New 5th Generation Honda Stepwagon

Carbon82

Care to illustrate more what is the meaning of factory fitted features would end up costing 2.4 times the price?

Does it mean if the cost of let say the original head unit in Japan is 200k yen, here will cost 200k yen x 2.4?

Or you mean the overall car price?

Sorry I have never buy car from PI before and have no idea how the price is factored in...

↡ Advertisement

Link to tax structure for cars here:

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/owning-a-vehicle/costs-of-owning-a-vehicle/tax-structure-for-cars.html

If you specify a factory fitted feature, that would translate into a higher price for the vehicle and increase the Open Market Value. Stepwgn OMV is >$20k, so the feature you want will likely attract 1.4x ARF cost.

Of course, what the PI ultimately declares as the OMV is unknown to us, but directionally, it would be more expensive for factory fitted add-ons compared to locally installed features. That's why our imported cars tend to come with minimal equipment and additional stuff is locally fitted.

I heard PI can only provide Japanese manual and not English one, any idea whether we can download the English manual online or get it translated somehow ?

• Praise 1

I had gone to look at the stepwgn last month, out of curiosity.

Actually i was condering betw the previous stepwgn and wish back in 2006, before finally deciding on the wish. Now it's expiring (Jan) so needed to look around.

Before the stepwgn came out, had looked at the toyota triplets too. wife was never sold on the triplets shape, esp. the rear, so no decision was made despite the approach of the D-Day.

Strangely wife was quite receptive to the stepwgn shape. Interior-wise, is there a marked difference stepwgn size vs the triplets?

Not sure about the power of the car now, but when i tested the wish and stepwgn back in 06, the stepwgn then was markedly more powerful (1.8 for wish vs 2.0 for stepwgn). Wonder how the turbo will fare now. Anyway, i'm not hoping to find a mpv that can chiong, but just like to have one that will not struggle to move off, esp when fully loaded.

Biante is out of the consideration as the 3rd row is a bench so there's no flexibility for 3rd row sitting (either all 3 seats, or no seat...).

Was also hoping there'll be more options for consideration. Kids are now bigger and taller, so will need larger vehicle. Was hoping kia will bring in sedona (grand carnival) but they are not. Was hoping there'll be new estima, but also not yet. so for newer vehicle, now only got these minivans to consider...

• Praise 1

The answers to your query on camera/HU system are probably better answered by ICE enthusiast. Even if the PI can spec it, the SE may not be able to assure u the camera/HU interface would be compatible.

Just a layman point of view, due to the OMV taxes, factory fitted features would end up costing 2.4 times the price. Stepwgn and the Toyota minivans are longish but not wide, width is actually similar to jazz at 1.7m compared to odyssey at 1.8m for the full size MPV's. My humble opinion is that a simple reverse camera or sensor set up is more than adequate for these minivans.

[thumbsup]

Good luck with yr search!

Reverse cams are hard to use also when in motion.

I mean other than checking for a small kid not seen below the bootline. U are better off using your wing mirrors + rear windscreen to look when reversing

• Praise 1

i just think that it will be cool if have the multiview camera [:p]. Nowadays it's getting more common right, for example nissan X-trail also have, but of course I'm not comparing apple with apple.

Don't think will have the newer technology like Honda Sensing, multi-information display also right, these i know are not a must have but would be nice if the price around 140k including all these. (think all the SE saw this will ask me to go and dream first. lol)

http://cdn.mx7.com/i/2a7/koI69e.jpg

Found a nice comparison pic between Freed/Stepwgn/Stream interior dimensions comparison. The height indicated on the Stepwgn is the last version so current version may have minor improvements in space. Take a look and understand why the minivans are an upgrade over wish/stream. Have some problems attaching pics so if someone else could do it, that'd be great.

For those who are considering an estima, we tried it as well. Although the seats are slightly more plush, the headspace and general feeling in the car feels more claustrophobic compared to the Toyota triplets. Style wise, I do like the shape of the estima better, but not enough to give up the superior interior packaging of a minivan and new generation engines and transmissions. Comparing with Stepwgn, dimensions are similar externally with the triplets but the toyotas have virtually vertical side panels which give better headroom feel. Best to try them out for yourself.

Edited by Philosurfer

What the PI ultimately declare as the OMV is unknown to us? Then how do we know how much is paid towards ARF har?

Anyone know how much is the CO2 emission?

bb1314, when the car is registered, the OMV and hence ARD paid will be visible. What I meant was that the invoice the PI submits for tax declaration is subject to exchange rates + pricing from their dealer in Japan and is not fully transparent to you when you make the purchase. We will only get the OMV range that is expected.

For the Stepwgn Spada, it will be >20k though. If I go by list price on the Honda Japan website, it would be even >$30k, but I expect that the PI's would get better pricing than list price and hence be able to declare lower OMV.

I'm not sure about the banding for CEVS though, should at worst be neutral, maybe $5k savings? Good question that I need to check back with my PI.

Orh ic. Ok got it. :)

Just wondering has anyone compared stepwgn with grand c4 Picasso before? Am I comparing apple with orange har?

Our family, most of the time is 2+2 children with car seat + helper. With stepwgn we were thinking to get 8 seater, 2 child seats place at 2nd row and helper sit at 3rd row (fold one seat and she can even enter from the back waku-waku door.)

With grand c4 Picasso, the 2nd row is a 3-seat I guess helper can sit in between the 2 car seats and still have enough leg room. 3rd row will be sort of like 'bonus' seat use occasionally maybe one year 5 times.

Any opinion? I have to convince myself the 140+k price tag...

I managed to convince myself because if I can sell my current ride at break even point, I calculated my depreciation based on 17 years (combining both cars), therefore its only about $8k+ a year.

At the end of it, its your own needs and pocket.

I have 2 kids at primary schooling age, and I drove a freed, and Stepwgn has all the qualities of a Freed plus upsize, with same road tax and running cost.

It will definitely last me for 10 years, as I have to drive for 10 years due to the high depreciation (COE)

Beside philosurfer, is there any other owner here? Anyone who has gotten the car?

I'm constantly looking on the road if I can see any, so far seen none yet, old model yes seen twice.

I saw a lot of others like wish, stream, grandis, biante, odyssey, alphard, vellfire, touran, Picasso, etc etc. Voxy also seen once. is it because stepwgn is relatively new and not much ppl have gotten the car yet?

A noob question - if this model is less 'common' as the other cars, will this affect the resale value let say if I'm going to sell it 8 years later?

bb1314, there're some folks here who're interested but not sure if anyone else has committed to purchasing the stepwgn. Some ex-stock units have been sold, but like yourself, I've not spotted any on the roads as yet.

As for resale value, if you're selling to a dealer somewhere down the road, they'll find every excuse to press down the purchase price. I do think it could be harder to sell than a vezel or estima for example so there's more risk for the dealer taking in this car. Likely to fetch lower resale value in my opinion. If the market is like the current, most older cars are taken in at near scrap value unless it's a mass market model which have very high turnover. Personally, this doesn't affect my decision as I have driven my edix(also a rare car) till 9+ yrs so only scrap value matters.

The new civic will be unveiled soon, will share lots of mechanical bits with the stepwgn so normal maintenance will not be an issue later on.

http://www.mycarforum.com/blog/12/entry-4165-2016-honda-civic-set-to-debut-in-september/

yes i'm one of those whom is still interested to get a stepwgn but have not sign on the dotted line yet.

saw a silver one along Leng Kee few weeks back (by Vincar), guess someone might already ordered it and PI doing some work on it.

agreed with philosurfer, it likely won't affect me as well since i'm also one looking at using the car for 9+ years, don't think of resale until i strike ToTo [:p] . I scrapped my 9+ year Wish on Dec 2014, PI only managed to give me $450 besides my usual PARF rebate. no fantastic either.

think i might have said before, most japanese car are pretty reliable even in our hot and humid weather. names like Toyota and Honda are always at the top of the list....see this recent survey (although this is in UK and US) but anyone here has been driving these 2 brands before should agree.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/cheaper-cars-such-honda-and-suzuki-less-likely-break-down-compared-porsches-bentleys

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-vehicle-dependability-study

What are the freebies that u guys normally ask for?

Normally comes with:

1) pioneer Dvd with reverse camera

2) rear sensor

3) 3 yrs warranty or 60km

Can ask for:

1) front sensor

2) solar film

3) 5 years warranty or 100km

4) rear lcd monitor

What else?

What are the freebies that u guys normally ask for?

Normally comes with:

1) pioneer Dvd with reverse camera

2) rear sensor

3) 3 yrs warranty or 60km

Can ask for:

1) front sensor

2) solar film

3) 5 years warranty or 100km

4) rear lcd monitor

What else?

What is a rear LCD monitor?

↡ Advertisement