Mercedes E200 Advantgarde or Lexus ES250

Char

Simi? Why I hear my name. Who summoned?

PI 520d. Been driving for 1 year. No major issues at all. The only small small small issue is that my driver seat is squeaking, which is slightly annoying. I do have the comfort seat so that is known to squeak. The standard seat does not squeak.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Look for @detach8.

He drives PI 520d.

SUV is not meant to be driven that way except Macan/Cayenne.

Range Rover also can. Lol.

PI 520d. Been driving for 1 year. No major issues at all. The only small small small issue is that my driver seat is squeaking, which is slightly annoying. I do have the comfort seat so that is known to squeak. The standard seat does not squeak.

It is best to hear from owners rather than my "friend"

Range Rover also can. Lol.

Which Range Rover?

Evoque?

Sports?

Discovery?

• Praise 1

Look for @detach8.

He drives PI 520d.

SUV is not meant to be driven that way except Macan/Cayenne.

Q5 / Touareg same same,....can ?

• Praise 1

Twincharged

It is best to hear from owners rather than my "friend"

Which Range Rover?

Evoque?

Sports?

Discovery?

Driven both Evoque and Sports. Both handling feel good to me. Discovery I don't know but my colleague say ok. Feels not much different from his previous sedan just that driving position is higher.

• Praise 1

Seems that squeaking is part and parcel of owning a bimmer, my seats don't squeak but something in back does every time I go over rough road/humps. Apparently PML can fix that with friction tape high tech stuff man.

friction tape and cable tie are the 2 most high tech solution in singapore

my ride got both tape and tie ... now driving smooth like butter ... lol

Seems that squeaking is part and parcel of owning a bimmer, my seats don't squeak but something in back does every time I go over rough road/humps. Apparently PML can fix that with friction tape high tech stuff man.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

I got friction taped by pml too along the doors haha

This one i didnt complain.. Was complimentary by SE when i went to service

I got friction taped by pml too along the doors haha

This one i didnt complain.. Was complimentary by SE when i went to service

• Praise 1

Seems to be the answer to all transportation woes in Singapore [laugh]

friction tape and cable tie are the 2 most high tech solution in singapore

my ride got both tape and tie ... now driving smooth like butter ... lol

The tape is for the rubber door seals that rub against the body paint. That squeaks especially if you go around MSCP. But mine is a joint in the seat, and it's damn hard to reach underneath. I can't be bothered to fix la.

Actually the old school way was to just rub some talcum powder on rubber, and the squeaks will go away.

Edited by Detach8

Driven both Evoque and Sports. Both handling feel good to me. Discovery I don't know but my colleague say ok. Feels not much different from his previous sedan just that driving position is higher.

prev gene sport is good but size would be slightly bigger. i think evoque will be more agile

• Praise 1

Lol was that the cause of it? Yeah if it's a seat joint probably better to leave it alone. Sometimes fixing a deep rooted issue might just result in more issues.

I'll probably let Pml deal with it, later they void my warranty for not using original part :D

The tape is for the rubber door seals that rub against the body paint. That squeaks especially if you go around MSCP. But mine is a joint in the seat, and it's damn hard to reach underneath. I can't be bothered to fix la.

Actually the old school way was to just rub some talcum powder on rubber, and the squeaks will go away.

post-78681-0-14661800-1426833651.jpg
  • Praise 1

I have driven quite a few cars, E-class variants both the saloon and cabriolet are just part of them. The rest handles themselves v well when you chuck it into the corner. Not the E class. Not to mention the faint "whurrr" sound when you accelerate, even slowly, sounding like a very refined diesel but you still get that sound. It's not what I call engine note. More like engine noise.

But I can understand why one is so defensive of the brand. Just like my dad. Only drives Merc and think it's the best. Drive the whole range already except for the SUV ones, latest A and CLA series and most high end ones.

Maybe you should drive competitor offerings like a Panamera (vs S class), Audi A6 or BMW 5er (vs E class), Audi TT or BMW Z4 (vs SLK) then you get what I mean, because honestly I have. No offence [drivingcar]

Toyota/Lexus engine is v nice in my opinion, not only the V6, also the 2.4 vvti and the latest 2.5 dualvvti, frankly no match for Mercedes V6 transmission, jerky, not as smooth, and transient lag when accelerating....but I still get myself brand new merc in 2012 with 7g tronic, why? more of the overall Merc package, the luxurious feel and love the nostalgia of watching the star emblem in front.

But seriously speaking, engine wise, will choose the lexus/toyota anytime.

• Praise 2

Toyota/Lexus engine is v nice in my opinion, not only the V6, also the 2.4 vvti and the latest 2.5 dualvvti, frankly no match for Mercedes V6 transmission, jerky, not as smooth, and transient lag when accelerating....but I still get myself brand new merc in 2012 with 7g tronic, why? more of the overall Merc package, the luxurious feel and love the nostalgia of watching the star emblem in front.

But seriously speaking, engine wise, will choose the lexus/toyota anytime.

I have to agree. I still have my E250 which is a 4 potty cgi engine. Initially need to get use with its loud engine and road noise since i switch from a Lexus. But over the past years, i find that it is the most reliable car we have ever had. We kept it for over 6 years now and longest period ever owned. I think the new 7G should be smoother. Other than yearly servicing, we have changed 1 battery, tyres and recently its air con filter.

E200 Advantgarde or Lexus ES250 which more durable ( less visiting workshop ) and lower cost to maintain ? Most of my friend said European car always comes with high cost like often visit workshop and higher cost to maintain than Japanese made . Prices different by about 30K and which one gives better value ?

your comparison is unfair for ES250,

Merc E200 should compare with GS250

• Praise 1

I have to agree. I still have my E250 which is a 4 potty cgi engine. Initially need to get use with its loud engine and road noise since i switch from a Lexus. But over the past years, i find that it is the most reliable car we have ever had. We kept it for over 6 years now and longest period ever owned. I think the new 7G should be smoother. Other than yearly servicing, we have changed 1 battery, tyres and recently its air con filter.

Cannot escape the 4 pot engine sound which resembles a Diesel whurrrr..

• Praise 1

Essentially, i think in today's context, cars have come a long way. In this luxury sedan segment, i do not think there is a lousy car or one that's worth condemnation. It is down to the choice of the buyer to make a decision that he is comfortable to live with. Different strokes for different folks. It is great to see that each manufacturer has their own identity in what makes the brand unique or stronger. It just boils down to the driver's preferences and choice. Both the Merc and Lexus are fine choices and i think no one will question the choice you make at the end of the day. Go for a long test drive in both and see which one you'd prefer to live with on a daily basis.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2