New 5th Generation Honda Stepwagon

Carbon82

Went to see the car yesterday. They only bring in the SPADA version. Scrutinised every bit because was wondering to buy Toyota triplets or buy Honda Stepwagon. Price is 157k for guaranteed COE. OMV is about 21k to 22k It is under Cat B bcos BHP is 150. Car is low so is it very convenient for old people to go in and out of the vehicle. Rear aircon control is located on the 2nd row right top. Window is big and the rear passenger window can be wound down until about 4/5 of the whole window. There will still be a bit of the window protruding out. There are inbuilt curtain blinds on both sides of the sliding door...so no need for curtains liao.

Special thing is the two way rear boot door. One winning feature is that the person can open the side swing rear door from inside...that is a very plus point for me. No other MPVs can be opened from inside for the rear boot door. Both third row rear seats can be folded flushed into the floor board with an easy tug of the rope. So this means that if you leave things in the boot, you will need to take out the items first from the boot. Toyota triplets third row seats are kept upwards by the side. There is a 12v power outlet at the last row on the left passenger side. Left passenger seat is a two seater and the right passenger seat is a single seater. Although the two seater can be a bit squeezy if you sit two people. Car is tall and spacious and feels very airy.

Centre row captain seats can be easily slide forward and backward though I was a bit lost on how to slide forward when you are outside the car. Auto sliding doors still need you to tug at the handle to open. Different from the Toyota triplets where there is a button on the door handle to open the sliding door.

For the front, driver has the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel as compared to Toyota triplets which is a stalk protruding out at the steering wheel. When you on the headlights, there are small interior LED lights that will light up the compartment on the driver side as well as on the passenger side. LED lights looks cool. There are two strips of DRLs on each side of the headlight. Look carefully at the top part of the grille, there is also a row of thin DRL just below the chrome part when you on the lights...I did not notice it until much later.

Hmm...I may go for Stepwagon when the price is right..the rear boot door is the winning factor for me...very convenient.

• Praise 4

given the low OMV and high price (compare to Toyota triplets) and unpopularity (i.e. more difficulty to find parts), looks like this model will not do well in our market.

I'm seeing more PI posting price list so I think there is potential that this will get popular comparing to the previous version of StepWGN at least....taking into account of the 2 key features - Turbo VTEC and Waku Waku door. Waiting to see more Honda die hard fans to pursue this.

• Praise 1

got so much meh [grin] , i doubt so sia , probably 150-170hp and 200-230nm

it's Vtec + Turbo, should be able to output above 200bhp at high rpm,

but don't think ADs will bring in TC version,

I'm seeing more PI posting price list so I think there is potential that this will get popular comparing to the previous version of StepWGN at least....taking into account of the 2 key features - Turbo VTEC and Waku Waku door. Waiting to see more Honda die hard fans to pursue this.

no lah, Honda fans favorite is sedan instead of MPV.

if Honda equip this TC engine into civic, I sure get one if it's within my budget :D

• Praise 1

got TC la....anyway they only produced this new version with 1.5L turbo VTEC.

even the basic 1.5 G version...

150PS (5500 rpm)
203Nm (1600-5000rpm)
in fact StepWGN is the first car within Honda to start using the 1.5L Turbo VTEC engine...read here at their global website.

• All-new Step WGN became the first Honda vehicle equipped with a 1.5-liter direct injection VTEC TURBO engine whose direct injection system, small-diameter turbine and dual VTC help improve the turbo effect in low rpm range, enabling the engine to demonstrate power equivalent to that of a 2.4-liter engine even while driving with multiple passengers and on hilly roads.

and for sure if you have $$$ to spare...

Civic Type R Euro 2.0 Turbo VTEC at 306BHP (7000rpm) [:p]

http://world.honda.com/news/2015/4150702Civic-Type-R/index.html

But

Honda is on it's way to be like Volkswagen, Audi....with Turbo VTEC, also Turbo Diesel path i-DTEC (although i think this will be more in Europe).

We should see more newer models getting these new small and efficient engines.

Jade RS is the 2nd car from Honda to use 1.5L Turbo VTEC after StepWGN

http://world.honda.com/news/2015/4150521All-New-JADE-RS/index.html

As this is a PI car and using latest new 1.5L VTEC turbo engine, anyone knows any workshop in can warrant and service this car ?

• Praise 1

As this is a PI car and using latest new 1.5L VTEC turbo engine, anyone knows any workshop in can warrant and service this car ?

i sent to see the spada last night. PI give 5 years warranty so i supposed they will supply all parts right?

salesman also said more cars with the same 1.5 turbo engine will be available soon. for those who is buying just have to prey hard they don't come out with a new version of engine and fit the new hondas with it.

omv about 25K (claimed) price around 14xk after cev rebates, since got cev rebates, meaning parf value also reduced and therefore depreciation will be much higher compared to triplets without cev rebates but similar or higher omv (and priced).

so i now inclined more towards the triplets due to these 2 factors

My current car is an Edix and it has served us well. Have been searching for a replacement vehicle and was waiting for the COE prices to come down before deciding. Narrowed down to Biante/Toyota Triplets/Stepwgn as they best fit our needs. Since we have been driving an Edix which is a pretty rare car in it's own right, we're not hung up over AD workshops.

Anyway, we have previously viewed a Noah were pretty much set on the Toyota prior to the Stepwgn launch. Current pricing for Stepwgn is nearly 7k higher than Noah/Voxy and close to that of the Esquire. Despite that, the current pricing is nearly 14k cheaper compared to launch price due to COE. Hong Kong is the only country outside of Japan where the Stepwgn is available via official channels. You can check out the Spada specifications here which are pretty close to what's coming from Japan units except maybe the paddle shifters. Note the airbags for Spada version.

http://www.honda.com.hk/index.php/en/models/new-stepwgn-home/item/new-stepwgn-specification

From the front and when seated inside, I've to say that the Toyota's feel more spacious although from specifications, they're almost identical in dimensions, may be some optical illusion due to the shape of the bonnets.

In both cars, the 3rd row middle seat is probably too squeezy and slightly hard for someone to sit there for longer distances. The Biante has the most comfortable 3rd row for 3 people. If you need to fetch 7 people, the better configuration is 2-3-2 using the 8 seater variants.

End of the day, what swayed us to book the Stepwgn was 3 things:

1. Front/side/curtain airbags as standard on the Spada - All PI's only bring in 2 airbag versions for Toyota unless specially indented.

2. 1.5L Turbo engine - Road tax savings over 10 years is $4-5k which closes most of the gap in original pricing. People have been wondering if we'd see other models using this engine. If you follow the news about the Vtec turbos, you'd know that the next generation civics will be fitted with these engines. The Jade RS has already been announced as the next car fitted with this engine, more models will come. CTR will use the 2L turbo version (something which may hopefully make it into the next Odyssey update). It's a JDM Honda with a legal turbo, what more do you need? [bounce2]

3. This is purely personal taste, but the Spada version really makes the plain Jane Stepwgn version look like an ugly twin sister. With the side skirts/rear wing and fog lights, I'm done with all cosmetic upgrades, maybe just for the visors. Saves me time/effort to upgrade exterior which is a hard thing to clear with finance minister.

So, I think there're probably less than 50 units sold in Sg so far, but what the heck, this car really looks cute and fierce at the same time in the metal. My edix is blue with full mugen kit, still don't get sick looking at it daily. I know we'll be driving this stepwgn for the next 9+ years, unless the Turbo Odyssey makes it something we can't resist! :wub:

Btw, the 20th anniversary edition Odyssey looks really great as well, power (190ps) and style. Think it's a compelling option to the AD version.

• Praise 2

My current car is an Edix and it has served us well. Have been searching for a replacement vehicle and was waiting for the COE prices to come down before deciding. Narrowed down to Biante/Toyota Triplets/Stepwgn as they best fit our needs. Since we have been driving an Edix which is a pretty rare car in it's own right, we're not hung up over AD workshops.

Anyway, we have previously viewed a Noah were pretty much set on the Toyota prior to the Stepwgn launch. Current pricing for Stepwgn is nearly 7k higher than Noah/Voxy and close to that of the Esquire. Despite that, the current pricing is nearly 14k cheaper compared to launch price due to COE. Hong Kong is the only country outside of Japan where the Stepwgn is available via official channels. You can check out the Spada specifications here which are pretty close to what's coming from Japan units except maybe the paddle shifters. Note the airbags for Spada version.

http://www.honda.com.hk/index.php/en/models/new-stepwgn-home/item/new-stepwgn-specification

From the front and when seated inside, I've to say that the Toyota's feel more spacious although from specifications, they're almost identical in dimensions, may be some optical illusion due to the shape of the bonnets.

In both cars, the 3rd row middle seat is probably too squeezy and slightly hard for someone to sit there for longer distances. The Biante has the most comfortable 3rd row for 3 people. If you need to fetch 7 people, the better configuration is 2-3-2 using the 8 seater variants.

End of the day, what swayed us to book the Stepwgn was 3 things:

1. Front/side/curtain airbags as standard on the Spada - All PI's only bring in 2 airbag versions for Toyota unless specially indented.

2. 1.5L Turbo engine - Road tax savings over 10 years is $4-5k which closes most of the gap in original pricing. People have been wondering if we'd see other models using this engine. If you follow the news about the Vtec turbos, you'd know that the next generation civics will be fitted with these engines. The Jade RS has already been announced as the next car fitted with this engine, more models will come. CTR will use the 2L turbo version (something which may hopefully make it into the next Odyssey update). It's a JDM Honda with a legal turbo, what more do you need? [bounce2]

3. This is purely personal taste, but the Spada version really makes the plain Jane Stepwgn version look like an ugly twin sister. With the side skirts/rear wing and fog lights, I'm done with all cosmetic upgrades, maybe just for the visors. Saves me time/effort to upgrade exterior which is a hard thing to clear with finance minister.

So, I think there're probably less than 50 units sold in Sg so far, but what the heck, this car really looks cute and fierce at the same time in the metal. My edix is blue with full mugen kit, still don't get sick looking at it daily. I know we'll be driving this stepwgn for the next 9+ years, unless the Turbo Odyssey makes it something we can't resist! :wub:

Btw, the 20th anniversary edition Odyssey looks really great as well, power (190ps) and style. Think it's a compelling option to the AD version.

Wow, good to hear that you have booked the Spada stepwagon, which PI did you book from and how's the warranty arrangement like?

We are too considering Spada Stepwagon due to its lower cc engine which will yield savings in road tax, petrol consumption and insurance, versus the 2L Biante and Toyotà Triples. Only concern is that it's PI car and rare in SG, and we have many rreadmany bad stories about PI warranties.

Hope this car will gain popularity just like the Vezel 1.5L.

↡ Advertisement