2014 Corolla Altis - Technical, Features & Use

Kklee

bar is for better stability and handling. you will feel the diff when cornering or even straight road. you can read up more online abt the bars. currently BM only offer trd frnt tower bar, some of us hve mixture of trd & UR or juz UR bars which quite popular and cheaper (if u fixed in msia). SG price is slightly higher but this is all to individuals.

i have change the stocked Rear Torsion/sway bar to TRD one which is much thicker. this was ordered via ebay frm usa. note that the steering will be stiffer when more bars are added. basic setup will be the Front Strut/Tower Bar plus rear Anti-roll bar (UR 16mm & 19mm).

for comfort go 16mm. 19mm stiffer but better handling

↡ Advertisement

There is this "Deng" sound, like the type you hear on the plane when the light to wear the seatbelt came on.

This keep happening when I went over the MSCP bumps, especially the narrow hard type that jerk the most.

Nvr have this sound before. I remember I install an phone holder and whenever I go over the hump it give a "Teng" sound. Only realize it when I took in down. The funny thing is that the sound seems to come from electronic panel and the holder is at the passenger side

There is this "Deng" sound, like the type you hear on the plane when the light to wear the seatbelt came on. 

This keep happening when I went over the MSCP bumps, especially the narrow hard type that jerk the most. 

hmm no particular sound that i heard.

about smoothness of drive... I have the following questions.

on (busy) expressway, crusing at 60-70km/hr, often I release the accelerator completely to maintain distance from the car in front of me (but no need to use brakes yet). when I _gently_ tap/depress the accelerator afterwards, the gearbox is engaged (I am speaking like this is manual GB, but I know this is CVT) and almost always generates a shudder.

Is this normal for CVT to have this shudder, especially at this travelling speed.

It makes the ride more jerky, even my child noticed it and ask why the new car is shaky.

I will pay more attention to lower speed if this shudder is also around.

To add on. I think it is not normal. When it happen to me, it is always @ up slope. At low speed, it hardly happen. I always let the car cruise to a traffic light and sometimes when it turn green, I will need to step on accelerator to move forward. It is very smooth.

Neutral Newbie

hmm no particular sound that i heard.

My SE just gave me a call. Told me the sound is actually from the thinkware cam recorder. When there is a jerk, it will have a sound.

My SE just gave me a call. Told me the sound is actually from the thinkware cam recorder. When there is a jerk, it will have a sound.

Haha, forget about this one. I also turn off.

Neutral Newbie

Haha, forget about this one. I also turn off.

Did u turn off the whole cam or just the sound. I looked thr the manual but nth written about it.

U should go to setting and look for event detector. This feature allow the camera to be triggered when there are vibration. It seems that going over the hump always trigger it even if u set it to the lest sensitive.

Turn off the sound no need to disable the event detector

Haha I also drive like u bro.

I understand what u mean about the shudder. I was complaining about it some threads back. Before my 10K service, this shudder is also very evident and intrusive. Some how for my case, it goes away after 2 weeks. 

I find Caltex petrol give me the shudder more than Shell & Esso when I switch petrol initially. It tends to get better until it disappear completely.

When I tested the petrol, I always tested it for at least 1months. 

I remember very clearly that I dont exprenice this before 10K. It started after I try Caltex. However, I also remember that I was caught in very terrible traffic for the whole week when this start. It lasted for 2 weeks before it disappear.

Recently, it came back again  when i switch back to Esso. However, for my case, it is very subtle and my passanger dont feel it at all. It only happen sometimes. Only the driver feel it. I intend to do my 20K servicing @ Leng Kee and ask them about it.

I am using Esso 95/5000. 4th tank. 

sometimes I wonder could it be i am engaging the gear at high(er) speed causes the shudder.

To add on. I think it is not normal. When it happen to me, it is always @ up slope. At low speed, it hardly happen. I always let the car cruise to a traffic light and sometimes when it turn green, I will need to step on accelerator to move forward. It is very smooth.

now you worry me....

it happens to me on expressway so I guess even on leveled roads.

no shudder at low speed or from standstill.

is yours 2ch thinkware.

i noticed in the past few days, the rear window fogged up during/after the rain.

switching on the rear defogger works except the top part of the rear window where the rear camera is mounted. Meaning, it is filming fog. Haiz. May hv to go to accessory shop and ask if they can re-mount lower on the rear window which defogger is effective.

Hi Connor McLeod, not to worry too much. I think the ECU takes time to adapt to individual style. Make noise with BM. Review say this is car is smooth. When I test drive the car, SE sales pitch is that this car is smooth. During test drive, I maintain @ 60-70, cruise and then ram from 2k up to 5k rpm, car is smooth without shudder. Even with shudder, this will be very slight which only driver can feel. I remembered when the shudder first started, I was caught in jam and very agitated. I ram and break hard to prevent cars from cutting into my lane. I drove like that for 1 week. The following week, this shudder started. Initially I was also very worried, but it goes away 2 weeks later. Press BM to get the car to the smooth feeling u want. I remember @ my 5k service, I went back to BM 3 times within a week until they get my car to the smooth feeling I want.

I was told that the engineer that was trained on this car is stationed @ Leng Kee. U may consider going there for yr next servicing.

I knows nuts about car. I maybe wrong to say that the CVT is problem.

• Praise 2

about smoothness of drive... I have the following questions.

on (busy) expressway, crusing at 60-70km/hr, often I release the accelerator completely to maintain distance from the car in front of me (but no need to use brakes yet). when I _gently_ tap/depress the accelerator afterwards, the gearbox is engaged (I am speaking like this is manual GB, but I know this is CVT) and almost always generates a shudder.

Is this normal for CVT to have this shudder, especially at this travelling speed.

It makes the ride more jerky, even my child noticed it and ask why the new car is shaky.

I will pay more attention to lower speed if this shudder is also around.

Mileage?

Hi Connor McLeod, not to worry too much. I think the ECU takes time to adapt to individual style. Make noise with BM. Review say this is car is smooth. When I test drive the car, SE sales pitch is that this car is smooth. During test drive, I maintain @ 60-70, cruise and then ram from 2k up to 5k rpm, car is smooth without shudder. Even with shudder, this will be very slight which only driver can feel. I remembered when the shudder first started, I was caught in jam and very agitated. I ram and break hard to prevent cars from cutting into my lane. I drove like that for 1 week. The following week, this shudder started. Initially I was also very worried, but it goes away 2 weeks later. Press BM to get the car to the smooth feeling u want. I remember @ my 5k service, I went back to BM 3 times within a week until they get my car to the smooth feeling I want.

I was told that the engineer that was trained on this car is stationed @ Leng Kee. U may consider going there for yr next servicing.

I knows nuts about car. I maybe wrong to say that the CVT is problem.

Thanks mate for the info on LK servicing.

Indeed it seems the shudder is reducing over time but just taking very long to disappear completely.

With my suzuki vitara i switch forth n back between spc n esso and never experience shudder. Always on ron95. I would imagine newer ecu learns faster (i guess my old vitara has ecu but dunno does it learn like new gen ecu).

Personally i dont see changing brand of petrol can have much impact so long they are at same grade. It will be v annoying to drive in MY coz we need to pump 98.

I also plan to go cack to my se and try with him my own and test drive car to confirm the experience of shuddering.

Mileage?

Since day1 i got car

Neutral Newbie

I am using Esso 95/5000. 4th tank.

sometimes I wonder could it be i am engaging the gear at high(er) speed causes the shudder.

now you worry me....

it happens to me on expressway so I guess even on leveled roads.

no shudder at low speed or from standstill.

is yours 2ch thinkware.

i noticed in the past few days, the rear window fogged up during/after the rain.

switching on the rear defogger works except the top part of the rear window where the rear camera is mounted. Meaning, it is filming fog. Haiz. May hv to go to accessory shop and ask if they can re-mount lower on the rear window which defogger is effective.

Nope bro mine is only the single ch cam.

The rear defogger don reach the top?

U are on blackvue right?

That's the alarm for "collision"

Change in setting

Neutral Newbie

U are on blackvue right?

That's the alarm for "collision"

Change in setting

Mine is thinkware. Read the manual but there is nothing written on how to off the alarm.

Thanks mate for the info on LK servicing.

Indeed it seems the shudder is reducing over time but just taking very long to disappear completely.

With my suzuki vitara i switch forth n back between spc n esso and never experience shudder. Always on ron95. I would imagine newer ecu learns faster (i guess my old vitara has ecu but dunno does it learn like new gen ecu).

Personally i dont see changing brand of petrol can have much impact so long they are at same grade. It will be v annoying to drive in MY coz we need to pump 98.

I also plan to go cack to my se and try with him my own and test drive car to confirm the experience of shuddering.

Since day1 i got car

Just for info. My millage is 600-650km a week. So my guidelines of 2 week actually translate to 1200++km travel before the shudder disappear.

Good luck bro.

I am now experimenting with those cheap rubber that provide some soundproofing. It helps a bit but tire noise really cannot do anything.

Mine is thinkware. Read the manual but there is nothing written on how to off the alarm.

Bro u try under record setting and then select impact sense

Since day1 i got car

Better send it in for checks.

Take note if there are times where the judder is not there. 

In my experience with the CVT, it "behaves" different when it is not warmed up.

Nope bro mine is only the single ch cam.

The rear defogger don reach the top?

If you look at the rear window, the topmost line is about 3-4 inches from the top edge of the frame. Defog works up to this line (i leave defog on until it auto off). My rear cam is mounted in the area.

I wont blame the person who mounted the cam coz more customer would complain having the cam mounted lower in the rear window making it more intrusive.

Edited by ConnorMcLeod
↡ Advertisement