Mercedes E200 Advantgarde or Lexus ES250

Char

bmw 4 does not look stylo mylo kopi-o wor ... coupe must look stylo if not no point ...

even with m-performance kit i find not really "coupe fierce"

Actually 420 and 428 are not exactly equivalent versions as they are meant as replacement for the 3 series coupe. BMW does not have a coupe equivalent for 5 series. Anyway having said that, I do like the 420/428 very much but they are very new models and mainly available as brand new or less than 1 yr old in resale market and hence extremely expensive which I cannot afford. The E class coupe have plenty of units in the resale market and at more affordable depn to me.

post-7984-0-21550500-1426657915_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

bmw 4 does not look stylo mylo kopi-o wor ... coupe must look stylo if not no point ...

for me I think 4 series looks "pretty" but E coupe looks "classy". They are quite different in a way.

anyway I prefer the outgoing 3 series coupe which sadly is discontinued and replaced with a slightly more lacklustre 4 series.

agree. merc looks sibei swee until you drive it ... lol

harlow ... grancoupe is 4 doors leh ...

Paiseh.. The BMW nomenclature is too confusing.

The 4 series is the coupe version for the 3 series but have a 4 door version of itself.. [sweatdrop]

The E-class coupe looks very good but awful the drive. The 4 series look younger, more sporty and vulgar and drives much better.

That said, even though they are of different class, but they are almost direct competitor. Just like how the C class got no convertible, the E class have. In this case, I believe it competes with the 4 series convertible (new model). And with the Audi A5 coupe (current outgoing model) since the A4 doesn't have a coupe version.

Potential buyers of this segment will be likely looking at these altogether.

My honest opinions.. My dad had the current gen E250 saloon and after that got the cabriolet version.

Very awful to drive, the saloon is marginally better. When cornering, it feels like the car is going to roll over on its sides. The flat seats aren't very helpful in holding your body as well. The gear shifts are slow and slightly retarded in the 7G-Tronic, usually in a mind of its own, sometimes not sure to upshift or downshift.

Sure, it looks nice for a towkay car, very comfortable, decent space, nice interior design and materials used. It's meant as a cruiser.. if you are an enthusiast when it comes to car and driving, the E-class saloon will disappoint you almost instantly.

If you think the e is bad...wait till you try the ES. They are just not for this purpose.

Paiseh.. The BMW nomenclature is too confusing.

The 4 series is the coupe version for the 3 series but have a 4 door version of itself.. [sweatdrop]

The E-class coupe looks very good but awful the drive. The 4 series look younger, more sporty and vulgar and drives much better.

That said, even though they are of different class, but they are almost direct competitor. Just like how the C class got no convertible, the E class have. In this case, I believe it competes with the 4 series convertible (new model). And with the Audi A5 coupe (current outgoing model) since the A4 doesn't have a coupe version.

Potential buyers of this segment will be likely looking at these altogether.

I personally dun find the E class drive all that bad le. True, it does not have as lively a drive as BMW and feels more muted, but in terms of other aspects, it performs decently.

Mercs is bad in the c class aspect as its coupe looks awful and it doesn't have a cabriolet/convertible. Mercs prefer to do the proper coupe/cabriolet on E class instead but BMW did not have any coupe/cabriolet for the 5 series. Anyway if both are at around the same price, would prefer to get E coupe as it has a bigger cabin space and boot compared to the 4 series.

I personally dun find the E class drive all that bad le. True, it does not have as lively a drive as BMW and feels more muted, but in terms of other aspects, it performs decently.

Mercs is bad in the c class aspect as its coupe looks awful and it doesn't have a cabriolet/convertible. Mercs prefer to do the proper coupe/cabriolet on E class instead but BMW did not have any coupe/cabriolet for the 5 series. Anyway if both are at around the same price, would prefer to get E coupe as it has a bigger cabin space and boot compared to the 4 series.

The C class coupe (current gen) and E class saloon, coupe and cabriolet are all built on the same platform, just lengthened for the E class variants. The drive is okay for most buyers.. not for drivers who want to have some fun. Sure, it's got some kick for straight line performance but that is its only saving grace.

No offence lah but different people buy for different reasons. I gotta respect that too. Like how my dad always insist on the Merc badge. Then when he finally got the chance to drive a Porsche, he is like.. wtf so much difference and it's supposed to be Mercedes Benz, a top German marque. Now infatuated with the Porsche lor [laugh]

The ES250 offered here.. is just a Toyota slapped on with a Lexus badge and interior. You need a smooth creamy V6 in a Lexus at the very least.. Not a in-line 4 cylinder which you can find in a Camry!!!

The ES250 offered here.. is just a Toyota slapped on with a Lexus badge and interior. You need a smooth creamy V6 in a Lexus at the very least.. Not a in-line 4 cylinder which you can find in a Camry!!!

Base on the engine and transmission alone (responsiveness and smoothness in spirited driving), personally will choose the inline 4 (ie 2.5L) now in camry/lexus ES over the 7g tronic V6 3L.

Base on the engine and transmission alone (responsiveness and smoothness in spirited driving), personally will choose the inline 4 (ie 2.5L) now in camry/lexus ES over the 7g tronic V6 3L.

I will stay with the E250 for its 1.8L turbocharged lump for its performance, fuel efficiency and lower road tax over the 2.5L inline 4, if die die stay with Mercedes Benz.

Or I will drop both and get a BMW 328i [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

I will stay with the E250 for its 1.8L turbocharged lump for its performance, fuel efficiency and lower road tax over the 2.5L inline 4, if die die stay with Mercedes Benz.

Your dad drives the E250 1.8L?

Your dad drives the E250 1.8L?

He drives the same turbocharged lump.. now in the form of SLK.

Merc fan boy [sweatdrop]

Another look good car but a trash to drive. I never look forward to driving his car, when I have to (oops). But the interior is sweet!

Your dad is driving the E250 1.8L? E Class now comes with 2.0L power plant, which I think significantly improve the drive and may be the reason why it took back the ST Executive Car of the Year Award for 2014, but you are right, the BMW and the Porsche are definitely better in terms of the drive. Edited by Voodooman

Your dad is driving the E250 1.8L? E Class now comes with 2.0L power plant, which I think significantly improve the drive and may be the reason why it took back the ST Executive Car of the Year Award for 2014, but you are right, the BMW and the Porsche are definitely better in terms of the drive.

They can change the engine performance and gearbox which I heard they are using new dual clutched gearbox now instead of the retarded 7G-Tronic. But they cannot change how the car corners.. usually gotta do with chassis, dampers and suspensions.

Of course, unless you go for the AMG tuned E63.. I bet this variant drives much better.

But then Audi and BMW can make its entry level or mainstream offerings drive well leh.. Maybe they targeting younger audience who put more emphasis on driving dynamics.

When I am old, I want the branding and interior of a Mercedes Benz, level of comfort and noise insulation of a Lexus, DSG or S-tronic or PDK gearbox equivalent for faster shifting and driving dynamics of a BMW.. can? [laugh]

Your frens r basically right. Mercs are not about value for money or reliability.

Go for the Lexus. But, if u really look only at value for money, reliability, cheap maintainance, you are in the bread n butter car category so go for a toyota, which is to be honest, a lexus anyway.

E200 Advantgarde or Lexus ES250 which more durable ( less visiting workshop ) and lower cost to maintain ? Most of my friend said European car always comes with high cost like often visit workshop and higher cost to maintain than Japanese made . Prices different by about 30K and which one gives better value ?

Surprisingly different E class different handling

I ever drove a remplacement E250 when my E250 in workshop c&c for a week. Then I drove 170kmh much more stable in nsh compared to.my E250. Maybe tyre difference

↡ Advertisement