, notably such as full LED headlights and fog lights, side beams when turning, working safety features, storage spaces galore, hooks galore for hanging things, fully and individually-collapsible 3rd row seats using just 1 finger, waku waku door, 1.5L turbo engine that can do 8.2s century sprint yet road tax friendly and returning 550 km per tank of petrol (abt 11km/L). The car has been around for a few years, facelifted in 2018, so far no recall for last 2 years. 

If you keen, pay a visit to Prime Cars in Ubi Automart to see and touch a demo car there. The big showroom at ground level got all the triplets variants also if you keen to see see look look for comparison. The sales staff not so pushy from my personal experience and there are so many cars in the showroom to see and touch machiam a candy store. Just tell any approaching staff that you prefer to have some personal time to look at the Steppie and will approach him/her if keen to discuss later on. They will most likely leave you alone. Rest assured I am not a staff there but just to share a lobang to see the car in flesh haha. Other PIs around all very pushy and will swarm around you even after you indicate that you prefer to be left alone. You can also visit the Nissan showroom just beside the place to go see Serena and do test drive. Can do it all in 1 weekend afternoon to see if this type of minivan is for you and your family.

• Praise 2

46 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Glad you can accept the shape of the car haha. Yes there are 2 rows of aircon vents above the windows on each side of the car. I got the car in late March so never have chance to drive up North yet. Would have done that multiple time if not due to this lockdown haha. But I am pleasantly surprised by the aircon in this Honda ride. Never own a Honda before and the aircon quite cold. I always set to 24 degree celsius infront and fan speed number 1. With so many aircon vents in a car no need to worry lah.

This car is really VFM with the list of smart features that stretch very long, notably such as full LED headlights and fog lights, side beams when turning, working safety features, storage spaces galore, hooks galore for hanging things, fully and individually-collapsible 3rd row seats using just 1 finger, waku waku door, 1.5L turbo engine that can do 8.2s century sprint yet road tax friendly and returning 550 km per tank of petrol (abt 11km/L). The car has been around for a few years, facelifted in 2018, so far no recall for last 2 years. 

If you keen, pay a visit to Prime Cars in Ubi Automart to see and touch a demo car there. The big showroom at ground level got all the triplets variants also if you keen to see see look look for comparison. The sales staff not so pushy from my personal experience and there are so many cars in the showroom to see and touch machiam a candy store. Just tell any approaching staff that you prefer to have some personal time to look at the Steppie and will approach him/her if keen to discuss later on. They will most likely leave you alone. Rest assured I am not a staff there but just to share a lobang to see the car in flesh haha. Other PIs around all very pushy and will swarm around you even after you indicate that you prefer to be left alone. You can also visit the Nissan showroom just beside the place to go see Serena and do test drive. Can do it all in 1 weekend afternoon to see if this type of minivan is for you and your family.

Thanks! I long ago accepted that to have space must drive a van or bus lor... I was even looking at the Hyundai Starex and the Maxxus G10 but those are pretty expensive.

• Praise 1

In japan when collecting car the sales staff will do a full intro of the car. But I never have this kind of treatment over here despite the number of new cars from different brands I bought over the years. Only my Mazda SE I remembered bother to spend abit more time to go through some basic functions, the rest just 5min chop chop and handover the key.

This Feb/2021 delivery demo video is really comprehensive and covers all aspect and angle of the car.  Good for new Spada owners here to know more about their car before taking delivery. Do turn on the closed caption (CC) and select english subtitle unless you understand japanese language.

Btw the huge 10"display is an optional item. Normally is 7" only.

Edited by Heartlander

In less than 10 days time would be my first year anniversary with this ride. Really glad to have got it as even now still very much enjoying the ride.

The only "negative" point if I might stretch would be the FC that is inferior to a hybrid ride. Did not think about getting the Steppie Hybrid then as already feeling blessed to be able to own this ride that I love. With the hybrid variant been $10k more, should have got it as can easily offset with the savings in petrol. But I was not willing to try my luck further haha. So those considering this ride better weigh the option carefully, and get the hybrid variant if you are clocking around 20,000km yearly as can save $10k easily over 10 years.

But even as a petrol car, its FC figure is actually quite good. Recently getting just over 600km per tank of 47L fuel successively after downgrading the fuel grade from 98 to 95 to save money. Expecting worse FC but seems a bit better. I just pumped tyre pressure to 270 which must have played a part, as i do every month or 2, and I also observed that changing fuel between Sinopec and SPC seems to improve the FC as compare to using the same fuel type all the time. All in all, I could get between 550km to 600km per tank of fuel which put it to be the most frugal car I ever own, better than even the smaller hatch like Latio and B180 and MPVs like Touran and Carens and Biante. So definitely no complain if considering that it is a petrol car haha.

I would think being a Honda it is quite modern in both interior and exterior design thus contributing to my affection as compare to a apek car like Biante, though the shape is not well received by some people. The fact that it is really chockfull of features make me have less reason to lust after other rides. Really hope to be able to keep it for longer though the urge to replace it with a more frugal ride is always there to be honest. The fact that nobody is talking about this car, even in its facebook forum which is damn quiet all along, is good testament to the car being a non-event car without any issues even minor ones. Bravo.

Another thing I would like to do with this ride would be to put it to RV mode and camp along East Coast Park in near future. This ride is really cut out for this as it is very spacious and comfortable for prolong stay. Understand not possible to do that now under covid measures, but should be able to fulfill this wish soon lah. Keeping fingers crossed haha.

Below is the hybrid version. Also quite new video. Do not understand japanese? Not an issue just turn on CC and select english with abit of common sense will do.

The Spada below was just collected last week. The young couple with baby is really blessed to have such a wonderful ride and they do enjoy it vey much from the video. Again, use english Close Caption to understand the contents if you not fluent in japanese.

Nice feedback bro... I like the car too... but no hope of driving this generation one... cos my own car only 6 years old... 

Actually I don't think you can save $10,000 in fuel use with the hybrid. You need to save $1000 per year which works out to $83 per month... which works out to about $20.75 per week. You pump 47 L for 600 km which is your best performance so far... since you pump RON95 which costs $2.36 at Esso (what I am familiar with), one tank will cost = $110.92 without discount. If you pump only a week, then needing to save about $20.75 means the hybrid must save 8.79 L of petrol in one week and that works out to 18.70% savings in petrol volume pumped per week... that would be phenomenal savings even by hybrid standards... this is just to break even the $10,000 capital sunk into the initial car price, without factoring in the interest that it will cost given that you have to take a loan for that additional amount... granted that interest rates aren't high now, it will still add a few hundred dollars to the overall interest rate.

If you only pump once in two weeks like I do, then it's impossible to save anything and break even, not to say offset the capital layout... 

↡ Advertisement